The school that realignment left behind: Inside UConn football's collapse - Adelson @ ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The school that realignment left behind: Inside UConn football's collapse - Adelson @ ESPN

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Andrea A$$inine doesn't have the mental capability to have written this tripe overnight. It has been sitting in her desk drawer for a while until she could insert Coach. Mora's name at the time of the hiring announcement. She is just an ESPN Shill & incapable of original thought.
star wars hate GIF

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Cantankerous curmudgeon, I've been told that I resemble thT description...lol
That may well be true but what is also true is your assessment of the article. ESPN has been holding onto this in a tickler file for a couple of months, waiting for our announcement of a new head coaching hire so they could throw cold water on our news.

Reaction Score
The article’s intention was entirely to limit public enthusiasm towards the Mora hire and take a few swipes (framed to appear as compliments) at us in the process. I personally like that they feel the need to do this and will explain why.

The firm I worked for in the late 1990’s had among their clients Ben & Jerry’s and at our annual conference/dinner in January 1999, asked Ben and Jerry to appear as guest speakers. Jerry started with a humorous story on how they met {the two laziest kids in gym class found each other) and went on to how, once they began selling their product in grocery stores, a major distributor attempted to force those stores to stop carrying their product. Jerry said he was worried that this would put them out of business, but Ben was smart enough to realize that if they were so frightened of Ben & Jerry’s product, it was time to expand.

They (northern ACC schools, ESPN, perhaps the ACC itself) is worried about what we can become and what it will do to them if we get there. The article did reopen a number of old wounds (I still feel Hathaway did more damage than P or Diaco, cringe at the misfortune of BC being on the limited committee that decided in September 2011 to add two BE schools and wish the B-12 would be given the opportunity to reconsider remaining at ten members when UT, OU et al decided to decline the P-12 invitation) but we need to put that behind us.

If Mora succeeds, brings us to where we were the past few years of RE 1.0, some of those schools will be shaking in their boots as from that point, with the people we have in place, we will be able to take the next step forward. If we do that, the schools that the ACC selected instead of us will be in our rear view mirror.
Laughter is the best medicine.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love Calhoun, but that was totally a factor. Heard it way back when that “basketball coach is a problem.”
UConn sports is really something. We don't get a sniff of the big-time without JC. Yet, we didn't make it to the big, big-time because of JC. Maybe not only because of JC, but no doubt he was a factor.

Reaction Score
That is as accurate as I have seen.

I love Calhoun, but that was totally a factor. Heard it way back when that “basketball coach is a problem.”

Now, considering what UNC did academically and the fact Louisville is corrupt, kinda rich how it turn out.

But, Adelsen nailed the dynamics.
If I recall, there was a lot of media speculation that the infractions we got nailed for were just the beginning and that more would be revealed with time. We weren't known as the UNLV of the East (lol) for nothing. Of course, time revealed that other programs had taken infractions to the next level (and got away with it) cough*UNC*cough.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That may well be true but what is also true is your assessment of the article. ESPN has been holding onto this in a tickler file for a couple of months, waiting for our announcement of a new head coaching hire so they could throw cold water on our news.
Why? Why would ESPN care enough about UConn to do this?

ESPN cares about one thing....making money. How does attacking UConn help them make money?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

ESPN cares about one thing....making money. How does attacking UConn help them make money?
I maybe agree that this story has been in the file for awhile, but even so you either run it now or kill it before it becomes even more stale. And since content is content, why would you kill it?

Reaction Score

I used to sit in on these meetings and think the world of the editors there. This was a good story. There is no “espn” hates UConn. The story is timely. I don’t know if this story was scheduled to run when it did, or if they moved it up because mora hired.

They may have had it in the que to go at the end of the season. But, Mora hire blew the timing. So that cut their losses and put it out there.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The article’s intention was entirely to limit public enthusiasm towards the Mora hire and take a few swipes (framed to appear as compliments) at us in the process. I personally like that they feel the need to do this and will explain why.

I assure you nobody in Bristol is roaming the halls wondering how to downplay the coach hire by the worst program in America.

CL82

Reaction Score
From whom did you hear that?

CL82

Reaction Score

Because you can lift the American largely due to the horrific deal that conference got from ESPN? Think they wouldn’t hold a grudge? Remember what happened to the Big East after it turned down a lowball deal from ESPN? The bank rolled that conference’s evisceration.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I assure you nobody in Bristol is roaming the halls wondering how to downplay the coach hire by the worst program in America.
I submit the Mora hire gets us out of the cellar.

Reaction Score
From whom did you hear that?
I would say about half dozen different people.

It was. “The football is just OK. We got the media market, and the basketball coach is a issue.”

They just didn’t like them.

From people inside AD department at UConn and also from ACC media/people. It was an issue. Deciding factor? No. But no one in the conference was dying to see Calhoun in the conference. Why didn’t Boeheim and Syracuse advocate for UConn?

Why has no one who has partnered with UConn ever spoke up on the schools behalf?

Remember, Nate Miles was a live issue when those discussions started. UConn was under fire for APR issues (ultimately banned), and you know what? They didn’t really like him. Personally (probably because he kicked their ass).

Not sure the acc wanted to deal with what UConn brings as far as personality, media, fan base. People making decisions just generally did not like the university as partners. Herbst and Manuel had to navigate that. Just not enough time.

Herbst and Manuel tried to change that narrative, but I always got the feeling that UConn was difficult to deal with behind the scenes for so long it hurt their relationships.

Louisville, on the other hand, had Pitino, Bridgewater, and Tom Jurich called in favors and had Mitch McConnell help him out.

Louisville became a nice option without the baggage. Lol. The entire regime was corrupt, but oh well.

Why do you guys think Kevin Ollie’s contract was so attuned to violations and APR?

CL82

Reaction Score
Why didn’t Boeheim and Syracuse advocate for UConn?
My guess is because not having Connecticut in conference gave him a competitive advantage. Supposedly he’s friends with Calhoun.

Interesting though. I appreciate the detail.

Reaction Score
Well..it was his failures in those areas that led to losing games. He doesn't have to get into specifics...we all know what goes into winning.

I have said this before...the one thing I always thought was a core Edsall strength was integrity. Wow was I wrong.

Diaco is proving to be a much more genuine person than Edsall. And 5 years ago I would have thought you were nuts if you said that.

Nothing but kudos to Diaco for being forthright. Maybe in time Edsall will be more honest about what happened.
What happened is he really sucked.

Reaction Score

It was. “The football is just OK. We got the media market, and the basketball coach is a issue.”

From people inside AD department at UConn and also from ACC media/people. It was an issue. Deciding factor? No. But no one in the conference was dying to see Calhoun in the conference. Why didn’t Boeheim and Syracuse advocate for UConn?

Why has no one who has partnered with UConn ever spoke up on the schools behalf?

Remember, Nate Miles was a live issue when those discussions started. UConn was under fire for APR issues (ultimately banned), and you know what? They didn’t really like him. Personally (probably because he kicked their ass).

Not sure the acc wanted to deal with what UConn brings as far as personality, media, fan base. People making decisions just generally did not like the university as partners. Herbst and Manuel had to navigate that. Just not enough time.

Herbst and Manuel tried to change that narrative, but I always got the feeling that UConn was difficult to deal with behind the scenes for so long it hurt their relationships.

Louisville, on the other hand, had Pitino, Bridgewater, and Tom Jurich called in favors and had Mitch McConnell help him out.

Louisville became a nice option without the baggage. Lol. The entire regime was corrupt, but oh well.

Why do you guys think Kevin Ollie’s contract was so attuned to violations and APR?
If it weren’t for your line of work, I’d say you’re crazy. but I trust you are correct to some degree. However, I think a lot of the Calhoun dislike was actually just Cuse and BC planted bs playing off the violations to help vilify him and keep him out of the ACC. Tobacco Road was openly in favor of us so I really think it was northern, unproven football and BC/Cuse lobbying that killed us.

JC and Boeheim were very good friends and golf buddies. JC openly praised Boeheim in the press and spoke of their close bond. When Boeheim got the chance to put JC in his rear view as a competitor, he flushed the friendship. He was even open about it. Does anyone remember the time he was interviewed and when asked about us, instead of answering the question he said, “We’re in a better conference than them, that’s what I think”?

That whole process was a disgrace.

Reaction Score

Remember we beat Louisville in football on their field prior to the decision to take them not us IIRC. We were not worthy though.

Reaction Score
If it weren’t for your line of work, I’d say you’re crazy. but I trust you are correct to some degree. However, I think a lot of the Calhoun dislike was actually just Cuse and BC planted bs playing off the violations to help vilify him and keep him out of the ACC. Tobacco Road was openly in favor of us so I really think it was northern, unproven football and BC/Cuse lobbying that killed us.

JC and Boeheim were very good friends and golf buddies. JC openly praised Boeheim in the press and spoke of their close bond. When Boeheim got the chance to put JC in his rear view as a competitor, he flushed the friendship. He was even open about it. Does anyone remember the time he was interviewed and when asked about us, instead of answering the question he said, “We’re in a better conference than them, that’s what I think”?

I believe this is closer to the truth. Gene DeFillipo was strongly against UConn joining the ACC and I believe the noise around Calhoun was just to help justify the position. Gene is a vindictive man and it ultimately cost him his job at BC.

That wasn’t the only reason why Louisville got the invite over UConn as the football schools believed Louisville was a stronger football program, they were pouring money into athletic facilities, and the administration was laser focused on not getting the ACC invite after missing on the Big 12.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I think a lot of UConn fans see Calhoun through husky colored glasses. I once had someone ask me if I liked Bobby Knight..I said "not really"....they said..."why? He's just like Calhoun".

Reaction Score
I think a lot of UConn fans see Calhoun through husky colored glasses. I once had someone ask me if I liked Bobby Knight..I said "not really"....they said..."why? He's just like Calhoun".
Ya, except Calhoun didn't throw chairs, assault cops, and hit and choke players.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain why Calhoun was disliked? Guy was tough as nails, won at the highest level and got a lot out of his players both on and off the court.

Maybe I’m naive but what are the issues people had with him? The APR issues? Every D1 school athletic department deals with those issues, let stop with UConn being the only one.

Reaction Score
That’s definitely a perception some have, mostly because of ESPN replaying two sound bites from press conferences thousands of times. They were “not a dime back” and the “I up” Gomes quotes. Both of which were prompted by our annoying press that prefers to antagonize our coaches rather than build them up, unlike in normal markets where the media helps the local teams prosper.

Reaction Score
Take with a grain of salt as it's purely based on my conversations with fans of other teams while I lived in the DC area...

The speed of the UConn program's rise under Calhoun lead to a lot of jealousy and suspicion that there must be something dirty going on to facilitate it among fans of the old blue-bloods. The Nate Miles/APR situation finally gave them validation that it was happening and of course it was fresh with the investigation going on through the final rounds of ACC expansion. Especially when the investigation timeframe corresponded with UConn's best/most sustained run of tournament success (the first three national titles along with another semifinal appearance and the year they should've gone if not for George Mason).

Ultimately the bigger issue was UConn was perceived as a basketball school first. They were still new to football and didn't follow up successfully on the Fiesta Bowl trip. If Pasqualoni had followed up with bowl trips (and he had the talent to where that should've been an easy proposition) UConn might just have had enough to get everyone on board ahead of Louisville... even with BC's attempt to block.

In 2011 UConn lost three games they shouldn't have (@Vandy, vs. Iowa St, vs. WMU) and dropped a 7 point game at home with 'Cuse
In 2012 They dropped a 3 point game to NC State, lost @WMU, as well as close ones @Temple (OT) and @USF (and of course were non-competitive in a loss to Towson to open the year). As everyone remembers.. the announcement came just as UConn beat Louisville.

Flip two of those in each season (eminently doable) and UConn is coming off six-straight bowl games with two conference titles and a BCS appearance in that stretch.... Louisville would've been only coming off three-straight bowl games, but would've had the edge of back-to-back conference championships.

Arguably you would've only need to flip 2011 since the decision was made in the middle of 2012 to make UConn's resume look better... but dropping a game where the Huskies weren't particularly competitive to Towson, certainly was the wrong result, at the wrong time...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
PP not getting to a bowl game when he had the talent is what sent us into the tailspin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom