The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years

Do you believe in Edsall?

• Yes

Votes: 64 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 43.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
You’d think people who support the program would congregate with other like-minded people to discuss the program a bit more often, no?

I don’t give a hoot what other people have or haven’t done. All you’ve shown us is that you come here to dunk on the team once every 5-6 months. You don’t have much of a leg to stand on here.

I see what you did there

Reaction Score
I voted yes... I’m kinda shocked to how many people are so optimistic. It’s good to see most of us are backing the program despite the dark times.

Reaction Score
12 of UConn's 16 commits were rated as 3 star recruits on 247. The ones that weren’t 3 stars were 2 canadiens, a CT early commit, and a project OT which Edsall loves developing. UConn had equal or more 3 star commits than 23 teams that were rated above due to the arbitrary "quantity" aspect of overall ratings. Although Edsall's "diamond in the rough" approach is more challenging in the social media world, I still trust that he is leaps and bounds ahead of Diaco and HCPP in talent evaluation and roster development.

Yes, Edsall could have filled a few more scholarship slots with incoming Freshmen. He would have undoubtedly accepted commitments form a few more high schoolers, but my take on it was that he had a talent bar which he was not going to go below. He is much better off filling immediate needs with grad transfers or traditional transfers and not tying up scholarships for four years. Win some games...show some progress and a few more recruiting doors open for upcoming years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A dynamic coach with a ton of energy is required to move UCONN out of the muck and mire the program is in. Look what Dino Babers has done at Syracuse. If UCONN wants to be a big time football school the commitment needs to be made to find THE RIGHT GUY. I was shocked when Edsall was trotted back to UCONN. He abandoned UCONN for greener pastures. I do not blame him for that, but bringing him back after he failed is a bad look for the university. Find the most dynamic coach with great recruiting connections you can find and let him go to work. If you can't find a him, find a her, but get energy, motivation and talent back on the field.

Reaction Score
One thing UConn Football absolutely has in its corner is that CT doesn't really have a "home team" aside from UConn. No pro sports here. Yeah people love the Sox and Yanks and Giants and Pats but none of those teams reside here, they're all far, and rather expensive.

If UConn Football did somehow manage to start winning again, consistently, I absolutely believe there is potential for people to get excited about it. There are not THAT many great ways to spend a fall Saturday afternoon in CT and UConn could be one of them.

Could be.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
How am I a fair weather fan? Any reasonable fan points out when the head man isn’t doing good. That’s why everyone called out KO, so don’t call me biased because I’m an MBB fan either.

Edsall built the program from the ground up to the Tostitos bowl and two Big East titles.
Then came in the old guy who was fired from Syracuse a decade earlier who had the energy of mortician.
The next guy had all the energy but was a used car salesman and not a very good one at that as we know.
He is the right guy to get us back on track as he had to tear this crap down and I have faith he can do just that.
More than the yahoo's on here who think they know something but know jack when it comes to building a program.

Reaction Score
Edsall built the program from the ground up to the Tostitos bowl and two Big East titles.
Then came in the old guy who was fired from Syracuse a decade earlier who had the energy of mortician.
The next guy had all the energy but was a used car salesman and not a very good one at that as we know.
He is the right guy to get us back on track as he had to tear this crap down and I have faith he can do just that.
More than the yahoo's on here who think they know something but know jack when it comes to building a program.

I know if wins don't matter, as per HCRE2.0 in 2018, and I'm building for the future and am going to lose all FBS games I play (and again wins didn't matter in 2018) - I give quarterbacks who are going to be around in 2019 some meaningful burn.

You do realize HCREDreamJob1.0 was fired for running Maryland into the ground taking a 9-4 top 25 team in 2010 to a 2-10 record in 2011 and before being fired in the middle of the 2015 year he coached the Terps to a 20-24 record after his disaster of a 1st year. HCRE2.0 was out of college coaching until rehired at UConn.

Not sure why you are not concerned that the most recent example where HCREDreamJob1.0 failed to rebuild a 9-4 team in almost 5 years isn't as likely or even more likely to occur. Was he hiding his ability to coach and recruit at Maryland?

2019 is HCRE2.0's 3rd year. At Maryland he got them to 7-6 and bought himself another year and a half. What is the minimum wins in 2019 UConn needs to achieve or he gets the boot? I said 1 win in 2018 should have gotten him the boot at the end of the year. Is there any on field loss level in 2019 that will without question make it 100% required that he be fired? I'll answer my own question as why would I ask a question I would not answer. Team wins less than 2017 team he should be fired at end of season. Not a very high bar, only 11 teams other than UConn failed to reach that level in 2018 among the 129 FBS teams.

Reaction Score
I know if wins don't matter, as per HCRE2.0 in 2018, and I'm building for the future and am going to lose all FBS games I play (and again wins didn't matter in 2018) - I give quarterbacks who are going to be around in 2019 some meaningful burn.

You do realize HCREDreamJob1.0 was fired for running Maryland into the ground taking a 9-4 top 25 team in 2010 to a 2-10 record in 2011 and before being fired in the middle of the 2015 year he coached the Terps to a 20-24 record after his disaster of a 1st year. HCRE2.0 was out of college coaching until rehired at UConn.

Not sure why you are not concerned that the most recent example where HCREDreamJob1.0 failed to rebuild a 9-4 team in almost 5 years isn't as likely or even more likely to occur. Was he hiding his ability to coach and recruit at Maryland?

2019 is HCRE2.0's 3rd year. At Maryland he got them to 7-6 and bought himself another year and a half. What is the minimum wins in 2019 UConn needs to achieve or he gets the boot? I said 1 win in 2018 should have gotten him the boot at the end of the year. Is there any on field loss level in 2019 that will without question make it 100% required that he be fired? I'll answer my own question as why would I ask a question I would not answer. Team wins less than 2017 team he should be fired at end of season. Not a very high bar, only 11 teams other than UConn failed to reach that level in 2018 among the 129 FBS teams.
I think it's difficult to put a set number of wins on it. If we have another season like last year, I don't think anyone can defend keeping him here. If they win 2 games and look semi competitive against the mediocre teams on the schedule, that would be clear improvement over last year and probably earns him more time to build.

I just hate the idea of another coaching staff overhaul and a rebuild of the "culture". Changing coaches every three years has gotten us nowhere.

Reaction Score
You can be a fan of a team but not think the head coach knows what he’s doing... Happens all the time pal.
YES! Your diehard support of the football team over time gives you this right!!!
Your knowledge of the team and the situation is beyond question...:confused::confused::confused:

I’m no big CFB fan or anything
YIKES, not even a CFB fan, who could have guessed? You have single-handedly made fools out of all the other contributors to this thread...;)

Find the most dynamic coach with great recruiting connections you can find and let him go to work. If you can't find a him, find a her, but get energy, motivation and talent back on the field.
If you can't find a him, find a her. YES find a her with deep coaching roots and recruiting connections in football. Head bang
My suggestion here....Tomorrow is Valentines Day, Greg and Stepback should PM one another and have a lovely hookup over football topics.............:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A dynamic coach with a ton of energy is required to move UCONN out of the muck and mire the program is in. Look what Dino Babers has done at Syracuse. If UCONN wants to be a big time football school the commitment needs to be made to find THE RIGHT GUY. I was shocked when Edsall was trotted back to UCONN. He abandoned UCONN for greener pastures. I do not blame him for that, but bringing him back after he failed is a bad look for the university. Find the most dynamic coach with great recruiting connections you can find and let him go to work. If you can't find a him, find a her, but get energy, motivation and talent back on the field.

Sounds like Art Briles is the perfect coach the

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

So who would you go with for coach? We went the old school route that the high schools in Connecticut would support in Pasqualoni, which was a failure and the state power high schools did nothing for UConn and then they were still in the Big East not the AAC.

Then they go out and hire a big shot assistant who won the Coyle Award as the top assistant in the country. Well he was a salesman who said the players needed Vitamin C and needed a number of other things, not talent though. Look at this for a walk down memory lane

UConn needed Batman, just think about that.

While Edsall is not a high profile coach he is one who will work to get things right. I trust him as we've been down the other roads and they were failures. He is the only one to succeed here, remember that.

C

Chief00

So who would you go with for coach? We went the old school route that the high schools in Connecticut would support in Pasqualoni, which was a failure and the state power high schools did nothing for UConn and then they were still in the Big East not the AAC.

Then they go out and hire a big shot assistant who won the Coyle Award as the top assistant in the country. Well he was a salesman who said the players needed Vitamin C and needed a number of other things, not talent though. Look at this for a walk down memory lane

UConn needed Batman, just think about that.

While Edsall is not a high profile coach he is one who will work to get things right. I trust him as we've been down the other roads and they were failures. He is the only one to succeed here, remember that.

Wasn’t it Vitamin D, he was pushing?

Reaction Score
You two don’t know -all about CFB & you’re spitting pablum

We all know 1-11 on top of Diaco’s illusory weak structure leaves us in a vulnerable position. Roster management is one dude then another. This thread is a bunch of knowledgeable fans slapping thoughts down ... then you two rising once more - Captain Obvious.

I’m hoping for a good solid2019. I agree with the post that said we are rounding good talent positive positioning depth. Sure. TE&LB concerns. But we are now deep at DL & DB & OL + New beautiful WRs. Get one solid QB to step up. And be A Moneyball GM to grab 2-3 kids in the Spring. The best you can do.

Reaction Score
Actually, Pasqualoni was the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys when he moved to UConn. Hathaway was such a dope he allowed the narrative to become UConn hires Syracuse retread coach when he should have screamed "UCONN hire Dallas Cowboy DC."

Reaction Score
Our recruiting needs to improve. Has nothing to do with rankings. We lost too many battles on guys we evaluated and sought but then lost.

The same thing was said throughout Edsall's first tenure. The difference between Edsall and Diaco/HCPP is that many of Edsall's 2 stars became NFL or borderline NFL talent. That is a combination of talent evaluation and player development. Remember, the team that Pasqualoni inherited in 2011 had the following players on the roster:

Shamar Stephen, Sio Moore, Kashif Moore, Blidi, Dwayne Gratz, Kendall Reyes, Geremy Davis, Deshon Foxx, Byron Jones, Andrew Adams, Nick Williams, Yawin Smallwood, Trevardo Williams and Ryan Griffin. This is leaving out many others that attended NFL camps.

Even with those players Edsall was criticized for poor recruiting as his classes were generally in the mid 80s nationally. Pasqualoni brought in a few with NFL talent (Obi and Fatukasi). Some of Diaco's recruits are TBD, but nobody stands out as NFL talent. Comments of Chief and others seem like those of a casual fan who doesn't really understand the quality of recruiting and player development that Edsall is capable of.

Reaction Score
I wish. I just think he got a raw deal at Baylor and I know he would turn this program around in 2 yrs if given a shot.
I think we already have enough working against us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our recruiting needs to improve. Has nothing to do with rankings. We lost too many battles on guys we evaluated and sought but then lost.

This highlights my criticism of Edsall 2.0 so far. Recruiting and winning are a chicken and egg situation, especially when you don't have a history as MBB does or other football programs do.

Randy focused too far in the future, which damaged the present dramatically, and that in turn damaged the future. Maybe his hands were tied, I don't know. But he needed to do anything and everything to win more games immediately, because those Ws, that upward trajectory, is critical to recruiting. Its a very hard sell to tell kids they should come to a team with the worst defense in CFB history.

I think Randy has realized his error, and the JUCO and grad transfer players he's bringing in are very much at key positions where we need help to win right now. More of them would be even better. He needs 4 wins next year. Five would be great. That will allow him to bring in a better and deeper class next year, and then we can begin to see some real improvement. But he's going to need to keep supplementing with transfers. In the current climate, a 7-8 win UConn team is a fantastic potential destination for some of these quality transfers. I don't care if he hates it, he needs to use it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom