The "Silent Assassin" Strikes | The Boneyard

The "Silent Assassin" Strikes

Reaction Score
That's Paige's moniker for Caroline Ducharme.

With 7.5 seconds left she took the handoff from Nika, dribbled right, hesitated slightly enough to make her opponent think she might shoot from outside, then arced around her to the basket, jumped back into her defenders to get a better angle, and banked in the shot, then turned, expressionless, and headed back on defense. No fist in the air, no yelling, no thumping the chest, no jumping up and down. Just another day at the office.

That, my friends, is The Silent Assassin.

I believe all superstars, no matter what walk of life and what demeanor, have a killer in them. Athletes like Tiger Woods, Gordie Howe, Brady, Federer, Stewie, Michael Jordan plus public standouts like Gen. Patton, Mandela, even Gandhi and Sister Teresa. I would call that killer "self efficacy," a phrase coined by one of my Stanford professors Albert Bandura: The complete confidence that they can perform under extreme pressure and opposition. I think it's an instinctive leaning they're born with, that through practice, dedication and hard work they turn into productive results.

We witnessed an example last night.

Reaction Score
In one of the threads on Caroline is a video posted that shows her competing in high school in a contest with other heralded HS players from across the country. They had both a 3-point contest and a 1 on 1 contest with 32 players, winners advancing until finally two contestants left. Caroline not only made it to the finals but won both contests. So, she actually is really good at finding her shot and generating opportunities to score. You might not think so with her otherwise quiet appearance, but the Silent Assassin is a great nickname and very appropriate.

Reaction Score
I think it's only fitting that she wears the number 33. Another player that also wore #33 had a lot of game winners in her home state of Massachusetts and her game-winning shot last night reminded me of something he would do (and he also did it with little emotion or expression as well). I have a feeling there will be plenty more where that came from for Caroline.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Caroline has what is often called a "fast twitch", especially on the first step and after a hesitation or a fake.
She seems to go on her way in the blink of an eye.
It's probably because she knows what she's about to do ahead of time.

Reaction Score
Since Stewart, we’ve been searching a player who can take over down the stretch, or get a bucket when you need one. Paige provided that last year, and with her injury I was interested to see who would step up.

CD has shown she is one of those players. I haven’t seen it mentioned, but she scored 10 of our final 14 points. A layup when down 3, a free throw when down 3, a layup when down 4, a 3 pointer when down 2, and a go ahead layup to win. All in the final 4 minutes.

She did something similar in Q4 against Louisville and hit a few shots in Q4 against St Johns when they made their push. I’d say she’s earning that clutch reputation. Azzi kept us in it, Caroline closed it out. Freshman stepping up.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Yes, I am thrilled with Ducharme's play down the stretch and with her clutch shot leaving only 1.6 seconds for DePaul to pull off a miracle hail mary shot however, we don't win this game without the return of Williams and Fudd. Also, it shouldn't be lost that even though both Olivia and Dorka got into foul trouble (Nazlah Morrow was a beast)...when they both were on the floor they were able to hold Morrow in check and they were able to get rebounds. When they both went to the bench DePaul comes up with a 21 to 2 run...I thought UConn was going to totally bleed out...luckily we didn't...if that run was 25 to 2 we lose this game.

Also think of this if we limit that run to a 15 to 8 run (a more characteristic negative run for UConn) and we have Paige in the line-up with Williams and Paige back into game form we win that game 98 to 72 (a 26 point win). Any discussion of UConn's demise this season is way premature. I am with Tonyc on this one...no one is going to want to be in our bracket come March. I predicted in the beginning of the season that it would be raining threes and due to transfers and injuries that has yet to come to fruition...I believe by March it will indeed be raining threes in huskyland. A likely scenario for three point shooting: Paige 2-3; Ducharme 2-3; Azzi 4-5; Chistyn Williams 1-2; Muhl 1-2; Dorka 1. Total threes in a game...11-16. If the opposition doesn't have an umbrella they are going to get drenched.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It looks like the school may be looking for a place to hang a #33 on the wall at Gampel in the not-too-distant future.

How quickly we forget. Lou wore #33, was a 3-time All-American, and still holds the record of shooting 10 for 10 from the arc in a single game.

BTW, Lou was key in a big win for her Avenida team last night. She had 11 points in the last minute plus overtime, including 3 shots from the arc and a steal and breakaway layup.

Reaction Score
So refreshing, in this era of "look at me..."
when watching any sport on TV, I often say... "Act like you've been there before." when players do the big celebration kind of thing after THEY make a big play. Seems they assume people didn't see what they did??? and they have to make a "Look at Me" gesture... "Class athletes" act like it's just part of the game and get themselves ready for the next play... i.e., CD getting ready to play defense.
SMH

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I not only realize that Paige's shot was off and that Caroline's three point shooting is down the last four games but I realistically see that soon all the pieces will be in play and players will be able to play in position, the ball movement will improve, plays will be made to get players open and that slump's with good players don't last forever as witnessed by Muhl's recent three point shooting returning to form.

And given all of that, the scenario I predicted of 11 - 16 threes is not only realistic and possible but I believe it to be probable. And, another question for you to ponder is...What happens when Azzi goes off for 8 - 10 threes in one game (and she will)?

Some may think I am overly optimistic (that's okay...after all I am a blue glasses UConn fan), some may even think that I am pipe-dreaming but, I think with this group of women it is very possible. If Bruno can get 9-12 threes from unranked women just think what Geno could get from all those number one ranked women and all those top ten ranked women.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As our OP says Caroline is so incredibly deadpan. Just the other day Geno said your opponent doesn't let any drawn up play succeed at the end of a game, but I'd be surprised if Caroline's number wasn't call for that play. Making Caroline's poker face all the more impressive. A real grown up.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
That's Paige's moniker for Caroline Ducharme.

With 7.5 seconds left she took the handoff from Nika, dribbled right, hesitated slightly enough to make her opponent think she might shoot from outside, then arced around her to the basket, jumped back into her defenders to get a better angle, and banked in the shot, then turned, expressionless, and headed back on defense. No fist in the air, no yelling, no thumping the chest, no jumping up and down. Just another day at the office.

I believe all superstars, no matter what walk of life and what demeanor, have a killer in them. Athletes like Tiger Woods, Gordie Howe, Brady, Federer, Stewie, Michael Jordan plus public standouts like Gen. Patton, Mandela, even Gandhi and Sister Teresa. I would call that killer "self efficacy," a phrase coined by one of my Stanford professors Albert Bandura: The complete confidence that they can perform under extreme pressure and opposition. I think it's an instinctive leaning they're born with, that through practice, dedication and hard work they turn into productive results.

We witnessed an example last night.
A simple "Like" is not sufficient. You hit all the high points!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No fist in the air, no yelling, no thumping the chest, no jumping up and down. Just another day at the office.

Ohhhh! I get it now! I thought you were referring to my dog. She’s been known to quietly clear a room.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In one of the threads on Caroline is a video posted that shows her competing in high school in a contest with other heralded HS players from across the country. They had both a 3-point contest and a 1 on 1 contest with 32 players, winners advancing until finally two contestants left. Caroline not only made it to the finals but won both contests. So, she actually is really good at finding her shot and generating opportunities to score. You might not think so with her otherwise quiet appearance, but the Silent Assassin is a great nickname and very appropriate.

Here is the link reposted. Not just that she won 1-1 and 3pt tournaments but the sheer respect the other players give her. When someone was asked who would win the 3pt contest, everyone (except for a few who said they themselves would win) pointed to Caroline. When asked to comment, she went into shy mode.

And the way she won the 1-1 matchups, she posterized one of the players (and was mobbed by the others in delight) who walked off in the same way I imagine the UConn players walked off in summer session after being abused. How?? How??

Reaction Score
She's tough, tenacious, and possesses a nose for winning. I saw that last night with 8 seconds left, she took the handoff, started to drive to her right, didn't panic after some time expired and throw up an errant jumper, kept her head and her wits, drove to the basket and executed a good fake to get the ball up and into the basket. It was Tom Brady / Larry Bird level cool and I could not be more excited for her and the team right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. It was Tom Brady / Larry Bird level cool and I could not be more excited for her and the team right now.
Well, that’s not an uber high standard or anything…lol.

But I know exactly what you mean. She seems methodical. It could be a play in the middle of the first quarter, or a play at the end of the game for the win. It doesn’t seem to matter to her. She just goes in and makes a play. That’s pretty impressive and rare.

Reaction Score
As the after game was closed, i put it here :)
Few Thoughts:
*CD; wow...ice in her veins...need someone to score...no problem, CD is here. And she does it all with no expression...amazing!
*it was telling that the 2 main scorers for UConn in the 4th quarter were the 2 freshmen (17 of the 26 points).
*It was one of the best games of CW. she did what she is doing best (going strong to the basket) and stayed away from shooting 3's.
*The way Azzi shoots: poetry in motion.
*When CD missed a free throw, i was shocked :)
*DJ is the most skilled big we have. She was real good in this game.
*Morrow is a beast and took ONO to school but she should have gotten few fouls as she pushes, grabs, etc on every play and on offense jumps into the defender.
*it was amazing how comfortable Azzi looked on the court considering she was away for so long.
*AW??? as others wrote, this is a big mystery of what happened to that player that showed last ear potential to be an AA and now looks totally lost on the court.
*Evina: please find your confidence. we need you!
*The refs: they were really really bad last night and totally one sided. DePaul players were holding, pushing and then flopping and the refs rewarded them each time while calling on UConn all kind of ticky tuck fouls. I hope UConn sends a letter to the head of officiating with videos of those calls to complain.
*Nika does way more good then bad. her 3 pointers were very timely and needed but her game management at times is not very comforting to watch.
*the 2nd quarter was a disaster and it was clear that UConn does not have the senior leadership at this point to step up and calm the team.
*at half time it looked like this will be the first loss of UConn to DePaul so good job for the team for how they came out in the 3rd and shot very very well in the 3rd and 4th quarters.
*all in all a very exciting game to watch!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately Caroline has been forced into being a high volume shooter which always kills efficiency in a UConn offense. Hopefully when the pieces get put back into place, Caroline can take the shots she wants to take and less forced shots because she's bailing the rest of them out.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom