The RENT is due for upgrades | The Boneyard

The RENT is due for upgrades

Reaction Score
Millions in upgrades at Rentschler Field even as UConn football struggles? Officials say it’s time.

"UConn Athletic Director David Benedict said the university intends to renegotiate its lease at Rentschler Field -- a venue built specifically for the football program -- and will continue playing its home games at the stadium. Benedict also is clear that the football program is committed to competing at the FSB level. “The university has invested heavily in our football program from a facilities and resources standpoint, and there is no doubt in my mind that our football team can once again achieve success at this level,” Benedict said, in an email."

"Benedict said he also sees a clear path to achieving that success. UConn, Benedict said, has secured a long-term national television deal with CBS Sports Network. The university also has “constructed an attractive schedule that includes home games against regional opponents and programs that compete in Power Five conferences,” Benedict said.“These necessary upgrades will undoubtedly benefit our student-athletes and fans,” Benedict said, “but it will also benefit the experience of those at the dozens of other events hosted by [Rentschler Field] each year.”

Alt. link: Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Reaction Score
1633100648336.gif

Reaction Score
Millions in upgrades at Rentschler Field even as UConn football struggles? Officials say it’s time.

"UConn Athletic Director David Benedict said the university intends to renegotiate its lease at Rentschler Field -- a venue built specifically for the football program -- and will continue playing its home games at the stadium. Benedict also is clear that the football program is committed to competing at the FSB level. “The university has invested heavily in our football program from a facilities and resources standpoint, and there is no doubt in my mind that our football team can once again achieve success at this level,” Benedict said, in an email."

"Benedict said he also sees a clear path to achieving that success. UConn, Benedict said, has secured a long-term national television deal with CBS Sports Network. The university also has “constructed an attractive schedule that includes home games against regional opponents and programs that compete in Power Five conferences,” Benedict said.“These necessary upgrades will undoubtedly benefit our student-athletes and fans,” Benedict said, “but it will also benefit the experience of those at the dozens of other events hosted by [Rentschler Field] each year.”

Alt. link: Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
One small point. The FSB is one of the successor organization to the KGB. I think the article or you meant to say FBS. ;)

Reaction Score
One small point. The FSB is one of the successor organization to the KGB. I think the article..... meant to say FBS. ;)
It was a copy and paste ( around the Courant paywall ), so yeah.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The first thing they absolutely need to do is replace the jumbotron with a much larger one.
I suspect real, structural issues come first.

I would also put money on the powers that be taking the XL Center approach of minimal investment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect real, structural issues come first.

I would also put money on the powers that be taking the XL Center approach of minimal investment.
I'm actually okay with that in the near term, so long as they don't half-ass the structural stuff.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
“The stadium is approaching 20 years old and its lifecycle demands that we pay attention to it,” Freimuth said

So, you need money because you ate all the revenue for 20 years. Screw these crooks.

Reaction Score
If the place needs hundreds of millions of dollars in improvements, maybe build a new stadium on campus. Just don't put it on Horsebarn Hill. That is worth saving.
Mansfield will be against it. That was the reason UConn and the state put it in East Hartford. Mansfield was going to sue if UConn got permission.

Reaction Score
Renovate, modernize. I'm all for it. Here's just one small item on a very long list. The electronic ribbon is a joke. It should encircle the stadium. This is a big time school with great facilities. The Rent has to step up. Be much more inviting. A high scoring team would also help. Our team hopefully.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would seal coat the cement with something with blue color. The ribbons need to be extended yes, but I would love to see them do what they did at the Civic Center - create certain sections either with a bar or have screens on the back of the chairbacks that allow for replays, food ordering,etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would seal coat the cement with something with blue color. The ribbons need to be extended yes, but I would love to see them do what they did at the Civic Center - create certain sections either with a bar or have screens on the back of the chairbacks that allow for replays, food ordering,etc.
That idea to have the patio out in front of the food court made into a bar area was a good one, in my opinion. It’s a shame that moving the jazz tribute got in the way of that. I still think it can be done so long as the athletic department reaches out to the stakeholders, namely Jazz’s is family and the guys who worked so hard to collect the money for it. (He’s a Boneyard poster, but for the life of me I can’t remember his handle right now.)

I’ve always felt that a better location for the Jazz Memorial would be on the field right by the tunnel so players can tap it as they head out. I get that the idea was to make it accessible to the fans, but, it probably makes more sense to make it accessible to the team. JMO

Reaction Score
Unless they are going to utilize the stadium more than 6 or 7 times a year-I say NO
How about more soccer, concerts , HS Football etc

Reaction Score
"Chairbacks, chairbacks, chairbacks...."

Oh wait, we are spending millions to re-caulk? Well that's nice too.
When the RENT was built, it was done using the same blueprints as Louisville's stadium. The Cardinals opted for chairbacks throughout the building. The Huskies went for the current configuration & purchased a then, state of the art Jumbotron with the savings incurred.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom