• Mcdonald

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the only thing we can be sure of is he hasn't been getting first team reps in practice until he got to UConn. He's had time to work on throwing accuracy and physical skills. What that means and what's left for him to grow on, i really do not know. Maybe mora thinks his reads can get better? I don't know.
I believe we’re seeing more NIL logic and less of ceilings and football-only barometers. Giving Evers the legit opportunity to grow is understandable and he deserves it, but if the NIL bag has any play in this then I would cut my losses and eat the NIL already spent and see if Welliver or others are the ones to give Uconn a 2-3 year period of an established D1 quarterback who can win you games himself, and primarily as a passer. Down 4 with 35 seconds to go on my own 30, I want a pocket passer every time. Just an opinion.

Reaction Score
I believe we’re seeing more NIL logic and less of ceilings and football-only barometers. Giving Evers the legit opportunity to grow is understandable and he deserves it, but if the NIL bag has any play in this then I would cut my losses and eat the NIL already spent and see if Welliver or others are the ones to give Uconn a 2-3 year period of an established D1 quarterback who can win you games himself, and primarily as a passer. Down 4 with 35 seconds to go on my own 30, I want a pocket passer every time. Just an opinion.
Its not the school's NIL to cut, its the donors NIL to cut.

Reaction Score
Two questions. Only asking here because you raise both points. 1. Evers has a high ceiling compared to who, and what are those indicators of high ceiling (while performing rather poorly). 2. With so much to improve what is he good at?
1. best physical tools (live arm, athleticism) among our QBs. I'd say the first 2 drives in the 3rd quarter vs Duke is a decent indicator (5-5, 76 yds, 1 td and 3 rushes, 29 yds)
2. Most of his issues are fixable, and some of them will improve simply with more reps in Sammis offense

Reaction Score
yes, but its not like Mora has control on that money which is the point. Its not easily swappable
I agree with you regarding Mora’s position and that’s my issue with NIL and college sports now.

I believe coaches will have say in the players they want to see paid (recruited) but as far as if/when/and how much they play, is no longer solely a coaching decision. Sad. It’s the equivalent of analytics overtaking MLB baseball. The managers are middle men or communication relayers. Mora is in a tough spot.

Reaction Score
1. best physical tools (live arm, athleticism) among our QBs. I'd say the first 2 drives in the 3rd quarter vs Duke is a decent indicator (5-5, 76 yds, 1 td and 3 rushes, 29 yds)
2. Most of his issues are fixable, and some of them will improve simply with more reps in Sammis offense
#1 is a great point. #2 may happen, and we will find out

Reaction Score
Its not the school's NIL to cut, its the donors NIL to cut.
Whoever is looking making the evaluation to pay NIL money to a kid with no college game tape to go off, needs their head examined. Bill Parcells used to say potential is another word that says you haven't proven anything.

I hope Evers really takes off soon, but throwing it in the dirt to a wide open TE is not encouraging and not development needed, that you expect to see happen in games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whoever is looking making the evaluation to pay NIL money to a kid with no college game tape to go off, needs their head examined. Bill Parcells used to say potential is another word that says you haven't proven anything.

I hope Evers really takes off soon, but throwing it in the dirt to a wide open TE is not encouraging and not development needed, that you expect to see happen in games.

The liaison between the football staff and donors who makes these decisions is quickly become one of the most valuable staff members on a football program and an athletic department. This is especially true for schools like UConn that don't have massive donor resources at their disposal.
There's a lot of risk/reward and risk management to effectively allocating those donor bucks.

Reaction Score
The liaison between the football staff and donors who makes these decisions is quickly become one of the most valuable staff members on a football program and an athletic department. This is especially true for schools like UConn that don't have massive donor resources at their disposal.
There's a lot of risk/reward and risk management to effectively allocating those donor bucks.
You'd think someone willing to give that kind of money would rather win games than be selfish.

Reaction Score
You'd think someone willing to give that kind of money would rather win games than be selfish.
The donations allow for seating preferences, food, parking, signage, VIP Access on steroids…however, it shouldn’t come with direct say over “on the field” outcomes. Certainly, the money should afford direct access with coaches and elevated opinion but I believe that’s where it should end.

This goes to the point I made earlier, the decision to play Evers is NOT completely athletic based.

My respect is increasing daily for the Sabans’ retiring, Kirk Ferentz holding on with his style, etc. they see the game is bleeped and I believe they realize coaches are becoming merely puppets.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's possible to want to win games and spend your money wisely. Overpaying for someone who can't contribute is a waste of resources. Used to be it was just a wasted scholarship. Now, it's also someone else's money. Scholarships are perpetual and reset every year; donors' dollars don't necessarily do that.

Reaction Score
It’s like Pete Carroll choosing to start Russell Wilson in week 1 after signing Matt Flynn to a big contract in the offseason. The same should apply with NIL and college coaches. You play the guys that can help you win.

Reaction Score
Why are we accepting as fact that Evers is only starting due to NIL? Four weeks ago no one wanted to see Fagnano take another meaningful snap at UConn.

Evers won the job and at the open practice at least looked better than Fagnano. Heck after that practice many were clamoring for Welliver to be the starter because of how well he did against the second defense. Fagnano played very well against an overmatched FCS team. He was ok against the Maryland backups.

Evers had a tough time on the road with the Maryland starters. He looked improved on the road against Duke generating enough offense to give the team a chance (and I don’t think people are giving enough credit for his threat as a runner helping to open up lanes for Edwards as you couldn’t sell out that he wouldn’t pull it).

I believe the coaching staff, whose compensation and retention is based on success on the field, is selecting the players they feel give the team the best chance to win. No surer way to lose the locker room (and the season) then to intentionally start a player the team thinks is inferior (or lacks confidence in) for any reason (money or otherwise).

History is littered with backups having a good performance, particularly against lessor competition. Fagnano was great against Merrimack and his performance, in that game, was the best in game performance of our QBs this year. That does not necessarily mean that he gives the team the best chance of victory against FAU (or against Duke).

I believe the coaches are picking the player they feel gives the team the best chance to win… not in some fan generated conspiracy that the starter is only the starter due to NIL dollars.

Reaction Score
A lot of what you write I agree with, like the coaching staff choosing the players they feel can best help them win. Also your point regarding losing the locker room and the history of backup QB’s. I think that’s accurate.

I’ve never put a lot into the Evers Fagnano argument on who should start. I personally don’t believe either are the long term answers.

Where I vastly disagree is the notion it’s a conspiracy when it comes to NIL having a direct impact on coaching decisions in any regard. If the bag is being spent on any specific number of guys, there’s going to be a different set of rules. It may not be the end-all but I’m sure it carries a significant amount of weight.

Reaction Score
"I believe the coaches are picking the player they feel gives the team the best chance to win… not in some fan generated conspiracy that the starter is only the starter due to NIL dollars."

^^^ this

Reaction Score
Why are we accepting as fact that Evers is only starting due to NIL? Four weeks ago no one wanted to see Fagnano take another meaningful snap at UConn.

Evers won the job and at the open practice at least looked better than Fagnano. Heck after that practice many were clamoring for Welliver to be the starter because of how well he did against the second defense. Fagnano played very well against an overmatched FCS team. He was ok against the Maryland backups.

Evers had a tough time on the road with the Maryland starters. He looked improved on the road against Duke generating enough offense to give the team a chance (and I don’t think people are giving enough credit for his threat as a runner helping to open up lanes for Edwards as you couldn’t sell out that he wouldn’t pull it).

I believe the coaching staff, whose compensation and retention is based on success on the field, is selecting the players they feel give the team the best chance to win. No surer way to lose the locker room (and the season) then to intentionally start a player the team thinks is inferior (or lacks confidence in) for any reason (money or otherwise).

History is littered with backups having a good performance, particularly against lessor competition. Fagnano was great against Merrimack and his performance, in that game, was the best in game performance of our QBs this year. That does not necessarily mean that he gives the team the best chance of victory against FAU (or against Duke).

I believe the coaches are picking the player they feel gives the team the best chance to win… not in some fan generated conspiracy that the starter is only the starter due to NIL dollars.
Wow, finally a post that make sense. Thank you.

Reaction Score

It's not like the people who make the donations are getting some major marketing from these guys. Winning is the point and winning is what gets more money. I would imagine if the incentive is to keep getting money for players in the future that the coach's incentive is not to play a particular person, but rather win. Granted I didn't give some large some of money, but I gave and I could care less who plays. I will continue to if the results on the field improve.

Reaction Score
For the r5ecord I do not think that Evers is starting because of NIL. I am arguing against people who think things are just as easy as "do".

Reaction Score

There wasn’t any difference between Fagnano and Evers that day.

Practice is Practice. Games are Games.

Our wins will come down to fine margins and making few mistakes.

Fagnano finds receivers better and isn’t sloppy with the football. And actually has some good games against FBS opponents under his belt while at Maine.

It’s a no brainer. Continuing to force Evers is just square peg round hole at this point. He kind of reminds me of DJ Hernandez. He’s good for a blazing run here and there but not much else.

Reaction Score
Seeing the field, making good decisions, and accuracy are three hugely important skills Evers needs to improve on. Hopefully the game slows down for him and decision making improves. That could also be part of the accuracy issue. Seeing the field may also be related. But just because he improves in one facet doesn't automatically mean the others are solved.

We need to see gradual improvement every week. If not it raises serious questions about his future. He's inexperienced but he's not a kid and his athletic ability means he should be able to adapt to this level of football. Tomorrow is a big game for him. And every game is a big game for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom