THE song that means a lot to you | The Boneyard

THE song that means a lot to you

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My first song thread. Tell me, what song do you feel the deepest emotional connection to? Maybe the one you danced with your spouse at your wedding, song that reminds you of a child, or something else? I‘m talking about THE song in your life so everyone gets 1 choice.

I’m posting this because it’s a great way to get to know one another as people, not just fans. I find these threads interesting and a great way to build our community

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This song literally makes me weepy when I hear it. I was pretty young when it came out but I liked the music. The song became meaningful for me later, at a dark time in my life. Even though Don McLean says the song is simply an homage to van Gogh that also honors his struggle with mental illness, I hear a song about being able to create beauty and have the ability to share something joyous even in the darkest times.

I hope McLean takes some satisfaction in the recent celebrations of van Gogh’s works in the ubiquitous Immersive Experience that’s touring the country. I just wish van Gogh could have been celebrated in his own time.

Now I’m getting weepy again…

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This song is about survival, about coming back stronger than ever. Like a lot of people I have endured very dark times in my life but somehow have always made it through. From one of my all time favorite artists, this my personal anthem:

Reaction Score
Let me just say that I have two daughters. My youngest was the daughter that attended the UConn women's basketball games when I had season tickets. When she got married this song was played for the Daddy/Daughter dance. I could barely finish the dance as I was crying too much.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow, one song?

I'm not a sentimental person, so don't really associate songs with events/periods of my life or anything. But there are many (many) that have caused me to be overcome with emotion at different times. These could be anything from a sentimental song like Circle Game by Joni Mitchell to symphonic metal like Unleashed by Epica.

One that stands out for me: Several years ago I was on a long run and Living for the City came on the ipod. I was dumbstruck with everything about it and kept playing it over and over. The subject/lyrics are incredibly powerful. The arrangement with the electric piano and the TONTO synthesizer, and Stevie's musicianship are incredible. But the thing that struck me most of all is the singing -- he starts out singing a song, but with each verse his voice just gets a little more of an edge in it, conveying that he's becoming angrier and angrier. It's absolute perfection from concept to execution.
Carpenters Rain Day and Monday.
First time I heard this song I was in school and cannot believe such beautiful voice.. Then I start to collect all Carpenters' album.
There are many beautiful songs but that’s not what this thread is about . I’m looking for the ones that have a strong emotional significance to the poster

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"Wow, one song?" I agree with BigBoote, but for the opposite reasons Many events in my life remind me of a certain song. Those who know me on Facebook, know this is my tagline. On Boneyard music threads, I am always reminded of many songs. It is almost torture to limit me to one song. I own five jukeboxes containing hundreds of my favorite songs.

So, here is one contribution. Back in 2016, I made my own crude music video. I used freeware, LiteCam, hence the watermark. I combined two music videos of Simon and Garfunkel singing Old Friends, one from a 2004 reunion concert, the other from a TV appearance in 1968. Simon and Garfunkel were very popular when I attended UConn, and I feel like we have grown old together. I saw them in concert in the early seventies, at the Yale Bowl. A beatiful summer night.

This song is very poignant. Please ignore the crudeness of this video, and watch all the way through. It should bring a tear to your eyes. And to think, Paul and Artie and I are now 18 years older than this video.

"How terribly strange to be seventy"

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Only one song? Yea tough. Many songs I love (and that's in the 1000's) have meaning to me. But I'll go with this one. Reminds me of my son who passed away a few years ago. Wasn't his song, nor did he probably even know it. But it's for me.

Gone Away - The Offspring

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
"Evergreen" by Roy Orbison. The wife and I were 2 years apart and dating in early HS. Parents were not into our relationship and discouraged, constantly. Because of parental oversight, we were off/on for 4/5 years. We always told each other that if we believed the song lyrics, we'd persevere and prove our parents wrong.
We celebrated our 52nd anniversary this year. The lyrics proved to be right.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"Evergreen" by Roy Orbison. The wife and I were 2 years apart and dating in early HS. Parents were not into our relationship and discouraged, constantly. Because of parental oversight, we were off/on for 4/5 years. We always told each other that if we believed the song lyrics, we'd persevere and prove our parents wrong.
We celebrated our 52nd anniversary this year. The lyrics proved to be right.
Happy to post this for you, Maine fan

Reaction Score
Mary McCaslin's "Old Friends"... I first heard it in the late 70's while I lived in Colorado. By that time I had begun to notice how many people had already played a significant role in my life....and many were already moving on or about to. The words are very poignant, and sadly, Mary McCaslin herself died just a few days ago...RIP Mary, thank you for such wonderful music over the years.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I‘m talking about THE song in your life so everyone gets 1 choice.
This song is literally what happen between me and Mrs. SVC. My parents disapproved of her and behind my back did some cruel things. Mrs. SVC wrote me a letter calling off our relationship. I learned her older sister took her to Miami to forget about me. This sister was not a fan of me. I borrowed money to augment my meager holdings and flew standby all night long (3 flights). My knock on her motel door was met with her shock and her sister's distain. So whenever we hear this song we smile at each other 55 years later.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There are many beautiful songs but that’s not what this thread is about . I’m looking for the ones that have a strong emotional significance to the poster
My post most definitely has emotional significance, just not sentimental significance.

Reaction Score

A song two of the greatest people I have had the privilege to know asked me to sing at their wedding and then they dedicated it to MY wife; that truly was a nexus point that kick started our very shaky marriage back on track; not instantly by any means but somehow that event seemingly swept the BS (mostly mine) aside and got us starting to really talking to each other again. Sometimes real friends know you a helluva lot better than you know yourself…………..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom