The Sanogo issue | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Sanogo issue

Reaction Score
I think in a perfect world, Whaley should back him up but both get a lot of minutes. Whaley is definitely much better near the basket but we don’t have the depth to sit either for too long.
We should just swap Whaley and Polley. It would do wonders for us. We shouldn’t play Whaley and Sanogo together so much. All it does is clog the lane up for Sanogo. Or it puts Whaley constantly in spots he shouldn’t be on offense.

Reaction Score
My god - if Sanogo was making those bunnies that he missed repeatedly tonight - would you be saying this?

Sanogo, Cole and Martin - tell me who else has been more important to the success of this team this season?

The overreactions after a loss are beyond belief on the boneyard
As well they should be. We should not be losing to Creighton for a 5th straight time. A team that didn't even have their PG.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He missed a lot of easy shots, but this team does that on the regular

They'd be easier shots if he went right AT or INTO the hoop each time he doesn't have a clear, composed look. The fade aways and taps are done CLOSE to the basket, but they are NOT easy shots. That's why they don't go in.

I'd rather he'd be drawing fouls.
To me, it was his defense that really cost the team tonight. He was consistently beaten to the basket, and it was really a killer. Frustrating to watch.
I agree with you, and I like your avatar most of all.

Reaction Score
I just don’t think you can have Jackson, whaley, and sanogo in late in games where you need to score. Sanogo struggles with the traffic and they were daring whaley and Jackson to make shots. I was begging for polley to come in for one of them.
It’s the backside swipes that get sanogo too.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what Hurley can do here. He’s definitely out most talented player and when he’s on he’s one of the best players in the big East.

These past couple of games show just how much he can hurt the team though. This team plays SO well when he’s out the game. Our offense gets everyone involved, Whaley gets the do his amazing hedges and can be the same monster on the board. Guys have way more spacing and move the ball better.

With him there’s not as much spacing, we force feed him and he struggles to move the ball and find open guys. He’s not as good of a hedger as Whaley that we saw today. To the point he can single handedly sink us.

It’s almost to a point where I have half a mind to say he should come off the bench as a spark plug if he can’t make his teammates better and only look for his own shot. We just look so much better with Whaley at the 5.

Everyone else on the team does seem to be peaking at the right time. It’s up to Hurley to figure out these lineups in March. We may have to learn to rely less on Sanogo which this team has shown it’s completely capab
“These past couple of games show just how much he can hurt the team though. This team plays SO well when he’s out the game.”

Please please please tell me you actually don’t believe this. You mean the Sanogo
I don’t know what Hurley can do here. He’s definitely out most talented player and when he’s on he’s one of the best players in the big East.

These past couple of games show just how much he can hurt the team though. This team plays SO well when he’s out the game. Our offense gets everyone involved, Whaley gets the do his amazing hedges and can be the same monster on the board. Guys have way more spacing and move the ball better.

With him there’s not as much spacing, we force feed him and he struggles to move the ball and find open guys. He’s not as good of a hedger as Whaley that we saw today. To the point he can single handedly sink us.

It’s almost to a point where I have half a mind to say he should come off the bench as a spark plug if he can’t make his teammates better and only look for his own shot. We just look so much better with Whaley at the 5.

Everyone else on the team does seem to be peaking at the right time. It’s up to Hurley to figure out these lineups in March. We may have to learn to rely less on Sanogo which this team has shown it’s completely capable of doing.

“These past couple of games show just how much he can hurt the team though. This team plays SO well when he’s out the game.”

Please tell me you have had a lot of alcohol tonight and it is affecting your thought process. You really believe Sanogo in the game hurts the team?

The guy that went for double doubles against Nova and Seton Hall during the last 5 games?

Reaction Score
Exactly, he lost his man too many times trying to help out and not being quick enough to get back to his spot. If he simply stayed with Kalkbrenner he wouldn’t have had 22 points and the outcome could have been different. He needs to trust his teammates’ defense more, unless Hurley is in his ear to help out on every play.
This is Hurleys defense. It’s what they practice with it’s what Hurleys teams always have done. He is told to do this and we have to rotate so they don’t pick and roll. The problem was they cleared out so we couldn’t get rotate in time. Can’t blame Sanogo for the hedges. He got posted up and scored on which sucked.

Reaction Score
Adama has great footwork at times, but he doesn’t establish position nearly well enough. Okay, he’s somewhere between 6’7-6’9. He is built like a bull, he should be clearing a beanpole like Kalkbrenner out pretty consistently. And with this he should draw a lot more fouls. Idk…It’s like the bigs have yips around the rim. The staff really needs to get out the football dummies and force these guys to make tough layups throughout practice.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Please please please tell me you actually don’t believe this. You mean the Sanogo

Please tell me you have had a lot of alcohol tonight and it is affecting your thought process. You really believe Sanogo in the game hurts the team?

The guy that went for double doubles against Nova and Seton Hall during the last 5 games?
Legitimate question, when his scoring is off what does he do better than Whaley?

Reaction Score

Everyone else on the team does seem to be peaking at the right time. It’s up to Hurley to figure out these lineups in March. We may have to learn to rely less on Sanogo which this team has shown it’s completely capable of doing.
Issue isn’t sango. Issue is Whaley and Jackson. Both can’t play if the goal is to concentrate on the lost And let them do whatever on perimeter.

We don’t look better with Whaley at the 5. We look better with polley at the 4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about not running him into the ground chasing on D at half court all game. He might have a little in the tank when it matters. Or, not force feeding him with a 7 footer and defenders collapsing on him. Hurley is a one trick pony and opponents know his schtick all too well.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest issue is still AJax. I will totally eat crow if he proves me wrong down the stretch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his role lessens next season. He’s the definition of a non-factor on offense. Whaley is pretty bad on that end too, but even he is a few notches above AJ. And Whaley is a tremendous defender most of the time.

The staff really needs to enlist a shooting coach to spend the summer with AJ. He can’t play big minutes while being someone who is left unguarded half the time. He also has no left hand to speak of, which really limits his play making ability.

Reaction Score
6’7 vs a legit 7 footer is tough.
How does he dominate walker kessler on both ends of the floor but then get dominated by Ryan kalkbrenner on both ends of the floor

Reaction Score
I think the biggest issue is still AJax. I will totally eat crow if he proves me wrong down the stretch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his role lessens next season. He’s the definition of a non-factor on offense. Whaley is pretty bad on that end too, but even he is a few notches above AJ. And Whaley is a tremendous defender most of the time.

The staff really needs to enlist a shooting coach to spend the summer with AJ. He can’t play big minutes while being someone who is left unguarded half the time. He also has no left hand to speak of, which really limits his play making ability.
I agree on the shooting coach. The kid can jump out of the gym but shoots from his stomach. I wonder if Ray is still upset with the school, he’d be a great guy to spend some time with. Either they get him a jumpshot or Hurley has to be more innovative and get him more alley oops and post ups.

Reaction Score
I agree on the shooting coach. The kid can jump out of the gym but shoots from his stomach. I wonder if Ray is still upset with the school, he’d be a great guy to spend some time with. Either they get him a jumpshot or Hurley has to be more innovative and get him more alley oops and post ups.
The fact that we have a guard that starts and plays 30 mins but can only score on put backs and lobs is rough.

Reaction Score
HEy Guys, Sanogo is still learning the game of basketball. He's making decent progress. But when he feels the ball in his hands, his ego takes over & he must shoot (he needs more big-man moves though). And not passing out to shooters destroys teamwork, encourages more help on him, screws up the spacing & leads to teammates being out of position. And THAT leads to turnovers & fast-breaks by teams like Creighton, 'Nova, Marquette & PC. Gotta get Sanogo to understand that this is a team game - & he ain't Kareem, Wilt or Shaq! He doesn['t really see the floor or ball on defense either. Sanogo's a good diamond in the rough who needs to spend time in the film room learning to see the floor & flow of the game, IMO -
Father Demo -

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Issue isn’t sango. Issue is Whaley and Jackson. Both can’t play if the goal is to concentrate on the lost And let them do whatever on perimeter.

We don’t look better with Whaley at the 5. We look better with polley at the 4.
We look better with the floor open and the back moving with guys passing and looking for EACH OTHER. That happens with Whaley at the 5. The great hedging also happens with Whaley at the 5 where you can’t hide from him by using your 5 (and probably best screener) to run picks.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
He missed a lot of easy shots, but this team does that on the regular. To me, it was his defense that really cost the team tonight. He was consistently beaten to the basket, and it was really a killer. Frustrating to watch.
That is because he spends to much time at the 3 point line only to have to run full speed back to the lanes. He was beaten to the basket to a kid that is a freshman? The problem I have is why that problem wasn't fixed. Kid was doing it the whole second half. This kid scored 2 points the first half. Something went right. Their coach figured it out and the rest was history.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Not sure if this is a troll post or serious post.

Sanogo is by far our best player. Cole is our most important player. Sanogo is starting. He’s playing the whole game unless he’s in foul trouble or exhausted.

We’ve discussed this the entire season. Our starting lineup is offensively limited as we can’t space the floor. If you want to make a change, you take out Whaley or Jackson and start Hawkins or Polley. It should be Whaley as Jackson is our only other ball handler. Whaley can’t play with Sanogo and Sanogo isn’t going anywhere.

playing jackson and whaley in lineups with sanogo is like tying an arm behind our back.

Yes. Whaley can’t play with Sanogo. Jackson and Whaley don’t have an offensive game. Jackson offers more for us like ball handling. If anything you start Polley or Hawkins for Whaley and move Jackson or Martin to the four

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There are other players who are an issue, not Sanogo. Not even close

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member