The school that realignment left behind: Inside UConn football's collapse - Adelson @ ESPN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The school that realignment left behind: Inside UConn football's collapse - Adelson @ ESPN

Reaction Score
We start winning again in FB and Hoops and everything changes. Well everything but the narrow minds in our own fanbase that feel threatened by football success.

Reaction Score
I believe it was a whole mix that added up to plenty.

What about Blumenthal suing BC/Miami? ACC ??? (maybe I missed teams)

Didn't that put a black X on UCONN, also??

Reaction Score
Sorry. If they didn’t like Calhoun because he was “dirty” and invited Hooker Community College instead than these people are too stupid to have any power at all in college athletics.

And don’t think UConn actually winning stuff (3 national titles was literally 1 away from Dook at the time) wasn’t the real reason they hated him. A school like UConn is not supposed to win 3 titles in a big boy sport. “It must have been due to cheating!” Was a common refrain.

Reaction Score
I would say about half dozen different people.

It was. “The football is just OK. We got the media market, and the basketball coach is a issue.”

They just didn’t like them.

From people inside AD department at UConn and also from ACC media/people. It was an issue. Deciding factor? No. But no one in the conference was dying to see Calhoun in the conference. Why didn’t Boeheim and Syracuse advocate for UConn?

Why has no one who has partnered with UConn ever spoke up on the schools behalf?

Remember, Nate Miles was a live issue when those discussions started. UConn was under fire for APR issues (ultimately banned), and you know what? They didn’t really like him. Personally (probably because he kicked their ass).

Not sure the acc wanted to deal with what UConn brings as far as personality, media, fan base. People making decisions just generally did not like the university as partners. Herbst and Manuel had to navigate that. Just not enough time.

Herbst and Manuel tried to change that narrative, but I always got the feeling that UConn was difficult to deal with behind the scenes for so long it hurt their relationships.

Louisville, on the other hand, had Pitino, Bridgewater, and Tom Jurich called in favors and had Mitch McConnell help him out.

Louisville became a nice option without the baggage. Lol. The entire regime was corrupt, but oh well.

Why do you guys think Kevin Ollie’s contract was so attuned to violations and APR?
Interesting narrative; however, SU and Pitt had no vote on the UConn vs. Louisville consideration for ACC membership. Boeheim would have advocated for Calhoun. They are good friends and play golf together.

SU and Pitt were selected for membership in 2011 with an effective date of July 1, 2013, In that interim, they had no vote in ACC matters. Louisville was selected for membership on November 28, 2012 without SU/Pitt votes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are a couple of things that haven't been addressed and there needs to be clarification that the ACC's addition of Louisville was a distinct and later transaction than their addition of Cuse & Pitt.

I was told nearly 2 1/2 years prior (spring 2009 vs September 2011) that the ACC had their eyes on adding us and Syracuse somewhere down the road (I can get into the details later) and that Hathaway was the source this person heard it from. There were a couple unfortunate (for us) circumstances (including having JH in charge of the athletic department) with the timing and manner in which the ACC expanded. BC was on the three school committee to determine whether to add schools earlier than initially planned and the determination was to complete the process prior to going public with the plan. We were blindsided by the set of events in part because the one person who could have ensured that we would always be part of any conversation spent most of his time on the job with his thumb up his backside.

At the time the B1G announced Rutgers and Maryland, the B12 offered Clemson and FSU (at the time by far the most significant football properties in the ACC). While tobacco road (who had always run the conference in the past) had basically assured Susan Herbst that we would replace Maryland, Clemson and FSU (along with a few other schools) demanded Louisville and threatened to listen to what the B12 had to offer.

Reaction Score
The article does not say Calhoun was disliked, it said the ACC was concerned about his trouble with the NCAA

Reaction Score
I believe it was a whole mix that added up to plenty.

What about Blumenthal suing BC/Miami? ACC ??? (maybe I missed teams)

Didn't that put a black X on UCONN, also??
Bingo, that arrogance did not sit well with the powers of the ACC

Reaction Score
Interesting narrative; however, SU and Pitt had no vote on the UConn vs. Louisville consideration for ACC membership. Boeheim would have advocated for Calhoun. They are good friends and play golf together.

SU and Pitt were selected for membership in 2011 with an effective date of July 1, 2013, In that interim, they had no vote in ACC matters. Louisville was selected for membership on November 28, 2012 without SU/Pitt votes.
I didn’t say they voted. It was were they in favor of UConn over Louisville. Both clearly preferred Louisville over UConn and communicated to the acc that much. They had input in the decision to take Louisville over UConn

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bingo, that arrogance did not sit well with the powers of the ACC
Of course they were so mad about it they took Pittsburgh instead who also was a plaintiff in the lawsuit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom