The State: A'ja Wilson talks recruitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The State: A'ja Wilson talks recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Well get used to it because that is where UConn will be within the next 5 yrs.
I hope so- why do you think it will happen? why the time table you speak of? and why not the Big Ten? I am just curious on your thoughts, and I hope you are right- the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
I think it's unfair to imply Wilson is fickle when she has said all along when her decision timetable is. And it's a little ridiculous to have an attitude as if UConn is entitled to a recruit just because they want her. And frankly, it's not an ideal fit at this point in time because she has explicitly said what position she wants to play and UConn didn't sign any bigs from 2013 or 2014 to guarantee that she will have that opportunity. If Kalani Brown and DeJanae Boykin were on board, then UConn would be a great fit, so why not get on their cases for not committing? I'm sure most here had heard of Boykin before Wilson as the latter wasn't nationally known until after her late growth spurt. She wasn't invited to the U16 trials and though she was invited to the U17 trials, she did not participate. In all likelihood, the crux of her recruitment didn't start to heat up until much later than the typical elite prospect, so it makes perfect sense that she's taking a longer time to come to a decision.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I hope so- why do you think it will happen? why the time table you speak of? and why not the Big Ten? I am just curious on your thoughts, and I hope you are right- the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Big10 would be my first guess as well. I have heard it on good faith here in Chicago that its not out of the possibility.

Reaction Score
It sure does sound like South Carolina is her first choice. As good as they are right now, she would give them a shot at the National Championship.

Reaction Score

I think that FSU and Clemson are going to the SEC to make a Football Super Conference and UConn will take one of those spots that open up. I think this is going to happen due to rumors in the Football community. I feel the ACC will be the landing spot due to a history with teams like Cuse, ND, BC, Miami, Pitt. I also think that the ACC makes logistical sense when it comes to travel. Finally I think that ACC is, was, and will always be known as a Basketball conference and UConn is a national Basketball power every year in both Mens and Womens.

Reaction Score
I think it's unfair to imply Wilson is fickle when she has said all along when her decision timetable is. And it's a little ridiculous to have an attitude as if UConn is entitled to a recruit just because they want her. And frankly, it's not an ideal fit at this point in time because she has explicitly said what position she wants to play and UConn didn't sign any bigs from 2013 or 2014 to guarantee that she will have that opportunity. If Kalani Brown and DeJanae Boykin were on board, then UConn would be a great fit, so why not get on their cases for not committing? I'm sure most here had heard of Boykin before Wilson as the latter wasn't nationally known until after her late growth spurt. She wasn't invited to the U16 trials and though she was invited to the U17 trials, she did not participate. In all likelihood, the crux of her recruitment didn't start to heat up until much later than the typical elite prospect, so it makes perfect sense that she's taking a longer time to come to a decision.

So be a part of the best or something else. That's all cool for her. She is obviously looking for something else than the best and waiting for an excuse to go there. Opportunity is knocking for her to become something really special at UConn (as far as WCBB). Again she appears to be looking/searching for an excuse to do something else (personal, family, biggest fish in the pond,... all good). Again cool for her. I'm just not sure if she finally does come to UConn that she will be pining for the choice she never made. If that's the case she will not make the grade at UConn and fail in many ways. She lacks the desire to be the best. That's OK! Lets just move on to support those who ARE committed to be part of the UConn team. It really is a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
This is interesting. Does anyone know of other top-ten recruits that waited until the presumed regular signing period (late compared to most recruits) ? Of those, how many were successful in their final choice? How many actually transferred out after 1 or more years? How do those rates compare to early signings? I don't have that kind of information, nor would I know where to look, But, those type of statistics may support or refute some of the assertions made. I trust Geno, he's had a history that makes me accept whatever he does. So, if he's willing to wait, I think that is right thing to do. The statistics may give some indication how likely she is to make the right choice.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
So be a part of the best or something else. That's all cool for her. She is obviously looking for something else than the best and waiting for an excuse to go there. Opportunity is knocking for her to become something really special at UConn (as far as WCBB). Again she appears to be looking/searching for an excuse to do something else (personal, family, biggest fish in the pond,... all good). Again cool for her. I'm just not sure if she finally does come to UConn that she will be pining for the choice she never made. If that's the case she will not make the grade at UConn and fail in many ways. She lacks the desire to be the best. That's OK! Lets just move on to support those who ARE committed to be part of the UConn team. It really is a no-brainer.
Why would you say that? Why question her drive and desire just because she is deliberating between schools? Even if she chooses S. Carolina, Tennessee or UNC, how does that choice indicate that she lacks a desire to be the best? Is that the way you feel about all recruits that opt to play for someone other than Geno?

Reaction Score
Why would you say that? Why question her drive and desire just because she is deliberating between schools? Even if she chooses S. Carolina, Tennessee or UNC, how does that choice indicate that she lacks a desire to be the best? Is that the way you feel about all recruits that opt to play for someone other than Geno?
Do you know of a better coaching staff? I can't think of one that I'd take over Auriemma and Company, so yeah, it's kind of true if you want to be coached by the best you go to UConn. If you want to have a legitimate shot at winning a national championship, can you name a school that has a better chance of doing it than UConn? I can't think of one. So yeah, if you want to win national championships, UConn is probably your best shot at it. Of course a student-athlete has many other factors that determine where they end up, but for pure basketball factors, UConn far and away has the monopoly right now in pretty much every facet of the game.

Reaction Score
Interesting article. I know I'm in the minority here, but it seems to me that the young lady is either confused or unable to commit. I think UConn should reconsider their offer to this lady. If she finally (with reservations) decides to come to UConn, it will be nothing but trouble. I say let her go and wish her the best of luck. You know that once the attention is off her decision and it's time to be molded by Geno with all the associated challenges as well as surrounded by great COMMITTED players she'll be filled with regret. Let's focus on ladies that want to be champions. Pull the plug.

Huh???????????????

If she commits to UCONN how can you point to "reservations" when she will be speaking of the virtues of her decsion? Trouble? Huh?

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
This is interesting. Does anyone know of other top-ten recruits that waited until the presumed regular signing period (late compared to most recruits) ? Of those, how many were successful in their final choice? How many actually transferred out after 1 or more years? How do those rates compare to early signings? I don't have that kind of information, nor would I know where to look, But, those type of statistics may support or refute some of the assertions made. I trust Geno, he's had a history that makes me accept whatever he does. So, if he's willing to wait, I think that is right thing to do. The statistics may give some indication how likely she is to make the right choice.

Shoni Schimmel, #8 in her class, did not make her decision until the day if her high school graduation. It was official several weeks later when she enrolled in classes.

HGN

Reaction Score
After reading the article I feel she is still very much undecided. Seems she enjoyed her visit to UT also. We know she enjoyed her visit to USC as well. Hearing fans call out her name as her picture is shown on the jumbo screen. What 18 year old would not be overwhelmed ? She knows all about the winning tradition at UCONN and was probably impressed with her UNC trip too. But all in all , I didn't get the sense that she has decided anything yet and is very much still up in the air. Is there pressure on her , ABSOLUTELY.

Every year STAR players are plagued with this decision. Do I stay or do I go ? The home state crowd and family may want them to stay, as expected , but its the player who has to enjoy those next 4 years..... Or not. Diana Taurasi had to make that choice , KML , Stewie , Maya Moore , Mercedes Russell (to UT) from Oregon , Griner , etc... They all were faced with the same tough decision. Do I stay or do I go ?? Some , such as Taurasi and KML , came clear across the country and was glad they did. There families and fans wanted them to stay local too. Some stayed close to home as Griner did , and was glad . So whatever decision Wilson makes will be the right one for her and a good decision.

And whatever decision that is , I for one will wish her the best of luck and will still be a fan.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The opinion of that poster is not the opinion of 99% of the posters here. Any similarity to reality is just an illusion and should not be taken seriously.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The opinion of that poster is not the opinion of 99% of the posters here. Any similarity to reality is just an illusion and should not be taken seriously.
I'm actually hoping your estimate is low on that one....

Reaction Score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geno_Auriemma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Huskies_women's_basketball

These are the easiest sources of information on my stance. I'm not criticizing the young lady for her decision, or lack thereof.
But if you are committed to the sport there is no other choice, period. I'm stating that she is thinking of other priorities by delaying her announcement and that if she chooses UConn she may not be UConn material because she has reservations about what she wants to do with her life. This will lead her and us into the land of anguish in the coming years.

When UConn made me an offer I took it because it was directly consistent with the direction I was determined to go. No second guesses, no regrets. I was committed and it paid off. Others were not committed and they failed. simple logic. Stewie's decision to go to UConn was incredibly mature. Read the above links and see if there is another choice if WCBB is your passion.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

These are the easiest sources of information on my stance. I'm not criticizing the young lady for her decision, or lack thereof.
But if you are committed to the sport there is no other choice, period. I'm stating that she is thinking of other priorities by delaying her announcement and that if she chooses UConn she may not be UConn material because she has reservations about what she wants to do with her life. This will lead her and us into the land of anguish in the coming years.

When UConn made me an offer I took it because it was directly consistent with the direction I was determined to go. No second guesses, no regrets. I was committed and it paid off. Others were not committed and they failed. simple logic. Stewie's decision to go to UConn was incredibly mature. Read the above links and see if there is another choice if WCBB is your passion.
Did Lobo, Rizzotti, Berube, Elliott and Wolters lack desire when they committed to UConn before UConn had ever made it past the second round of the tournament?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Go back through this thread. Earlier I posted that #1 Seimone Augustus waited until the last day to commit to LSU, although I don't think there was ever any doubt. I don't know why she waited so long, but it definitely worked out, as LSU made the final four for four years straight.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Lets see, Parker, Fowles, Catchings, Griner, EDD, etc, etc, etc etc etc - they all have a passion for basketball, they all chose other schools, they all have had incredible success both as college players and pros. Geno is a great coach, no question, Uconn is a great program, no question, but ... it is not for everyone. New England isn't for everyone, Storrs, CT is a pretty boring town (I grew up there so I should know!), and surprise, surprise, some people don't like Geno, don't respond well to his coaching.
I just think it is ignorant and presumptuous, and incredibly arrogant to say if a player receives and offer and does not select Uconn, that it is because they lack a passion for Basketball.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Personally, I would prefer that she takes her time to make sure she is certain. She should go where she believes she will be happiest and able to reach her goals, wherever that might be. Just, to the best of your ability, be sure. I'd rather not have another EDD situation (even if that was a little different).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Diana... is that you, Welcome to the Boneyard. Good Luck with the upcoming WNBA season

JS

Reaction Score
This is interesting. Does anyone know of other top-ten recruits that waited until the presumed regular signing period (late compared to most recruits) ?
It's been more frequent on the men's side. Recently several at or near the top of the rankings. (Oh, those fickle men, confused and lacking what it takes to want to be the best.)

2012 - #1 Shabazz Muhammad; #6 Anthony Bennett
reclassified (from 2013) #1 Nerlens Noel

2013 - #1 Anthony Wiggins; #2 - Jabari Parker

2014 - #2 Myles Turner

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Did Lobo, Rizzotti, Berube, Elliott and Wolters lack desire when they committed to UConn before UConn had ever made it past the second round of the tournament?

Just to clarify: Only Lobo so committed. The others committed post-'91 Final Four.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that it's the more "marginal" players that can sometimes benefit the most from a coach like Geno. He demands a filling out of their skillsets and work ethic that they can't get at most other schools. In other words, I think he has a history of making relative overachievers.

But the apex talents - the true greats and other stars almost on their level - will be great no matter where they end up. The cream will rise to the top. They might not play the game exactly the same way as they would have had they gone to UConn, and they might not have the same mental outlook or whatever, but they still end up great.

Reaction Score
I read that and I see that UConn won their 8 NTs over 19 seasons. That means that 11 other times, another college team OTHER THAN UConn ended up NCs after UConn became a NC program. That also says that since UConn won their first NC, there have been more years that UConn was NOT NC than there were that UConn was...

Despite what many in this thread have stated, and the linked article from The State notwithstanding, it hasn't been decisively determined that Wilson won't ultimately end up at UConn after all. However, the info you linked proves that it's simply foolish to think that a top national prospect cannot become a national champion if she chooses to go elsewhere than to UConn....

How many NC's has South Carolina won? That's what I thought!!!

Reaction Score
I read that and I see that UConn won their 8 NTs over 19 seasons. That means that 11 other times, another college team OTHER THAN UConn ended up NCs after UConn became a NC program. That also says that since UConn won their first NC, there have been more years that UConn was NOT NC than there were that UConn was...

Despite what many in this thread have stated, and the linked article from The State notwithstanding, it hasn't been decisively determined that Wilson won't ultimately end up at UConn after all. However, the info you linked proves that it's simply foolish to think that a top national prospect cannot become a national champion if she chooses to go elsewhere than to UConn....
Since you've obviously done all the leg work already, based on your research of past results, if you were a recruit with national championship aspirations, what school provides the best chance of making that happen? It's like Geno said last night on his show, just keeping your players out of trouble, graduating them, and maybe winning your conference once in a while is good enough for most WCBB programs, while the standard at UConn is national championship or bust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog