The Sanogo issue | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Sanogo issue

Reaction Score
The supposed easy change out of Whaley is laughable here. He is easily our best defender, the other coach knew it last night and assured he wouldn’t get many chances to hedge. Take him out for Polley is hilarious. We lose so much on defense in that case it’s beyond belief, watch the game. Tyler gets beat off the dribble 90% of the time and kills the defense. And while I understand he brings potential offense he’s not able to do that in his own, doesn’t create himself does he? And tell me how many plays coach is drawing up to get him looks?

I agree it’s painful with he and Andre early on with neither wanting to shoot it. But I’m not sure we have the answer no matter. The only shot at the answer last night hit a wall because his teammate didn’t call out a pick.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Rebound for one. He had 16 rebounds tonight in 37 minutes to TWO from Whaley in 31 minutes.
and he had 6 blocks compared to Whaley's 0

Whaley's stat line - 3 points (one three pointer), 2 rebounds, 1 TO

Sanogo's stat line - 13 points, 16 rebounds, 6 blocks, 1 steal, 1 turnover.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Biggest thing Sanogo needs to work on this off-season is his passing. We also need to design more plays where someone cuts to the hoop when he gets doubled. Make them pay for double teaming to the point where they stop doing it.
Needs to learn to pass out of the double and triple team. Obviously someone is open. Real problem going forward.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is a troll post or serious post.

Sanogo is by far our best player. Cole is our most important player. Sanogo is starting. He’s playing the whole game unless he’s in foul trouble or exhausted.

We’ve discussed this the entire season. Our starting lineup is offensively limited as we can’t space the floor. If you want to make a change, you take out Whaley or Jackson and start Hawkins or Polley. It should be Whaley as Jackson is our only other ball handler. Whaley can’t play with Sanogo and Sanogo isn’t going anywhere.

Yes. Whaley can’t play with Sanogo. Jackson and Whaley don’t have an offensive game. Jackson offers more for us like ball handling. If anything you start Polley or Hawkins for Whaley and move Jackson or Martin to the four
Sanogo is 100% are best player but yeah Cole is more important. Whaley can easily replace Sanogo and like I’ve said in this thread I feel like we look better and more like a TEAM when that happens. Hurley has to start treating Sanogo like other players when he isn’t playing well. Maybe it’ll help him understand he needs to play with the team if he sits for some time to watch how it looks when he’s out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
All in all I’m kind of disappointed this is Whaley’s last year and Sanogo doesn’t seem to be picking up on the little things Whaley does so well. There’s so much he could learn from him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
All in all I’m kind of disappointed this is Whaley’s last year and Sanogo doesn’t seem to be picking up on the little things Whaley does so well. There’s so much he could learn from him.
you had me but now I know you’re trolling.

Reaction Score
I cringe every time Sanogo handles the ball outside the paint and feel that while hes a good talent for his size he lacks a lot of fundamentals on basics like setting picks , the roll afterwards and chasing the ball on the perimeter

Reaction Score
Creighton/Mac kept going to Kalkbrenner until/if UConn stopped the action. Never happened.They didn't even need the three ball last night because of the success they were having.. Adama/staff need to watch some film.. Gonna see it again.

Looked to me like AS was caught watching the ball too much and was a step slow on recovering to stop his guy.

Give the guys credit for coming back and keeping the game close.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Adama had a not so great game, struggling on offense and was getting beaten time and time again on defense. It happens. Other guys, particularly the upper classmen need to step up more when their teammate is struggling. Cole played his heart out but wasn’t getting a lot of help.

I love Porkchop (sticking with that nickname) and AJax but they both should spend every waking, free moment practicing threes. While they’ll occasionally hit during games, they’re both hesitant behind the three point line and defenses aren’t concerned with them shooting thus they sag and clog the lane where Adama roams.

Overall, great comeback just couldn’t get over the hump to take a lead. I’m encouraged and looking forward to tourney time though.

F Duke

Reaction Score
Creighton/Mac kept going to Kalkbrenner until/if UConn stopped the action. Never happened.They didn't even need the three ball last night because of the success they were having.. Adama/staff need to watch some film.. Gonna see it again.

Looked to me like AS was caught watching the ball too much and was a step slow on recovering to stop his guy.

Give the guys credit for coming back and keeping the game close.

Coach has to protect Sanogo in that situation by going zone or allowing him to stay parked in the paint.

"Stepping up" and "playing harder" are not the answers--our team plays their hearts out every night.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was abused on defense in the second half.

Hurley NEVER made an adjustment. That was the bigger issue. Coaches must put their players in the best situation to succeed. That didn't happen last night and the result was a loss.

Did anyone in the press that follows UConn ask him why he never made an adjustment?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sanogo is only a sophomore, and Kalkenbrenner did a great job on him. Next year Sanogo will be fine against 7 footers, but he is not there yet. I could have sworn Kalkenbrenner tipped at least two Sanogo shots, but there is nothing in the box score.

One of the issues I have always had with Sanogo is his shot fundamentals inside because he almost never uses the bank. This creates two problems for a 6'9 center: 1) the shot is simply a harder shot without using the backboard. This is basic angles and trajectory. 2) when you are going straight in rather than using the bank, you have to slow the shot down a little right at the release. This is a split second adjustment, but it makes you as a shooter more prone to getting blocked. Since shooters know this, they often try to make adjustments to their shots as they release the ball to avoid shotblockers. This makes their shots less accurate, effectively giving the shot-blocker exactly what he wants without having to actually block the shot.

Sanogo needs to use the backboard more often.

Reaction Score
The supposed easy change out of Whaley is laughable here. He is easily our best defender, the other coach knew it last night and assured he wouldn’t get many chances to hedge. Take him out for Polley is hilarious. We lose so much on defense in that case it’s beyond belief, watch the game. Tyler gets beat off the dribble 90% of the time and kills the defense. And while I understand he brings potential offense he’s not able to do that in his own, doesn’t create himself does he? And tell me how many plays coach is drawing up to get him looks?

I agree it’s painful with he and Andre early on with neither wanting to shoot it. But I’m not sure we have the answer no matter. The only shot at the answer last night hit a wall because his teammate didn’t call out a pick.
It’s not about benching him for Polley. It’s about getting Polley’s shooting on the floor to unclog the lane. People keep forgetting also our best 3 rebounders are Sanogo, Jackson, and Martin. Sanogo gets double and triple teamed constantly. It comes from teams dropping completely from Whaley and Jackson. If you got Cole, Polley, and Martin outside the Arc you can’t help off none of them. This gives Sanogo WAY more room to operate. If Jackson man drops, he can simply cut to the basket. You can’t have two guys on the court like that. Whaley should most definitely play alot. They just shouldn’t play them as much together. I love my squad, but if we keep running that offensively challenged lineup we going home early.

Reaction Score
Coach has to protect Sanogo in that situation by going zone or allowing him to stay parked in the paint.

"Stepping up" and "playing harder" are not the answers--our team plays their hearts out every night.
Agree with you re: their consistent effort. BTW.. What happened to TM after his wrist getting jammed? He seemed to be able to get his shot at will on ISOs in first half but was non-existent/quiet in second half.. Hope his health is ok.. Foul trouble is prob the answer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's high comedy to read the sheer volume of BY posts from the usual suspects who want to do a complete "CTRL+ALT+DEL" of our entire team's offensive and defensive lineup/strategy after one generally bad team shooting night coupled with one guy struggling to defend.

In the ~7 games prior to last night, we were shooting ~42% from 3pt range and shooting well overall. No surprise, we were formidable and nearly unbeatable.

Last night, we matched up against a team with a great coach, at their arena, on senior night/$1 beer night.

Is it that big of a surprise that it could have ended up as an "L"?

In the first part of the 1st half, we played great D while getting good looks, shooting poorly and digging ourselves a 16-pt hole.

Two of our key 3pt shooters (Hawkins & Polley) got banged up....one badly enough to not return to the game.

Like the Final Four potential team that we are, we fought back in a hostile environment to tie the game midway through the 2nd half. Just couldn't get over the hump. Had chances to tie/take lead with good looks that just didn't fall (Cole 3 late).

It's tough to win on the road in the Big East (any strong conference, for that matter).

Let's regroup, and get ready to beat a surging DePaul team in 3 days!!!!!

Reaction Score
Defensive issues aside, there was seemingly a lid on the rim for stretches for Sanogo. Really frustrating game, have to imagine the dislocated finger had an impact. He will be back.
It might help if Sanogo were to dunk instead of the under shot 4-5 footers he settles for. This might also get more fouls on the other big and result in more scores for us, 3 point plays. Seems like most of his misses are short, either he is tired or doesn't power his way to the hoop.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

But you left out the 22 points he let the opposing center score unmolested. Two steps behind him at the rim every time..

Reaction Score
My god - if Sanogo was making those bunnies that he missed repeatedly tonight - would you be saying this?

Sanogo, Cole and Martin - tell me who else has been more important to the success of this team this season?

The overreactions after a loss are beyond belief on the boneyard
Yeah besides the hedging on defense that Sanogo should never do as he isn't athletic to get back like Whaley does an that hurt us he should start. Just can't play Whaley and Sanogo the whole time and why are we running a play with the 2nd option Jackson taking a 3 at the end of the game? LOL!

Reaction Score
It isn't all on Sanogo. When he goes out to hedge the weak side defender has to slide down into the paint, and that doesn't happen. Perhaps that gives someone an open look outside or from deep, but Creighton shoots 30% for the season out there. I'll take my chances on that shot as opposed to a dunk fest!

Reaction Score
How about not running him into the ground chasing on D at half court all game. He might have a little in the tank when it matters. Or, not force feeding him with a 7 footer and defenders collapsing on him. Hurley is a one trick pony and opponents know his schtick all too well.
Perhaps opposing coaches only have to look at one average game film to establish their game plan. We seem very predictable. These hedges can exhaust a player, do we need to do them all the time?? Could an occasional zone help, throw off a different defensive look???? We just traded baskets for the last 7 minutes of the game then went dry when it counted, missed some second foul shots, setting up a questionable 3 pt shooter. Even, at the end of the first half with 3 seconds on the clock, we set up Jackson for the half court shot??? We have the potential but seem confused near game ends. Run the clock down.

Reaction Score

The problem with Sanogo is the efficiency.

13 points on 6-16 shooting, for a big, is awful. Especially considering -- an under-discussed aspect of the force-feeding strategy -- all of those misses end up with nobody in offensive rebounding position (Sanogo himself isn't, and we purposefully clear out the lane to give him room to operate), an easy close of the possession which is deflating for us and affirming for the defense.

When he's not getting it done, we simply have to go small and try something else. It's just a momentum anchor otherwise.

Likewise, on defense, 6 blocks is great, but how many wide open layups and dunks did he give up? 6 blocks vs. 8-9 90%+ shot attempts is pretty bad efficiency on the defensive end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom