The Ribbon boards and Temp seating revealed | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Ribbon boards and Temp seating revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I won't get into pissing contests either, but I'll say this..Your hearing 50k from the state because they feel that is more than appropriate, but the bottom line for the blue prints is 55k...talk to the architects....it's there..

Reaction Score
You wanna be an obstinate circular arguer on this topic, go for it - but you said they had blueprints. Did the blueprints you reference below show temp bleachers?

This is not that important.

Those are questions. Holy cow. I was asking questions. Get over yourself and your self-important knowledge of the blueprints. I guess people aren't supposed to ask questions now.

Reaction Score
Um guys...
Take a look at the student section & the lower bowl seating in front of the jumbotron. There are gates at the ends of the aisles that currently lead to nowhere. I've been saying for years to add bleachers behind the endzones. Seat the marching band in front of the students. Something like they do at the floor of the XL. This adds about 5,000 in extra seating.
In front of the jumbotron you could seat military personnel, h.s. marching bands, etc. It would be like the early days of the RENT, when section 105 was sold to h.s. football teams or went unused.

Reaction Score
I don't get why the seats are up, if nobody is sitting in them on Saturday? Did I understand that right? I ain't drunk neither.

My guess is the potententail for permitting issues with the Town of East Hartford. If you will recall, Jerry Jones had temp seating installed prior to the Super Bowl but never got Fire Department approval to sit in them. It was quite the emberassing story as fans who spent a ton of money were turned away. I shiver at that thought of what would happen to this board if temp bleachers were installed days before the Michigan game but remained empty due to a permitting issue.
Also, the main cost in something such as these temp bleacher seats is the construction and deconstuction of the stands. That is where all the cost are. The rental rate of one week vs two week would be minimal.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
There have never been any plans for any seats near the scoreboard. Why is that so hard for people to understand? The original plans for the stadium called for the possibility of 10,000 additional seats.

Now that I am reading it, you are correct, the sideline expansion was for 10K, not 15K. The seating by the scoreboard was not part of the original plans, but it seems like a very easy first step at expansion. That is my only point. We will see demand for 45K long before demand for 50K+

Reaction Score
My recollection is that Volunteer Stadium in KNoxville is the same. Don't remember alot of concrete.

Plenty of concrete on the sides, less so in the end zones. When I went to school there the stadium was still horseshoe shaped, but they had added bleacher seats to the open end. A lot more than were added to The Rent. The other end zone was solid, but only one level. Both sidelines had upper decks. Then they expanded and closed off the open end and made both end zones two levels. Hence the current 110,000 capacity. Also, just to clarify, the Stadium is known as Neyland Stadium named after General Robert Neyland the legendary coach of the team.

Reaction Score
Just a thought about expansion. Ww should be advocating expansion to 60,000 or 65,000, that way when the state says too much they can cut it back to 55,000 and feel like they used constraint. Remember what happened with Gampel. We started with 12,000 including a hockey rink and ended up with 8,000 and nothing.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
quote="hthusky74, post: 690108, member: 3086"]Plenty of concrete on the sides, less so in the end zones. When I went to school there the stadium was still horseshoe shaped, but they had added bleacher seats to the open end. A lot more than were added to The Rent. The other end zone was solid, but only one level. Both sidelines had upper decks. Then they expanded and closed off the open end and made both end zones two levels. Hence the current 110,000 capacity. Also, just to clarify, the Stadium is known as Neyland Stadium named after General Robert Neyland the legendary coach of the team.[/quote]

Yeah my memory is certainly flawed. I never was in the stadium, just floated by on the Little Tennessee River while cruising on my uncle's houseboat.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Um guys...
Take a look at the student section & the lower bowl seating in front of the jumbotron. There are gates at the ends of the aisles that currently lead to nowhere. I've been saying for years to add bleachers behind the endzones. Seat the marching band in front of the students. Something like they do at the floor of the XL. This adds about 5,000 in extra seating.
In front of the jumbotron you could seat military personnel, h.s. marching bands, etc. It would be like the early days of the RENT, when section 105 was sold to h.s. football teams or went unused.

I don't think there's a safe amount of room between the wall and the back of the end zones to fit people in there without risking fan/player collisions.

And yes, I know they do that in a lot of places. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Reaction Score
We have been talking about the original design of the Rent. Now listen up. There was never any plan to expand the Rent by more than 10,000 seats. If we can ever get beyond that I will be as happy as anyone on this board.

Officially no one cared 8 posts ago. Let it go. We get it you're in the know.

Reaction Score
quote="hthusky74, post: 690108, member: 3086"]Plenty of concrete on the sides, less so in the end zones. When I went to school there the stadium was still horseshoe shaped, but they had added bleacher seats to the open end. A lot more than were added to The Rent. The other end zone was solid, but only one level. Both sidelines had upper decks. Then they expanded and closed off the open end and made both end zones two levels. Hence the current 110,000 capacity. Also, just to clarify, the Stadium is known as Neyland Stadium named after General Robert Neyland the legendary coach of the team.

Yeah my memory is certainly flawed. I never was in the stadium, just floated by on the Little Tennessee River while cruising on my uncle's houseboat.[/quote]

One of the cool things was the houseboats that would dock below the stadium and tailgate there before walking up to the game. There also was a railroad siding that for any big game had a few pullman type cars in place nexxt to the stadium. It seems that the powers in the state government in Nashville would schedule some sort of idiotic hearings in Knoxville on the morning of a big game. The hearing would last from about 9-10am. Plenty of time to get back to the railroad cars they came in on to do a little partying before they walked the 50 yards into the stadium! The best thing was no fighting the traffic from the 110,000 people. Just hop in the railroad car and off they went back to Nashville--all on the taxpayers dime!!!

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Yeah my memory is certainly flawed. I never was in the stadium, just floated by on the Little Tennessee River while cruising on my uncle's houseboat.

One of the cool things was the houseboats that would dock below the stadium and tailgate there before walking up to the game. There also was a railroad siding that for any big game had a few pullman type cars in place nexxt to the stadium. It seems that the powers in the state government in Nashville would schedule some sort of idiotic hearings in Knoxville on the morning of a big game. The hearing would last from about 9-10am. Plenty of time to get back to the railroad cars they came in on to do a little partying before they walked the 50 yards into the stadium! The best thing was no fighting the traffic from the 110,000 people. Just hop in the railroad car and off they went back to Nashville--all on the taxpayers dime!!![/quote]

Cool. I've heard about the houseboat "tailgate". Really cool tradition.

Reaction Score
WE could get another 2-3k by narrowing the seats ala the Big House

Been to a Michigan Purdue game at Michigan Stadium. Still have no freaking idea how +110K fit in that place.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ribbon boards added nothing Normally used to amp up the crowd Ours were nothing but ads

A&M's have detailed DEFENSIVE stats and number of snaps.

Its money.

Money money money money. That's it. That's all that matters.

It reminds me of the LED board at courts use for the basketball games. Duke and Louisville use it to tout the history of their programs. Indiana uses it as an additional scoreboard.

UConn uses it to run ads for Hot 93.7

Find a happy medium and make everyone happy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Did they take all the ads down around the Ribbon Boards? I thought they were going to be all around the stadium so ads made sense on some of the board (no I didn't read any article saying this was planned to be only a section so please don't post that article). My point is, if the boards with ads are still up on either side of the Ribbon Boards than it's a sham that they only showed more ads. Then again, I guess we gotta make up for a crappy upcoming TV deal somehow....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The blueprints and footings are not ready for this area.

Sez who? I took a tour of The Rent with an AD higher-up 11 years ago and he said that the place could be expanded in both end zones as well as the home sideline.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There have never been any plans for any seats near the scoreboard. Why is that so hard for people to understand? The original plans for the stadium called for the possibility of 10,000 additional seats.

How many stadiums were built to complete size in the first place...Not many. Look at Penn St, Michigan, Texas A&M, Alabama, and numerous others including Rutgers. 55,000 would be easy build and would satisfy the other conferences.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How many stadiums were built to complete size in the first place...Not many. Look at Penn St, Michigan, Texas A&M, Alabama, and numerous others including Rutgers. 55,000 would be easy build and would satisfy the other conferences.

Bill. Take a step back. Look at this athletic department. Do you really want to keep defending it in every post?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Bill. Take a step back. Look at this athletic department. Do you really want to keep defending it in every post?

I love my school and think the legislators have short changed UCONN every chance they can when it comes to athletics. The Gampel should have been 12,000 but instead they built it to 8000+ and then had to expand to the current 10000+. The Rent should have been 50,000 right off the bat but instead UCONN got 40,000. Small time thinking is a consistent in Connecticut.

I have more faith in Warde than I ever had in Hathaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01