The rehabilitation of Jim Cahoun's reputations begins.... | The Boneyard

The rehabilitation of Jim Cahoun's reputations begins....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Take a look at this great -Courant article-.

The only thing I take exception to is the APR language which doesn't aknowlege the change of rule, use of old data, and punished twice for the same period, points of the actual narrative. Still it is a great read and will help people outside of Connecticut to understand that Jim is far more than the guy screaming on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Take a look at this great -Courant article-.

The only thing I take exception to is the APR language which doesn't aknowlege the change of rule, use of old data, and punished twice for the same period, points of the actual narrative. Still it is a great read and will help people outside of Connecticut to understand that Jim is far more than the guy screaming on the sidelines.
Yup, to both... very complimentary and still with APR mistakes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This book is another step in that direction. As an active coach Calhoun is the man so many love to hate. Now that he is retired, that will wane.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing will be what happens over the next few years. if Ollie turns out to be a successful coach it expands Calhoun's legacy. If not, the next coach will develop his own as the guy who restored UConn basketball after it had fallen apart under his successor.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing will be what happens over the next few years. if Ollie turns out to be a successful coach it expands Calhoun's legacy. If not, the next coach will develop his own as the guy who restored UConn basketball after it had fallen apart under his successor.

"...fallen apart"?? Kidding me right??

2 years removed from a National Championship? Funny !!:confused:

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
"...fallen apart"?? Kidding me right??

2 years removed from a National Championship? Funny !!:confused:
Think he's implying that would be perception if Ollie hangs around for say 5 years and doesn't do well and leaves the next guy with a tough rebuilding task.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It all depends on one's perspective. One could accurately write an article discussing the past few years and talk about the Nate Miles situation, APR issue, loss of schollies, post season ban, numerous health issues, and mass exodus of players looking to transfer. Or they could focus on the 3 NC's, final 4's, NCAA appearances, BE regular season and tourney championships, and multitude of guys JC has put successfully into the NBA.

The guy is a HOF coach. He accomplished more than 99.9% of the HC's ever will. His legacy will be something to be way proud of for fans and players. But the guy was not a media darling by any stretch. Obviously I'd rather have had JC at our helm leading us to those heights than some of the other photogenic media favorites who have accomplished a fraction of what JC did.

Reaction Score
Think he's implying that would be perception if Ollie hangs around for say 5 years and doesn't do well and leaves the next guy with a tough rebuilding task.

If so then I apologize........truth is this "rebuilding" task is nothing compared to Jim's when he arrived so let's not make this a train wreck because it's not.......I know people would like to believe it but they have some nice players and a program which kids will still want to be part of.........

KO will be successful, in his own way and create his own legacy!!..................at least I'm rooting for him!! Not easy but "doable"!!

Reaction Score
Frankly that article should not have even mentioned Miles or the APR. That isn't the subject of the article and those two minor events have no bearing whatsoever on Calhoun's humanitarian giving.

To do so takes away from the message, but also fails to really address the situation. "Lost sight of academics" ? Come on. That's the LAST thing the APR actually reflects. The bottom line is about taking chances on kids that aren't really serious about academics, or who don't really fit in at UConn. Early exits and transfers are the problems that cause the low APR. End of story. You cannot praise Calhoun for taking Caron and helping turn around his life, then cut him down for the guys that he took a chance on that let him down. You can only lead a horse to water, you can't make them drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom