The State: A'ja Wilson talks recruitment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The State: A'ja Wilson talks recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I read the article, and don't see why it contains evidence demonstrating that she is a South Car. lock. I wouldn't be surprised if that is her choice, and think she'll be great if she goes there...UT, not so much or UNC, not the same level. But there really is no grounds for improvement like UCONN right now, with ND right behind, and that has to do with coaching and with conditioning. The tradition and the family building is fabulous at both schools too as far as I can see. As to academics, well maybe she doesn't care about that, but if she does, its ND and then UConn for sure.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First on USC. They play a very weak schedule and the SEC is a weak conference with many teams able to compete with each other from top to bottom. UConn plays a very tuff schedule and has everything to offer including players who will make her game better as well has WIlson making everybody elses game better. It doesn't get any better then UConn. So if she comes great and if she doesn't great. UConn will continue to roll. If you think Im wrong think about this. How many top 10 teams have a bench of AAs and lose to UConn by 20+? How many teams with a bench of AA's stuggle to win their conference tournments? UConn doesn't struggle. If UConn loses it surprise. There is nothing really to say. We sit and wait and hope. BTW on Breanna . It was always UConn and never any other team.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
So be a part of the best or something else. That's all cool for her. She is obviously looking for something else than the best and waiting for an excuse to go there. Opportunity is knocking for her to become something really special at UConn (as far as WCBB). Again she appears to be looking/searching for an excuse to do something else (personal, family, biggest fish in the pond,... all good). Again cool for her. I'm just not sure if she finally does come to UConn that she will be pining for the choice she never made. If that's the case she will not make the grade at UConn and fail in many ways. She lacks the desire to be the best. That's OK! Lets just move on to support those who ARE committed to be part of the UConn team. It really is a no-brainer.

What a vapid post...you question her character without ever having met her. I question your character for having posted that...you should place yourself on ignore.

Reaction Score
Why bother to recruit when you can choose? Amazing someone might prefer to excell somewhere other than UConn! Fans can be hilarious...even (esp) ex-players!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ms Wilson stated early and repeated often that her plan is to take her time, make all of her visits and then, in consultation with her family and others close to her (e.g., coaches), she will make her decision in 2014 spring and announce it.

She has indicated recently that she has not yet made this big decision.

I have no basis to question her systematic approach, her youthful wisdom, or what factors (e.g., geography, academics, coaches, teammates, NC opportunity, etc.) motivate her most or least.

Same goes for everyone posting opinions on this or other fan message boards.

So I take her at her word, await her decision, and wish her the best.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Wilson said from the start she would not make a decision until April. She wanted to make her visits and then sit down with her family and decide. No one should have any problem with her process. This is a major decision and all should respect her time frame. There is no reason to doubt her.

As to UNC, USC, UT or UConn, the question seems to be were will she develop to her potential. All will allow her to develop to one degree or another. IMO - she will be best served by choosing UConn. Based on her playing style, she has the perfect model in Stewie. Her next best place to develop would be USC. I find both UNC and UT coaching below the caliber of Geno and Dawn.

USC seems to be a program on the rise. A little to early to tell. Uconn is established as one the best if not the best. Dawn is a good coach, probably better than most. Geno is the best coach in WCBB.

So we wait.

Bottom line, best wishes to her in her choice.

Reaction Score
I have full faith in Geno & associate coaches when it comes to recruiting, for almost 30 years. In life, "Experience is the best teacher, but the most expense". Our team & it's future are in good hands. As Geno would say, 'that's why they pay me the big bucks'.

Reaction Score
I have full faith in Geno & associate coaches when it comes to recruiting, for almost 30 years. In life, "Experience is the best teacher, but the most expense". Our team & it's future are in good hands. As Geno would say, 'that's why they pay me the big bucks'.
Thanks, I'll pass it on to Geno.jk

Reaction Score
I just think it is ignorant and presumptuous, and incredibly arrogant to say if a player receives and offer and does not select Uconn, that it is because they lack a passion for Basketball.

Wow, don't you have mouth on you! Good reflection on your parents, I'm sure they'd be proud.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wow, don't you have mouth on you! Good reflection on your parents, I'm sure they'd be proud.
At least you have the opportunity to reply to his statement to you.

Wilson doesn't have that same opportunity to reply to your harsh words about her.

Reaction Score
Good discussion. I'm amazed how it's brought out the haters tho. I was told when I joined this forum that this was how to bring out the best and worst in BY posters. I am proud that most of the responses were respectful and insightful. Curious tho as to the nasties. Attacking a poster's character tells alot about someone. I'm really glad I posted the original thought. I found out that most BY'rs are good people. Kudos (you know who you are).

Reaction Score
At least you have the opportunity to reply to his statement to you.

Wilson doesn't have that same opportunity to reply to your harsh words about her.

I never said anything harsh about her. I just questioned her commitment. And by the way you have defended her honor sir. A true knight.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I never said anything harsh about her. I just questioned her commitment. And by the way you have defended her honor sir. A true knight.

Uh huh, questioning her commitment isn't harsh?

Your first post in this thread was insulting. You might not think so, but it is.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I suspect UcM's folks have been very proud. Of course, I have as much evidence for that as you had for your assertions.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to her.
That's my thoughts as well-- if you meant it in a pos. way. Having sifted through a number of the responses I'm beginning to wonder how many of my fellow Boneyarders could do with a reading course. There is absolutely nothing that say this young woman is leaning one way or another. Who amongst us would not be moved by hearing a mob shout your name-- we want you. Wow! The fact that she didn't sign on the dotted line the next day tells me that she isn't spineless. Why wouldn't her visit to USC and Tenn go well? And she may have been freezing in CT-- but, she didn't slip on the ice decking the campus. All the lunacy about her not wanting to be at the best, with the best (coaches, players, etc) is childish. If she is willing to work she could be the best wbb player of her class where ever she ends up. Harvard U is a 1st rate U, but it isn't for everyone. Others may prefer UC-Berkl., Swartmore, Bates, Trinity C in Hart. Being an elite bb player doesn't exclude the desire to have good social relations outside of bb. She has won a lot of medals so the idea that she is possessed in winning a natl champ in college may not be a goal in-and-of-itself. At least not as mindless as so many here think. It would be nice if she comes to Conn, but I would be just as glad to see her go to USC and spread the wealth a bit. Blaze your own path A'ja- whether it be Uconn, USC or where ever. And enjoy the glory that waiting brings- it doesn't last forever.

Reaction Score
Interesting article. I know I'm in the minority here, but it seems to me that the young lady is either confused or unable to commit. I think UConn should reconsider their offer to this lady. If she finally (with reservations) decides to come to UConn, it will be nothing but trouble. I say let her go and wish her the best of luck. You know that once the attention is off her decision and it's time to be molded by Geno with all the associated challenges as well as surrounded by great COMMITTED players she'll be filled with regret. Let's focus on ladies that want to be champions. Pull the plug.

I think your the one confused! This young lady wants to take her time. What's wrong with taking your time about one of life's major decisions. Should she stay home and help state U, or Go away and play for Geno (I know Dawn is good, but she is not Geno and that is a big deal).
Nothing but trouble!, she's supposed to be a fantastic person who has already played on team USA with, and is close friends with 3 of our current players. She brings a size and skill set that makes her a potential game changer along the lines of Breanna Stewart.
It won't be because of reservation that she chooses Uconn, it will be because she sees Uconn as the best place for her to attain whatever goals she has set out for herself on and off the court.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's my thoughts as well-- if you meant it in a pos. way.
I did. The kid should go where she wants to go. Whatever she thinks works best for her. I'd love for her to come to UCONN. We could definitely use that kind of talent and height.

but I would be just as glad to see her go to USC and spread the wealth a bit.
I don't agree with you here. I wouldn't be near as glad. :rolleyes:

But hopefully she would be. If that's what she decides.

Reaction Score
When I read sawxfan23's comment about FSU and Clemson moving to the SEC (thus opening slots in the ACC for Uconn and Cincinnati), I checked with my son in Florida (he is an SEC football fanatic). He confirmed that he has been aware of this rumor for the past year. He tells me that the SEC really wants FSU and Clemson and indeed wants to become THE football superconference. However, he cautions that in the most recent realignment, the ACC members imposed very substantial financial penalties on schools abandoning the conference. I truly hope these rumors are true and reach fruition. The AAC is a disaster and will become even more so after Louisville and Rutgers depart. In my judgment, the mediocrity of the conference will inevitably impact on recruitment.

Reaction Score
When I read sawxfan23's comment about FSU and Clemson moving to the SEC (thus opening slots in the ACC for Uconn and Cincinnati), I checked with my son in Florida (he is an SEC football fanatic). He confirmed that he has been aware of this rumor for the past year. He tells me that the SEC really wants FSU and Clemson and indeed wants to become THE football superconference. However, he cautions that in the most recent realignment, the ACC members imposed very substantial financial penalties on schools abandoning the conference. I truly hope these rumors are true and reach fruition. The AAC is a disaster and will become even more so after Louisville and Rutgers depart. In my judgment, the mediocrity of the conference will inevitably impact on recruitment.
I too hope the two teams leave the ACC. The financial penalties for any additional teams leaving the ACC will be set by the Maryland lawsuit. The amount probably will be substantial, but affordable when considers the additional annual revenue accrued by moving to the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom