The RENT is due for upgrades | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The RENT is due for upgrades

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Unless they are going to utilize the stadium more than 6 or 7 times a year-I say NO
How about more soccer, concerts , HS Football etc

If only the OP had put a link in his post and the linked article stated how many times a year the venue is used and for what the facility is used for. If only.

Reaction Score
The Huskies went for the current configuration & purchased a then, state of the art Jumbotron with the savings incurred.
Actually, the project manager once sat with me at a game (in the chair-backs) and said the chair-backs were nixed for a "better stadium sound system". He thought it was ludicrous--the proverbial penny wise pound foolish.

Reaction Score
Mansfield was against Storrs Center commercial development, too. And it still happened.
This. We NEED an stadium on campus if we want to take ourselves seriously. A college game day experience on a college campus is special. Bring alumni back to campus, they get nostalgic and make a donation to the foundation. Students will be more willing to walk to the game and fill it rather than get a ride 30 mins away and leave midway through the game to head back to campus to party. Our student section has a pathetic showing. Even when we were good half the section would trickle out before the end of the game. An on campus stadium changes that. If they can get downtown Storrs to work they can get a stadium on campus.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Unless they are going to utilize the stadium more than 6 or 7 times a year-I say NO
How about more soccer, concerts , HS Football etc
Rentschler Field hosts USMNT and USWNT frequently, the finals of CTHS football, tons of events. Even recently hosted the NCAA lax final 4

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field hosts USMNT and USWNT frequently, the finals of CTHS football, tons of events. Even recently hosted the NCAA lax final 4
Good to know- I would love to see a High School game of the week played there.
Kids and families would love it

Reaction Score
This. We NEED an stadium on campus if we want to take ourselves seriously. A college game day experience on a college campus is special. Bring alumni back to campus, they get nostalgic and make a donation to the foundation. Students will be more willing to walk to the game and fill it rather than get a ride 30 mins away and leave midway through the game to head back to campus to party. Our student section has a pathetic showing. Even when we were good half the section would trickle out before the end of the game. An on campus stadium changes that. If they can get downtown Storrs to work they can get a stadium on campus.
UConn calling itself a flagship university without an on campus stadium is a joke.

Reaction Score
The finals of CT high school football draws flies. We are not Texas, California, Florida, Ohio or Pennsylvania. The Rent will only be profitable (let alone break even) if UConn draws.....................period. Non-football events generate interest (modestly important) not profits.

As I've said before, the three college sports with game-day experiences that cannot be duplicated off-campus...........are football, basketball and hockey. Thankfully, basketball and (soon-to-be) hockey are in the fold.

Reaction Score
It’s still a great stadium to watch a game at. Good views. Easy access. Just needs a little power washing and some minor concrete repairs. It’s perfect for where the program is situated. Get some wins in there in it will come back to life.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I always get angry knowing that UConn basically foots the bill for the stadium losing money. When the article said that our lease is up in 2023, a large part of me really wants to hope that they say screw you and leave. However, they have nowhere to go because there won't be an on campus stadium. We can all dream but that's all it will be, a dream.

This team needs to win to start making a profit. Unfortunately, I agree with @gampelcrazies that the Rent is going to turn into the XL center 2.0

Reaction Score
Does the full article say how much the renvtion$ are expected to run ?

Reaction Score
Does the full article say how much the renvtion$ are expected to run ?
No.. the Courant article says they are “hiring Populous for $330,000 to conduct a comprehensive review of Rentschler and prioritize improvements, with an eye toward what is now considered standard for similar stadiums.”

The HBJ article notes that the consultant will prepare a major engineering assessment of Rentschler Field...

Reaction Score
How much would a low end home depot or Costco brand retractable dome cost? Create a large solar farm on the old runway area to generate enough energy to heat the place. Sell the excess and it pays for itself over time. This is all infrastructure right?

Play basketball, soccer, and hockey games there. 30K+ for some MBB and WBB Basketball games means increased revenue. Open the roof for Hockey in January, get an NHL game. It’s a joke all, if you got this far.

Reaction Score
How much would a low end home depot or Costco brand retractable dome cost? Create a large solar farm on the old runway area to generate enough energy to heat the place. Sell the excess and it pays for itself over time. This is all infrastructure right?

Play basketball, soccer, and hockey games there. 30K+ for some MBB and WBB Basketball games means increased revenue. Open the roof for Hockey in January, get an NHL game. It’s a joke all, if you got this far.
Funny, but I do think The Rent would be a great venue for a winter classic. Without a dome of course.

Reaction Score
Funny, but I do think The Rent would be a great venue for a winter classic. Without a dome of course.
1633183910529.png

Reaction Score
Rangers Bruins would be great as would Carolina Whalers and Bruins

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Yawn. This dead horse is taking an beating.

Reaction Score
The Rent will become the Civic Center 2.0
To build a domed stadium in Hartford or Storrs is about $2 billion based on cost of Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. That would give UConn a single home for basketball and football. It would also allow for conventions there during off-season to help offset operating costs. There is enough land in Storrs to construct one of these. A regular football stadium is at least $500 million and probably more. The XL Center in Hartford needs about $250M in improvements or more. The needed improvements to the Rent would likely total at least in the tens of millions of dollars and may be closer to $100 M. If we build a new sports stadium it would send a signal to the ACC, B10 and B12 we are serious about sports. Could help in making our case to gain membership.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It’s still a great stadium to watch a game at. Good views. Easy access. Just needs a little power washing and some minor concrete repairs. It’s perfect for where the program is situated. Get some wins in there in it will come back to life.
One quibble, great views imo.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I always get angry knowing that UConn basically foots the bill for the stadium losing money.
They place was built for them for free, for crying out loud. That the Rent somehow screws UConn is going have to explained for me to buy it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom