The Sanogo issue | The Boneyard

The Sanogo issue

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t know what Hurley can do here. He’s definitely out most talented player and when he’s on he’s one of the best players in the big East.

These past couple of games show just how much he can hurt the team though. This team plays SO well when he’s out the game. Our offense gets everyone involved, Whaley gets the do his amazing hedges and can be the same monster on the board. Guys have way more spacing and move the ball better.

With him there’s not as much spacing, we force feed him and he struggles to move the ball and find open guys. He’s not as good of a hedger as Whaley that we saw today. To the point he can single handedly sink us.

It’s almost to a point where I have half a mind to say he should come off the bench as a spark plug if he can’t make his teammates better and only look for his own shot. We just look so much better with Whaley at the 5.

Everyone else on the team does seem to be peaking at the right time. It’s up to Hurley to figure out these lineups in March. We may have to learn to rely less on Sanogo which this team has shown it’s completely capable of doing.

Reaction Score
I just don’t think you can have Jackson, whaley, and sanogo in late in games where you need to score. Sanogo struggles with the traffic and they were daring whaley and Jackson to make shots. I was begging for polley to come in for one of them.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what Hurley can do here. He’s definitely out most talented player and when he’s on he’s one of the best players in the big East.

These past couple of games show just how much he can hurt the team though. This team plays SO well when he’s out the game. Our offense gets everyone involved, Whaley gets the do his amazing hedges and can be the same monster on the board. Guys have way more spacing and move the ball better.

With him there’s not as much spacing, we force feed him and he struggles to move the ball and find open guys. He’s not as good of a hedger as Whaley that we saw today. To the point he can single handedly sink us.

It’s almost to a point where I have half a mind to say he should come off the bench as a spark plug if he can’t make his teammates better and only look for his own shot. We just look so much better with Whaley at the 5.

Everyone else on the team does seem to be peaking at the right time. It’s up to Hurley to figure out these lineups in March. We may have to learn to rely less on Sanogo which this team has shown it’s completely capable of doing.
I think in a perfect world, Whaley should back him up but both get a lot of minutes. Whaley is definitely much better near the basket but we don’t have the depth to sit either for too long.

Poe

Reaction Score
He missed a lot of easy shots, but this team does that on the regular. To me, it was his defense that really cost the team tonight. He was consistently beaten to the basket, and it was really a killer. Frustrating to watch.

Exactly, he lost his man too many times trying to help out and not being quick enough to get back to his spot. If he simply stayed with Kalkbrenner he wouldn’t have had 22 points and the outcome could have been different. He needs to trust his teammates’ defense more, unless Hurley is in his ear to help out on every play.

Reaction Score
In a post up situation, of course. I'm more concerned about him being beaten down the floor, and being totally lost on every screen that led to an easy basket. Those were killers.
That would require Dan to sub, and he doesn’t love doing that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He has good and bad games as expected.

Not going zone when he was getting manhandled on defense was disappointing by our coaching staff.

On to the next one.
I don’t mind good and bad games. But his bad games are really a killer for the team because we focus so much of our offense on him. He doesn’t get shots within the flow so if he’s off it’s detrimental. At least with Whaley is he’s off we can still run offense normally. His defense is never off either.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I just don’t think you can have Jackson, whaley, and sanogo in late in games where you need to score. Sanogo struggles with the traffic and they were daring whaley and Jackson to make shots. I was begging for polley to come in for one of them.
I agree. Can’t have all 3 on the floor. I just have a really hard time sitting Whaley with everything he does to help the TEAM. Literally the only thing Sanogo does better than Whaley is score. Is it worth it? We’ve looked so good when Sanogo gets in foul trouble and Whaley plays the 5.

Reaction Score
Biggest thing Sanogo needs to work on this off-season is his passing. We also need to design more plays where someone cuts to the hoop when he gets doubled. Make them pay for double teaming to the point where they stop doing it.

Reaction Score
We force the ball into Sanogo too much and then everyone stands around and watches. Just like when we gave the ball to Bouk last year and everyone watched. After we tied it at 52 didn't we force it into Adama twice for misses?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Biggest thing Sanogo needs to work on this off-season is his passing. We also need to design more plays where someone cuts to the hoop when he gets doubled. Make them pay for double teaming to the point where they stop doing it.
He doesn’t have his jumper… but I would love if he could be like Jokic. He can put the ball on the floor, has had AMAZING footwork, the touch, post moves, just learn how to get others involved when teams throw everyone at you.

Reaction Score
Defensive issues aside, there was seemingly a lid on the rim for stretches for Sanogo. Really frustrating game, have to imagine the dislocated finger had an impact. He will be back.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
There are clearly two teams\strategies we play with depending on if he's on the floor - what DH needs to do is be willing to switch from a Sanogo focused lineup like he starts with if it's not working and have Sanogo play more of the bench for those games. So far he's only been willing to do it when Sanogo is in early foul trouble. I actually think this is to our benefit, we've got a team that can dominate the inside and one that plays with a lot of cross court motion which gives us options when one of those is being denied.

Not getting more help onto Kalk with 4mins or so left or getting Sanogo to stop help D by that point is a coaching error IMO compounded by some clear mistakes Sanogo made (which happen, not a criticism really) are probably the difference tonight.

Reaction Score

My god - if Sanogo was making those bunnies that he missed repeatedly tonight - would you be saying this?

Sanogo, Cole and Martin - tell me who else has been more important to the success of this team this season?

The overreactions after a loss are beyond belief on the boneyard

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I too would love it if he could be like the MVP of the NBA.
I feel the sarcasm but Sanogo is talented enough offensively to be like him without a jumpshot. Learning to pass would actually make it 100x easier for him to score if he can actually go one on one more often.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
My god - if Sanogo was making those bunnies that he missed repeatedly tonight - would you be saying this?

Sanogo, Cole and Martin - tell me who else has been more important to the success of this team this season?

The overreactions after a loss are beyond belief on the boneyard
The reasons he missed those bunnies were because he was being double and triple teamed…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom