The Season is Not Over | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Season is Not Over

Reaction Score
That's fair enough. But you need to find an alternative if Ollie is gone. And a way to pay him.

The point of the post, even if you want Ollie gone if we miss the tournament, is that the season is not close to over. This team can certainly make the tournament, or miss it. We need to pull for them to make it. No rooting against them. Look for the positive signs. I saw several.
I agree with that, and missing Gilbert is a legitimate excuse for the way that they finished against MSU and the 1st half last night. But that is no excuse for Arkansas, C
That's fair enough. But you need to find an alternative if Ollie is gone. And a way to pay him.

The point of the post, even if you want Ollie gone if we miss the tournament, is that the season is not close to over. This team can certainly make the tournament, or miss it. We need to pull for them to make it. No rooting against them. Look for the positive signs. I saw several.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
You are awful chipper today!

I don't know. The picture is incredibly cloudy with this program. On one hand, we did get off to a slightly better start this year. On the other hand, we still lag behind where this team was, as a whole, last year. It does seem like Arkansas was a low point, and things have gotten a little better, but that was REALLY low. And playing even with Columbia wasn't much better. And last year we beat the cuse and the cuse was probably better. This year we lost. That's not good. As a result, our Sagarin ratings are falling, not rising. So, we don't look good and the trend is down. The only bright spot is that fact that we did start this season a little better. The rest is dark.

So where does that leave us? Arguing over excuses. Is it reasonable to still be bad? Lots of players left. The resulting team is young and thin on talent. But there is SOME talent and it is better than what Columbia has. And if you give KO another pass this year, due to blowing the team up, when do those passes run out? He got a pass due to injuries. If he gets a pass due to the re-start, what if he blows the team up again this off-season? Does he get another pass next year? What if Gilbert hurts his shoulder again next year? Does he get another pass for that? I mean, he could "start over" every year if it will just get him pass after pass. At some point the AD will have to say, "sorry man but I just can't. I understand you have had some bad luck but we need to move on."

Basically, people are frustrated and are probably more concerned that we will hear excuse after excuse while the program continues to die a slow death (or fast death, depending on one's perception). Some people just don't want to hear "one more year" because we are, maybe, a little better than last year's disaster and there are excuses for why it is only a little better. But I get that some other people want to give him more time. It is a tough call on both if and when to cut bait.
Not having Gilbert makes the call tougher, no doubt. But there is also no doubt that teams with a lot less talent than UConn minus AG are going to make the Tourney.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
it sucks man. I wish there was something positive to talk about and I would.

go check out the game thread last night. i saw ollie into the game early on showing intensity and said that was good to see. cobb played well and i posted about it as well. the rest was garbage. And has been. thats the point of the post if there is actually something positive to talk about I will. not my fault there isnt.

edit: and for the record I have been dead on. you can complain about the negativity but I have been saying this stuff for years. At least I have integrity, unlike Stair who just flipped because everyone else is now on board saying this stuff. you never actually make any valid counterpoints to anything i say. just complain about what i am saying.

I have more integrity in my little finger than you could dream of.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This board has become insanely depressing after a loss. It was always bad, but this is ridiculous.

Did all the people who are seemingly moving on to next year even watch the game? Did you see:
1. Vital and Adams making outside shots.
2. Cobb utterly transforming the offense with his passing, especially outlet passing. Some nice post moves too.
3. Much better ball movement than at any game so far this season, even if we didn't always convert.
4. Guys actually cutting to the hoop? The feed from Cobb to Jalen for a dunk. Have we seen anything like that this year?

People are acting like their dog just got run over this morning, when I actually had more positive takeaways from this game than any we've played. They still need to learn how to play defense, and the referees really did them no favors last night. But Syracuse is a very tough match-up for us, with a ton of length, good outside shooters and athleticism. We lost by 9 in a neutral court game to a 7-1 ACC team. Since when is that a catastrophe?

Get over yourselves. We will blow-out Coppin State (count on it) and head to Arizona. Not a game we are expected to win, but I bet you it is under 10. Then @ Auburn, where I think we can surprise them. Then home for WSU for another tough game. Then we have five straight that we should win before Nova.
For the love of all basketball, can we stop with the rationalization of all this. Yes, as fans we are spoiled, so what! Calhoun started a tradition we never had. He also, put his man up for this job thinking he was the right fit. None of know what transpired during the hand off. I will say though if I took over a program that has had great success with the model in place, I would not fix what is not broken. The league definitely has a part but that is not affecting Cincy, SMU, etc... Ollie needs to go plain and simple. The national feeling or perception of UCONN basketball is a joke right now and is only getting worse. Anyone at the game last night or any game leading up to can find a BRIGHT spot and rationalize the inadequacies this team and coaching staff has because they feel like, hey a rebound here, a steal here and we were there. I can only tell you, I remember saying that before Calhoun got there and we only lost by 4,5, 6, 7 points vs Georgetown, Cuse, St Johns.. sad really, if after all this program has gone through, we are now going back to morale victories.. nothing against you or anyone on this board, but we can all agree this program, players and its fans deserve better..

Reaction Score
I do think you are a lesser fan if you hop on this forum with a diverse group of UCONN fans in order to pimp yourself out as the Greater Basketball Mind ... and we ought to yield to your wisdom.

Look: you watch the first time up the floor. Syracuse has 5 Starters 7-2; 6-8; 6-8; 6-6; 6-5. And that Zone looked longer and taller than ever. And we have pretty average CBB 3 point shooters. Over trees.

How would Jim Calhoun attack? Pretty much the same. We are short a few offensive scorers.

The intensity - the response of young kids to KO - the fight after being down high teens ... all promising. Quite frankly (see what I did there). I know ... you're New England curmudgeon-like trolls. You've always existed on the Boneyard; more likely to come out after dark and a loss. I've seen all this before. It's going to be a long year. Our Best Hope ... 10-12 league wins. And that probably doesn't get us in the MM.

But don't crush HuskyHawk: he was right. There were positives. But that Matchup sucked for this UConn MBB team.

Yeah. I'm pissed no one blocked out Moyer.

If you are betting against UConn success ... I think you're - once again - the worst segment of a Fanbase that used to support an unbelievable Program.

Reaction Score
I do think you are a lesser fan if you hop on this forum with a diverse group of UCONN fans in order to pimp yourself out as the Greater Basketball Mind ... and we ought to yield to your wisdom.

Look: you watch the first time up the floor. Syracuse has 5 Starters 7-2; 6-8; 6-8; 6-6; 6-5. And that Zone looked longer and taller than ever. And we have pretty average CBB 3 point shooters. Over trees.

How would Jim Calhoun attack? Pretty much the same. We are short a few offensive scorers.

The intensity - the response of young kids to KO - the fight after being down high teens ... all promising. Quite frankly (see what I did there). I know ... you're New England curmudgeon-like trolls. You've always existed on the Boneyard; more likely to come out after dark and a loss. I've seen all this before. It's going to be a long year. Our Best Hope ... 10-12 league wins. And that probably doesn't get us in the MM.

But don't crush HuskyHawk: he was right. There were positives. But that Matchup sucked for this UConn MBB team.

If you are betting against UConn success ... I think you're - once again - the worst segment of a Fanbase that used to support an unbelievable Program.
I love your passion for the Huskies but aren't facts important here. Many on this board are simply stating the facts. I have seen maybe 50+ UCONN-Syracuse games over the years and last year (even though UCONN won) and this year were the 2 worst iterations of a basketball game I have seen, especially by UCONN. UCONN came back to within 7 because Syracuse "dropped the ball" themselves, not because of stellar defense like the old days. In my opinion, we UConn might have a coat who has passion but, to me, he lacks the strategic ability to adapt to the specific situations of the game. That is a big deal. Jim Calhoun's defense would be markedly better, regardless of the personnel.I hope UCONN figures it out but sometimes drastic measures are needed for the betterment of the long term.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As someone who can belabor a point long past it’s expiration date.... if you are just saying the same thing for the thousandth time we know what you think.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I’m a little surprised that Calhoun hasn’t come out and crushed the fanbase yet.

Maybe Geno should. That would be awesome.

Reaction Score
As someone who can belabor a point long past it’s expiration date.... if you are just saying the same thing for the thousandth time we know what you think.

In my best DeNiro ... "You talking to me"?

Sometimes the point is simple.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In my best DeNiro ... "You talking to me"?

Sometimes the point is simple.

I was referring to myself at the beginning and at the end to the people Dan97 was talking about.

There are 20+ more games. Yikes.

Reaction Score
This board has become insanely depressing after a loss. It was always bad, but this is ridiculous.

Did all the people who are seemingly moving on to next year even watch the game? Did you see:
1. Vital and Adams making outside shots.
2. Cobb utterly transforming the offense with his passing, especially outlet passing. Some nice post moves too.
3. Much better ball movement than at any game so far this season, even if we didn't always convert.
4. Guys actually cutting to the hoop? The feed from Cobb to Jalen for a dunk. Have we seen anything like that this year?

People are acting like their dog just got run over this morning, when I actually had more positive takeaways from this game than any we've played. They still need to learn how to play defense, and the referees really did them no favors last night. But Syracuse is a very tough match-up for us, with a ton of length, good outside shooters and athleticism. We lost by 9 in a neutral court game to a 7-1 ACC team. Since when is that a catastrophe?

Get over yourselves. We will blow-out Coppin State (count on it) and head to Arizona. Not a game we are expected to win, but I bet you it is under 10. Then @ Auburn, where I think we can surprise them. Then home for WSU for another tough game. Then we have five straight that we should win before Nova.

Yep. I’m thinking there are 10 toes when it’s great. A nail when it ain’t.

You can be frustrated with your team. But always proud and represent. Ain’t no half steppin here. I go down with my ship. Being a giants fan Ive seen the ups and downs. The magic and the misery. This year we had a young coach who like Ollie saw very early success and not so much after that which paralleled. Unlike Ollie he thought he was above the standards set forth by the organization and ,with some gm enabling ,seemed to try bucking the system at every turn. Injuries and bad luck plagued both teams. They both followed a hall of fame coach. One was hand picked by his mentor. The other pushed his out the door. Winning early may be a curse for Ollie when you figure he has as many rings as John Thompson, booger nose , lute , the squid , Wright and izzo. But more than Huggins, carneasecca, and Sutton. We should all be ashamed and embarrassed( at least those over the age of 30 )with this melodramatic onslaught and over reaction. I love UConn basketball ball more than any other sporting ticket there is. I spend hundreds of dollars every year to get geared up and rep here in raleigh where they think they can ball. It pains me to think that Louisville has more pride optimism and loyalty than what is being seen hear. There is nothing I want more than to get back to what we were. But even though we hate them for who they are and what they did dickie v and the two faced ESPN ratings hunters wish us back to the BEAST and claim our biggest hurdle is the aac. That may be the issue above everything else. Where did every lock or serious recruit go after breaking our hearts? I don’t think the a10 or maac or even the aac poached us. Ollie may be the only thing getting us who we have. Chill( who has been here for 5 minutes and has yet to get going) is a bonafide recruiter. Let him lock up a class. Unlike bob Mac. Kevin Ollie will ride out his contract , not quit, but walk away if he thinks he is hurting the program. Sadly for some of you who hate him with such sad passion, his nba story and endorsements (from the best 2 players on earth), may be what is keeping us a float with what we got for personnel right now. I guess all the whiners come off as guys who buy a video game try it once and cry because they didn’t win or complete it day one. We as fans need to grow some b___s. Go huskies.

Reaction Score
Well, whomever that is directed at (I suspect it's directed at me), you can rest assured that not only have you beaten the spirit out of them but that their numbers are dwindling and yours are growing. There are many on this board who have literally made it impossible to post a positive view without being shot down within minutes. And I'm not using the word "literally" lightly. Our posts come with time stamps. An attempt to rally the troops on this board is futile...
Yeah. A fan base that is us vs them. Hurts.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah. A fan base that is us vs them. Hurts.

And the worst part is it doesn't have to be this way.

You can absolutely say "I hate Ollie and we need a new coach" if that's how you feel. God knows I had my share of "please get rid of Diaco" posts on the football board. But shooting down every single time a poster tries to say something positive because you don't like their grasp of "reality"?? What is that all about? Go get a hobby or something...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Bingo. That was not the kind of team that this team was likely to have much success against, especially playing our usual small lineup approach.

I'm not any happier with losing than anyone else. Or with poor play. I just can't let it consume me anymore. It's not healthy. So I'm going to hope for the best and look for positive signs.

Calhoun had teams that were no better than, and probably worse than, this team. Did anyone call for him to be fired? No. Why not. Because we had hope and confidence that next year would be better. And it was better. That hope and confidence is what is missing right now. The absence of it is a giant weight holding down the program. We get 4000 fans at XL...then bitch about not recruiting. You want to recruit better? Show up and cheer on the team. Kids don't want to play in front of 1/3 full arenas. Our negativity is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.

Reaction Score
And the worst part is it doesn't have to be this way.

You can absolutely say "I hate Ollie and we need a new coach" if that's how you feel. God knows I had my share of "please get rid of Diaco" posts on the football board. But shooting down every single time a poster tries to say something positive because you don't like their grasp of "reality"?? What is that all about? Go get a hobby or something...

You're preaching to people who are happy where this is don't let them tell you otherwise. They'd rather be in the "I told you so" mode than us 9-0. Of course they will say otherwise because they are the best of fans no doubt :rolleyes: but it's depressing here for sure. Guessing like me you hate the state of the program, it hurts and we're not sure what's best although we are being led to the answer slowly. Nonetheless those who continuously come here without EVER discussing a game, or a play or a player but instead are here to assure the KO haters it's working and they're happy they sucked again because AD David Benedict is now seeing what've they've been telling everyone, well they are pretty despicable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this question: does UConn make the NCAA tournament? Yes or no.

If your answer is no, then say no more. If it is yes, please help me understand how you think that is possible.

Thank you for your time.

Why do you and Huskybass have to ask the people, who would like to continue to hope for better results, questions which you disagree with anyway? Just stay in your lane and he happy we suck geez this place is awful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ollie has to keep developing the bigs. Diarra has improved over the past month. Carlton has fallen off the rails a bit, but I like his potential too.

Cobb seems to have game, but he’s only going to play 15-20 Min/G.

If these guys become more formidable over the course of the season, it would make a big difference for the offense and defense.

Reaction Score
Why do you and Huskybass have to ask the people, who would like to continue to hope for better results, questions which you disagree with anyway? Just stay in your lane and he happy we suck geeks this place is awful.

This is a message board; who stays in their own lane? It's a place of discussion where you discuss topics (this is a UConn basketball board, so we talk about UConn basketball), and if people are optimistic, I would like to know why. If some one wants to think everything is fine in Storrs, that is great, a message board is not the best place for that if they don't want to defend why they think a certain way.

It is not an I told you so. I believe this team does not make the tournament. I think this because we have a roster that lacks talent, a coach who doesn't change his scheme to fit the talent he has (we run simple NBA sets without the talent of the NBA), and our players don't play particularly hard. We let other teams have career nights, and we don't like to show up in the first half.

We are favored in 8 of our remaining games.

If you think this is all due to bad luck and the coach cannot impact the circumstances, that is your opinion. I happen to think a coach is vital to the success of the team, and I do not think Ollie is doing a particularly good job.

We are 6-3 with a tough stretch coming up, and if we do not pick up some marquee wins soon, we will fail to reach the tournament again. I realize this team needs "time", but in the real world, we don't have this time.

But everything is fine, be optimistic, keep hoping! I just don't agree.

Reaction Score
The boards demeanor fits the teams success. Of course this place will be sullen with the product that is being put out. The attendance echoes the same notion.

I wish I was not negative, and that I was optimistic, but the team I love has been run into the ground, and if something doesn't change soon, UConn will be BC or Rutgers. The line between Blue Blood and obsolete is not that much, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Kind of wish the season was over... for mental stability for all

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom