The Program's Turning Point | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Program's Turning Point

Reaction Score
I think Ollie was always going to fail, or at least have limited upside, as he was a good assistant coach but not the general manager of a program. So in some sense the turning point was hiring Ollie. But he did give us a national championship so I'll always be grateful to him. It's like being grateful to Amida Brimah for his three point play - Ollie went above and beyond his usual performance at a crucial moment, and deserves lasting respect for it. The later exposure of his weaknesses doesn't take away from his great accomplishment in 2014.

A more interesting question to me is what is the turning point in our return to glory. The easy choice is the hiring of Dan Hurley, and his team of quality assistants. But we are getting good crops of recruits. Will we look at one of them as a turning point? Bouknight as the next great wing scorer a la Ray Allen? Javonte as the pathbreaking big man a la Emeka? Gaffney as the next great point guard a la Khalid, Kemba, or Shabazz? Akok as a great forward a la Donyell?
Id bet a million dollars that you didn't have this thought. The whole board thought he was going to be a superstar.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Id bet a million dollars that you didn't have this thought. The whole board thought he was going to be a superstar.

Not quite true. Some of us thought that Ollie was forced on the program by Calhoun. We hit the lottery in 2014 with JC's players and KO hit the lottery with a big fat extension. The rest as they say is history

Reaction Score
I know most will disagree but I think the turning point was winning the championship in 2014. From what I have read this seems to be when Ollie thought he no longer needed the support of his mentor, Calhoun, and the other very knowledgeable bb people around him. He wanted credit for the championship and felt too much was given to others. That attitude and possibly issues in his personal life derailed what looked at the time to be a promising future.

would we trade the championship for future success? Maybe not.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not quite true. Some of us thought that Ollie was forced on the program by Calhoun. We hit the lottery in 2014 with JC's players and KO hit the lottery with a big fat extension. The rest as they say is history

When 2014 happened,and we had a top 15 class, plus the best grad transfers, those people were wrong...

Until they were right.

Reaction Score

Two players decommit because they couldn’t get Kevin Ollie on the phone.
That was bad but the recruiting based off youtube highlights might have taken the cake.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
That was bad but the recruiting based off youtube highlights might have taken the cake.

Btw, I assume KW never published that tell-all story that he wanted to make public .....

Reaction Score
I think the turning point was when Calhoun's last players graduated, and every player remaining was left with no guidance or coaching from the staff.

One of the worst fireable offenses Ollie ever committed, if true, was when Jackson and his dad came in after the season to talk about his development plan for the future. Ollie's plan for him was to "hit the gym". Obviously, after that conversation Jackson transferred. I know the school alleges misconduct, and the NCAA agrees, but in my opinion this lack of competence to develop players or even care to try to develop players is what cost him his job. Had he developed his players and kept on winning, there is no way UConn dismisses him for his recruiting "violations".

I was optimistic before this season that 2 years of coaching under Hurley would change the attitude and mindset of the Ollie hold overs (and I am going to hold on to that hope throughout the season), but after the start to this season it appears we may have to wait until these players clear out before we can see any real change in the program...

There are lots of good reasons to bash KO, but I'm not sure an inability to take Jackson and his dad seriously is one of them. The ego to talent ratio there was way, way, way out of whack, and Ollie taking them seriously in terms of what he was going to teach the kid that was going to make him acknowledged as the star of the team was never going to happen.

The story I'd like to know is what the heck happened between him and Durham.

Reaction Score

That ignores the job KO did his first year where he achieved beyond what any thought we could achieve with a team that didn't have a post-season to play for.

Reaction Score
Vital was never touted as highly as the rest of the “fab 5”. Even though what happened with that class was much more of a killer to our program , I also believe Daniel Hamilton leaving early hurt us he was definitely not ready for the NBA - He could’ve used one more year. Shud never have left. Cudda came. Back an all American and could have bridged the gap with the incoming guys. Both were killers. So crazy it’s almost like every possible worst case scenario needed to happen to put us in the spot we are in now. Unreal

Last edited:
Reaction Score
turning point for me will be the start of next season when more than half the roster- either 8, 9, or 10 of the 13 players- will be Hurley's

Reaction Score
Turtle got hurt in high school and the Larrier injury was a big setback too.

The Wiggins, Curtis Kelly, Sticks, Dyson, Mandeldove class didn't nearly live up to its hype either. And that wasn't injury related. I remember one game Sticks had 21 in the first half...... I also remember Curtis Kelly doing a behind the back pass, getting the Calhoun yank, and never seeing the light of day again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Turtle got hurt in high school and the Larrier injury was a big setback too.

The Wiggins, Curtis Kelly, Sticks, Dyson, Mandeldove class didn't nearly live up to its hype either. And that wasn't injury related. I remember one game Sticks had 21 in the first half...... I also remember Curtis Kelly doing a behind the back pass, getting the Calhoun yank, and never seeing the light of day again.

That class went to a final 4 their junior year.

Reaction Score
I’m going to take this way back and blame the university. My turning point has always been after the 2004 championship. The university should have capitalized on UConn’s dominance, built the new practice facilities way earlier instead of being behind the curb, and should have been grooming Calhouns successor or at least named him while before all the negative recruiting was going on about his age. The university has consistently been followers and not leaders when it comes to the next great thing. Their being slow footed after that second championship lead to a gradual decline with occasional highs. You can blame Ollie all you want but the UConn brand had been in decline way before him.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I’m going to take this way back and blame the university. My turning point has always been after the 2004 championship. The university should have capitalized on UConn’s dominance, built the new practice facilities way earlier instead of being behind the curb, and should have been grooming Calhouns successor or at least named him while before all the negative recruiting was going on about his age. The university has consistently been followers and not leaders when it comes to the next great thing. Their being slow footed after that second championship lead to a gradual decline with occasional highs. You can blame Ollie all you want but the UConn brand had been in decline way before him.
I, too, think our decline included two national championships and a Final Four

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
D Hamilton transferring.
Ridiculous amount of injuries. ( we played NCAA basketball games with only 6-7 players at times).
High ranking players that never lived up to their rankings due to injuries.

Grad transfers that were absolutely horrible.

Grad transfers that were absolutely horrible.
And Grad transfers that were horrible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom