The "Silent Assassin" Strikes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The "Silent Assassin" Strikes

Reaction Score
Unfortunately Caroline has been forced into being a high volume shooter which always kills efficiency in a UConn offense. Hopefully when the pieces get put back into place, Caroline can take the shots she wants to take and less forced shots because she's bailing the rest of them out.....
We kind of saw a glimpse of this idea last night with the addition of Fudd to the lineup. Her taking and making some shots took the pressure off of others and kept the defense honest. I don’t think it’s purely a coincidence that on the night Azzi returned, Caroline shot 8-12 and 2-5 from deep.

The idea of swapping Nika with Paige on the offensive end is tantalizing. No disrespect to Nika, but Paige is one of the best finishers I’ve ever seen. Having 3 dynamic scorers will be a treat for us fans.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think it's only fitting that she wears the number 33. Another player that also wore #33 had a lot of game winners in her home state of Massachusetts and her game-winning shot last night reminded me of something he would do (and he also did it with little emotion or expression as well). I have a feeling there will be plenty more where that came from for Caroline.

After her breakout game in the Louisville loss I made a reference that she reminded me of the Hick from French Lick and her games since then has basically confirmed my feelings. She has scored in double figures every game since then. I really hope that Paige comes back this season so we can watch Geno play a four guard offense, Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and CW with either ONO or Dorka. They would drive defenses crazy. You would have Nika and Evina who could spell any of the 4 and 2 other bigs able to come in when needed.

Last edited:

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
There was never any hesitation during that game winning drive. She already knew what she was going to do. Her subtle glide to create space was exquisite and the use of the glass is pure smarts. The stoic expression pedaling back after making the shot... priceless.

Reaction Score
As our OP says Caroline is so incredibly deadpan. Just the other day Geno said your opponent doesn't let any drawn up play succeed at the end of a game, but I'd be surprised if Caroline's number wasn't call for that play. Making Caroline's poker face all the more impressive. A real grown up.
I think Geno said it was not drawn up for her but the play was closed off so she improvised. He did not say what the play was.

Reaction Score
Just love everything about her play in the 4th.She literally was a threat from everywhere. She scored off a full court drive, she also scored on a tough post up ..I really think she may be the teams best post up player. Liv and Dorka always try to bully and find an angle to bank it off the glass which is not bad. But when u have smaller players defending, the defense should be at ur mercy. I'm not even sure what shot CD shot in the post, lol, but it was clutch. and then the final shot is just classic CD. I never loced the sneaky good comments. It's like nothing sneaky about it, she's good good. But there's a craftiness and awkwardness too her game. Like I was afraid she traveled on the last shot but it really was just the perfect move, getting to ur spot and banking off the glass.
I mean she's really been a surprise all season but the mid range shots and the way she scored against st John's and then some of her plays last night just were eye opening. Like she's fundamentally sound but also can create for herself. She's tuff.
I am looking forward to seeing her against a top 10 team again. I'll be interested to see how she matches up against Horston and Rae Burrell next weekend.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just love everything about her play in the 4th.She literally was a threat from everywhere. She scored off a full court drive, she also scored on a tough post up ..I really think she may be the teams best post up player. Liv and Dorka always try to bully and find an angle to bank it off the glass which is not bad. But when u have smaller players defending, the defense should be at ur mercy. I'm not even sure what shot CD shot in the post, lol, but it was clutch. and then the final shot is just classic CD. I never loced the sneaky good comments. It's like nothing sneaky about it, she's good good. But there's a craftiness and awkwardness too her game. Like I was afraid she traveled on the last shot but it really was just the perfect move, getting to ur spot and banking off the glass.
I mean she's really been a surprise all season but the mid range shots and the way she scored against st John's and then some of her plays last night just were eye opening. Like she's fundamentally sound but also can create for herself. She's tuff.
I am looking forward to seeing her against a top 10 team again. I'll be interested to see how she matches up against Horston and Rae Burrell next weekend.
I think Horston is a much better defensive player than Burell so I think she would get that assignment.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As our OP says Caroline is so incredibly deadpan. Just the other day Geno said your opponent doesn't let any drawn up play succeed at the end of a game, but I'd be surprised if Caroline's number wasn't call for that play. Making Caroline's poker face all the more impressive. A real grown up.
Per Geno the final play was for Caroline but DePaul's defense broke it. However, again per Geno Caroline kept moving so Nika could get her the ball. Geno said he want the ball in Carline's hand for the last shot since she is the only one who can get to the rim and make the shot.

Reaction Score
Geno said, after the game, that he absolutely wanted Caroline to take that last shot.

Reaction Score
Don’t know if anyone is familiar with Masterclass. It’s an online “school” with many different presenters. Geno does one on leadership. In giving an example of knowing who can do well in the clutch he describes a drill where the team, player by player, has to make 12 consecutive shots. Some kids can make #1 or 2 or 3 every time, but seldom make #10, 11 or 12. Some can make 10, 11, 12 every time. That drill is one of the ways he figures out who he can trust at the end of the game.

Clearly Caroline (aka “The Silent Assissin”) is a 10-11-12er!

Reaction Score
Something i noticed on the winning play. When CD started making her move to the basket, Nika stepped back and her DePaul guard moved with her and that created more of an opening for CD. if she would have not moved back, there would have been another guard who could have swiped at the ball or try to stop CD.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How quickly we forget. Lou wore #33, was a 3-time All-American, and still holds the record of shooting 10 for 10 from the arc in a single game.

BTW, Lou was key in a big win for her Avenida team last night. She had 11 points in the last minute plus overtime, including 3 shots from the arc and a steal and breakaway layup.

Uh….

1643321604067.jpeg

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
TBH, Seeing how that play developed slowly, I was more worried about Nika possibly getting called for a travel or illegal screen. I was just hoping she could get the ball to Ducharme cleanly and just get out of the way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Per Geno the final play was for Caroline but DePaul's defense broke it. However, again per Geno Caroline kept moving so Nika could get her the ball. Geno said he want the ball in Carline's hand for the last shot since she is the only one who can get to the rim and make the shot.

Geno's assesment speaks highly of Caroline, but not so much for the rest.

Reaction Score
That's Paige's moniker for Caroline Ducharme.

With 7.5 seconds left she took the handoff from Nika, dribbled right, hesitated slightly enough to make her opponent think she might shoot from outside, then arced around her to the basket, jumped back into her defenders to get a better angle, and banked in the shot, then turned, expressionless, and headed back on defense. No fist in the air, no yelling, no thumping the chest, no jumping up and down. Just another day at the office.

That, my friends, is The Silent Assassin.

I believe all superstars, no matter what walk of life and what demeanor, have a killer in them. Athletes like Tiger Woods, Gordie Howe, Brady, Federer, Stewie, Michael Jordan plus public standouts like Gen. Patton, Mandela, even Gandhi and Sister Teresa. I would call that killer "self efficacy," a phrase coined by one of my Stanford professors Albert Bandura: The complete confidence that they can perform under extreme pressure and opposition. I think it's an instinctive leaning they're born with, that through practice, dedication and hard work they turn into productive results.

We witnessed an example last night.
Caroline did it like she’s been there before! We’ll done!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since Stewart, we’ve been searching a player who can take over down the stretch, or get a bucket when you need one. Paige provided that last year, and with her injury I was interested to see who would step up.

CD has shown she is one of those players. I haven’t seen it mentioned, but she scored 10 of our final 14 points. A layup when down 3, a free throw when down 3, a layup when down 4, a 3 pointer when down 2, and a go ahead layup to win. All in the final 4 minutes.

She did something similar in Q4 against Louisville and hit a few shots in Q4 against St Johns when they made their push. I’d say she’s earning that clutch reputation. Azzi kept us in it, Caroline closed it out. Freshman stepping up.
Suffice it to say, Ducharme’s life on campus and around Storrs will no longer be the same. She’s no longer just one the players on the team anymore. Not sure if she has any NIL offers yet. If not, she will.

sun

Reaction Score
Perhaps a NIL deal with "Lucky Charms"???

Or a photo of Caroline on a billboard like this one except it would state: "Caroline says this Bud's for you!".
And UConn officials wouldn't be able to have the billboards taken down like they did in 2014.

HN27TOS3VRHO7LS4SKOELGXPHQ.jpg

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We kind of saw a glimpse of this idea last night with the addition of Fudd to the lineup. Her taking and making some shots took the pressure off of others and kept the defense honest. I don’t think it’s purely a coincidence that on the night Azzi returned, Caroline shot 8-12 and 2-5 from deep.

The idea of swapping Nika with Paige on the offensive end is tantalizing. No disrespect to Nika, but Paige is one of the best finishers I’ve ever seen. Having 3 dynamic scorers will be a treat for us fans.
What Caroline has been doing for the last 5 games or so has been with the defense draped all over her. Giving her some space?

Reaction Score
In one of the threads on Caroline is a video posted that shows her competing in high school in a contest with other heralded HS players from across the country. They had both a 3-point contest and a 1 on 1 contest with 32 players, winners advancing until finally two contestants left. Caroline not only made it to the finals but won both contests. So, she actually is really good at finding her shot and generating opportunities to score. You might not think so with her otherwise quiet appearance, but the Silent Assassin is a great nickname and very appropriate.
Recall that in the 3 point contest she beat another significant 3 pointer shooter:
Azzi Fudd!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Recall that in the 3 point contest she beat another significant 3 pointer shooter:
Azzi Fudd!
That needs an asterisk (*)

Azzi in a boot, In the early rounds, Azzi was dominant but I imagine she got tired with the boot, in the final round. Win was basically a tie with Caroline getting a tie breaker.

Reaction Score
Caroline was a rock star in high school. She HAS been there before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom