The Season is Not Over | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Season is Not Over

Reaction Score
This is a message board; who stays in their own lane? It's a place of discussion where you discuss topics (this is a UConn basketball board, so we talk about UConn basketball), and if people are optimistic, I would like to know why. If some one wants to think everything is fine in Storrs, that is great, a message board is not the best place for that if they don't want to defend why they think a certain way.

It is not an I told you so. I believe this team does not make the tournament. I think this because we have a roster that lacks talent, a coach who doesn't change his scheme to fit the talent he has (we run simple NBA sets without the talent of the NBA), and our players don't play particularly hard. We let other teams have career nights, and we don't like to show up in the first half.

We are favored in 8 of our remaining games.

If you think this is all due to bad luck and the coach cannot impact the circumstances, that is your opinion. I happen to think a coach is vital to the success of the team, and I do not think Ollie is doing a particularly good job.

We are 6-3 with a tough stretch coming up, and if we do not pick up some marquee wins soon, we will fail to reach the tournament again. I realize this team needs "time", but in the real world, we don't have this time.

But everything is fine, be optimistic, keep hoping! I just don't agree.

Fair

Reaction Score
Let me ask you this question: does UConn make the NCAA tournament? Yes or no.

If your answer is no, then say no more. If it is yes, please help me understand how you think that is possible.

Thank you for your time.

This isn't and shouldn't be a black and white discussion. The answer could be maybe, probably, probably not, likely, unlikely, etc. But the answer is certainly not "impossible".

Besides the four months left in the season, there is a conference tournament with an automatic bid at stake. so it's possible. Unlikely, maybe. But possible.

Reaction Score
I bet we lose four out of our next 6. Care to make a wager?
Wagering against a team you supposedly support doesn't make any sense.

Go be a DOOK fan or something. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk instead?

Reaction Score
Did we just become best friends?

LOL, why not seem to be losing more cyber buddies through this debacle.

Listen I'm good with it's not working. I'm not good with the broken records preaching the same negative BS every time someone tries to share some hope. That's simple, I want more and want to get back to UConn basketball plain and simple but there's still a season in front of us.

Reaction Score
Wagering against a team you supposedly support doesn't make any sense.

Go be a DOOK fan or something. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk instead?

I am simply stating I think we lose the next 4 of 6. That doesn't make me support UConn less, it is an objective thought. Why would that make me a DOOK or KU fan? That doesn't make any sense. lol.

Reaction Score
LOL, why not seem to be losing more cyber buddies through this debacle.

Listen I'm good with it's not working. I'm not good with the broken records preaching the same negative BS every time someone tries to share some hope. That's simple, I want more and want to get back to UConn basketball plain and simple but there's still a season in front of us.

That is fair. I just like the hope founded in something tangible i.e. something measurable.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to think the season is over (NCAA) with December barely started, but just a few more high profile losses will pretty much mean that. This already happened to me with the Giants, making the season meaningless for me. There have been zero indications that the team can turn this the right way. I thought Gilbert was coming into his own. His loss is devastating because our margin was razor thin as it was. No one is less of a fan because they talk about the problems as they exist whether it be players or coaches IMO. What is the alternative? Do we smile, wave the flag, and zip our mouths shut?

Reaction Score
Not having Gilbert makes the call tougher, no doubt. But there is also no doubt that teams with a lot less talent than UConn minus AG are going to make the Tourney.

Yes lesser teams will make the tourney as champions of one bid conferences.

I think the real question is: Will we improve enough as the season progresses to get an at large bid in the event we don't win the AAC ?

I'm still hopeful but it has to be quick and we need a couple good ooc wins and probably at least a split with Wichita St. and Cincinnati and likely no more than 4 total conference losses.

Reaction Score
I love it. I love this place.

1) Poster puts up a positive thread about the season not being over.
2) Within the span of 11 minutes, He has two posters betting against him and another two mocking him.

That's what this place is now. It's completely insufferable, and it solidified his original point....

EDIT: Make that three posters betting against him and three mocking him. I couldn't get my typing done fast enough, apparently... :confused:
Look, he predicts they'll blow out Coppin State. That would be super. But there is absolutely nothing in this team's resume to date that suggests any such thing. Granted, Coppin State is horrendous at 0-9, but then, beating possibly THE worst team in D1 is absolutely meaningless. Now, predicting that is one thing, predicting they win 5 straight is kinda nuts.

No, the season is not "over". But to then turn around and start predicting wins based on nothing but "faith", is actually mock-worthy.

My question to you would be, which upcoming game do you feel, say, 75% confident they'll win, that if they lose you'd think, "Oh , the naysayers may be right!" ??

And here's a tip: The glass is, in fact, NOT half full. The glass was completely full in 2014. Now, it's got some muddled berries in the bottom and not much else.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Look, he predicts they'll blow out Coppin State. That would be super. But there is absolutely nothing in this team's resume to date that suggests any such thing. Granted, Coppin State is horrendous at 0-9, but then, beating possibly THE worst team in D1 is absolutely meaningless. Now, predicting that is one thing, predicting they win 5 straight is kinda nuts.

No, the season is not "over". But to then turn around and start predicting wins based on nothing but "faith", is actually mock-worthy.

My question to you would be, which upcoming game do you feel, say, 75% confident they'll win, that if they lose you'd think, "Oh , the naysayers may be right!" ??

And here's a tip: The glass is, in fact, NOT half full. The glass was completely full in 2014. Now, it's got some muddled berries in the bottom and not much else.

How confident am I that we'll win the next game?

Well, I was confident enough to buy 2 tickets to go see it. How about you, sport? How are you helping UConn get better today?

Thanks for the tip, by the way...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Ahh yes, another guy I actually went to UConn with. Mock away. I look at the potential of the talent and room for improvement and project. Last year, Vance was like 2-20 from 3. He was awful. But he got better. Vital got much better.

I look at the team, especially if Gilbert plays, and see more talent than most teams have. I’m truly interested to watch the season unfold. Nova is a frigging juggernaut. Not beating them. But I think we may be surprised in other games. Or I could be wrong. In which case I’ll provide the matches to those burning somebody in effigy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am simply stating I think we lose the next 4 of 6. That doesn't make me support UConn less, it is an objective thought. Why would that make me a DOOK or KU fan? That doesn't make any sense. lol.

Three of the next six are games against @Arizona, @Auburn, Amd WSU at home. So you are saying we will lose to ECU, Coppin State or @Tulsa? I assume the latter.

Let’s find out. Exciting, isn’t it?

Reaction Score
Denial is the first stage of grief, followed by anger, bargaining, depression, then acceptance... this sounds like the denial phase..."if we can just lose not so bad, all is ok"

I'm at the anger stage and refuse to move beyond. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Denial is the first stage of grief, followed by anger, bargaining, depression, then acceptance... this sounds like the denial phase..."if we can just lose not so bad, all is ok"

I'm at the anger stage and refuse to move beyond. :)

That's your right as a fan. But I think that anyone not at acceptance hasn't been paying attention.

Reaction Score
Three of the next six are games against @Arizona, @Auburn, Amd WSU at home. So you are saying we will lose to ECU, Coppin State or @Tulsa? I assume the latter.

Let’s find out. Exciting, isn’t it?
This is exciting. We beat Coppin State. Now we just have to be ECU and Tulsa to defeat the losing 4 of the next 6. I see us possibly winning 4 of 6. Two good road wins and we’ll be at least tracking for the bubble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom