The school that realignment left behind: Inside UConn football's collapse - Adelson @ ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The school that realignment left behind: Inside UConn football's collapse - Adelson @ ESPN

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Well..it was his failures in those areas that led to losing games. He doesn't have to get into specifics...we all know what goes into winning.

I have said this before...the one thing I always thought was a core Edsall strength was integrity. Wow was I wrong.

Diaco is proving to be a much more genuine person than Edsall. And 5 years ago I would have thought you were nuts if you said that.

Nothing but kudos to Diaco for being forthright. Maybe in time Edsall will be more honest about what happened.
Not going to apologize for Edsall here BUT, he is still under contract with the university and probably can't say anything until his contract is done. Hopefully one day he will open up about it, but I don't think he will.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Not going to apologize for Edsall here BUT, he is still under contract with the university and probably can't say anything until his contract is done. Hopefully one day he will open up about it, but I don't think he will.
No way he does..

Reaction Score
Well..it was his failures in those areas that led to losing games. He doesn't have to get into specifics...we all know what goes into winning.

I have said this before...the one thing I always thought was a core Edsall strength was integrity. Wow was I wrong.

Diaco is proving to be a much more genuine person than Edsall. And 5 years ago I would have thought you were nuts if you said that.

Nothing but kudos to Diaco for being forthright. Maybe in time Edsall will be more honest about what happened.
RE preached integrity and put out a good message but like many coaches is too much of a narcissist.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Maybe he will....but I doubt it. And if he does, I doubt he will take accountability. He didn't take accountability for how he left the first time until he had to when he came back. If he didn't come back he never would have acknowledged his selfish exit.

If Edsall cared about UConn...or it's fans...he could have at least tweeted congrats to Spanos on the Yale win.

He has ghosted the team...which says a lot about who he is as a person.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Maybe he will....but I doubt it. And if he does, I doubt he will take accountability. He didn't take accountability for how he left the first time until he had to when he came back. If he didn't come back he never would have acknowledged his selfish exit.

If Edsall cared about UConn...or it's fans...he could have at least tweeted congrats to Spanos on the Yale win.

He has ghosted the team...which says a lot about who he is as a person.
His buddy Orlovsky has really turned me off.

Reaction Score
Except for the part about Calhoun and the NCAA violations. UConn's issues barely qualify as jaywalking compared to what Louisville has faced, not to mention UNC, KU, Baylor, and others.
The infractions Calhoun had under his watch was nothing comparing to the gangster hood that was Louisville.

The main reason ACC took UL over the Uconn the second time was this: football schools in the ACC (mainly FSU and Clemson) didn't want to come more north to play another football game, and ACC felt UConn will always be available if they ever needed another school for expansion since we are geographically isolated. The Carolina schools like UNC, Duke, Wake, and NCST along with UVA wanted us. The old BE schools BCU, Fruit U, and Pitt voted against us along with Miami, FSU, and Clemson.

The only other P5 conference that could take us is the B1G, and we would go there even if we are in the ACC.

Being an ESPiN article, of course it didn't mention the fact that ESPN orchestrated the raid on the BE along with the ACC so they can save on the overall cost of the media deal vs paying 2 separate conferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cuse had some issues too. Was UCONN the only one to have actual penalties?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Louisville choice was really more about FSU pushing back against Tobacco Road. It sucks, but it is what it is.

When ever I get frustrated on being on the outside and looking in at P5 football, I think to myself would I rather have the financial security of being in a P5 conference than 4 men’s basketball national championships. The answer is a resounding no.

BCU, Pitt and, increasingly, Syracuse have all been marginalized as programs in the ACC. I’m not saying that would’ve happened to us, but it did happen to them.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Are you nuts? Diaco lied all the time while he was here and despite Randy's shortcoming he remains the best of the D1 coaches we've had.

It's a nice statement from Diaco, but let's keep things in perspective.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Are you nuts? Diaco lied all the time while he was here and despite Randy's shortcoming he remains the best of the D1 coaches we've had.

It's a nice statement from Diaco, but let's keep things in perspective.
I probably am misremembering....but I never thought of Diaco as a liar. Just a used car salesman. Always a spin.

Edsall preached integrity...right to the bitter end..but didn't live it.

Reaction Score
The Louisville choice was really more about FSU pushing back against Tobacco Road. It sucks, but it is what it is.

When ever I get frustrated on being on the outside and looking in at P5 football, I think to myself would I rather have the financial security of being in a P5 conference than 4 men’s basketball national championships. The answer is a resounding no.

BCU, Pitt and, increasingly, Syracuse have all been marginalized as programs in the ACC. I’m not saying that would’ve happened to us, but it did happen to them.
BCU and Pitt were always marginal athletic departments (a few up years, but nothing really notable). I think the only surprising one is Cuse.

Reaction Score
The timing is a little odd though huh? You can football has been a suck fest all year long, but on the day after we have positive news about a great new coach hire ESPN writes an article talking about how the University of Connecticut is footballs biggest loser.

Conspicuously absent of course is ESPN’s role in the demise of the Big East and Connecticut being on the outside and looking in. Without ESPN funding the raid on the Big East, it never happens in the whole conference realignment debacle never guts college sports. ESPN is a Connecticut company that receives tax breaks from the state of Connecticut. Since they were the financier of the ACC‘s raids against the Big East they could’ve stepped up on our behalf at any time. They did not and that cost Connecticut taxpayers tens of millions of dollars. That should never be forgotten, especially the next time they come hand-in-hand asking for more Connecticut taxpayers money.
I couldn't agree with you more. The sad thing is that all they have to do is threaten to pick up and move and they will be able to milk the state again.

CL82

Reaction Score
BCU and Pitt were always marginal athletic departments (a few up years, but nothing really notable). I think the only surprising one is Cuse.
And I agree regarding BCU, especially. Pitt was having a good run though, not national championship good, but they were a decent team. Now, not so much.

CL82

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree with you more. The sad thing is that all they have to do is threaten to pick up and move and they will be able to milk the state again.
I hope not. If it is publicly known that they are asking for more relief, every Connecticut fan should be on the phone to their state legislator telling them that a vote for taxpayer money going to ESPN will mean a vote for whoever runs against them. I’m serious. They’ve cost Connecticut taxpayers, minimally, $35 million a year since 2013. Do the math. It’s $280 million that would have otherwise come into the athletic department. Since the state subsidizes the school, that’s money out of Connecticut taxpayers pockets. ESPN should never see another dollar of taxpayer money until Connecticut is in the P5. ESPN could make that happen with a phone call.

Reaction Score
Since she couldn't get into ESPN's culpability in this mess, outside of Diaco admitting he didn't win enough games, the only thing that got my attention was Toscano. My view of him has diminished greatly based off his comments. Wonder if they were altered to fit the narrative.

BOT Toscano comment seems like it was before they hooked Mora (“"If this doesn't work, we're going to have some tough decisions to make," Toscano said. "I'm confident we'll get the right person and we'll find success…”)…

… but it’s fairly consistent w/ what he said back in early September: “If we can’t manage our way out of this, and the narrative is that when we go play FBS teams we get our [butt] kicked, well, that’s not good for anybody and it’s not sustainable,” UConn Board of Trustees chair Dan Toscano said last week. “I just don’t believe that’s going to be the narrative. We’re going to give it some time and see it play out. … It’s not short-term. It’s definitely not long-term. It’s somewhere in the middle. I don’t know if that’s 3-5 years or whatever. We’re going to be impatiently patient.”

Reaction Score
And I agree regarding BCU, especially. Pitt was having a good run though, not national championship good, but they were a decent team. Now, not so much.
Except this football season where Pitt leads its division...

CL82

Reaction Score
Season 4 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

CL82

Reaction Score
BOT Toscano comment seems like it was before they hooked Mora (“"If this doesn't work, we're going to have some tough decisions to make," Toscano said. "I'm confident we'll get the right person and we'll find success…”)…

… but it’s fairly consistent w/ what he said back in early September: “If we can’t manage our way out of this, and the narrative is that when we go play FBS teams we get our [butt] kicked, well, that’s not good for anybody and it’s not sustainable,” UConn Board of Trustees chair Dan Toscano said last week. “I just don’t believe that’s going to be the narrative. We’re going to give it some time and see it play out. … It’s not short-term. It’s definitely not long-term. It’s somewhere in the middle. I don’t know if that’s 3-5 years or whatever. We’re going to be impatiently patient.”
Is it me, or is this a really dumb comment by Toscano? In the middle of a positive PR that changes the narrative that you can football is on the clock, why release the statement? I suspect that the ESPN reporter may have been sitting on that quote for a while. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
Just so we are talking about the same Pitt, you mean the one that lost to Western Michigan, right? And Miami? They are leading their division in a remarkably weak ACC. This is like one of those seasons when Illinois wins the Big 10. They are pretty good but everyone else is having an off year.

Reaction Score
Is it me, or is this a really dumb comment by Toscano? In the middle of a positive PR that changes the narrative that you can football is on the clock, why release the statement? I suspect that the ESPN reporter may have been sitting on that quote for a while. Just a hunch.
Isn't that what I said in first sentence? It doesn't match the sequencing...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom