The Program's Turning Point | The Boneyard

The Program's Turning Point

Reaction Score
While most continue to grumble about the Ollie players were stuck with (including Hurley), it got me thinking about the real turning point of the program. How could a championship in 2014 turn into the last three year's records of 16-17, 14-18, 16-17?

While it's easy to point fingers at merely existing in the sewer that is the AAC conference, paired with Ollie's ineptitude to adjust and run a program, I think the real turning point is the absolute implosion of the 2016 "Top 5" recruiting class, ranked 8th nationally.

I think we can all admit our excitement over the promising future of this class, and the praise of Ollie's recruiting abilities. The subsequent demise of this class is mind-boggling, which falls smack-dab in the middle of our most recent championship and where we are now. I don't have to remind you, but this is how it played out:

Durham: Transfer
Diarra: Injuries
Jackson: Transfer
Vital: Overrated role player
Gilbert: Injuries

I can't think of another recruiting class with so much promise that ended the way this one did, be that at UConn or anywhere else. The way this class unexpectedly transpired leaves us where we are today, slowly climbing out of a hole. Say what you want about Ollie forcing Durham and Jackson out of the program, and being naive enough to recruit players with known health issues, but like I said before, you can't deny you were excited about this class in 2016 and predicted an upward trajectory.

Such a crazy single-season shift in expectations, team morale, talent, bright future, and overall UConn culture we were so accustomed to.

1573837145541.png

Reaction Score
For me the turning point was Danny Hamilton going pro, he would have tore up the American as a Junior. A starting line up of Jalen, Purvis, DHam, TL and Brimah with the highly rated freshman off the bench would have been a top 15 team back then. Also, as someone who has my fair share of criticism towards Vital I think its crazy to call Vital overrated, I'm not sure how much else you can ask for from a 3 star recruit. It's not the kid's fault the program imploded around him.

Reaction Score
And James Akinjo a year later. He does not suck.

Huh? OP was talking about the turning point when things went bad for UConn and thats when. Akinjo was not an option at that time as he was like starting his junior year of HS.

pj

Reaction Score
I think Ollie was always going to fail, or at least have limited upside, as he was a good assistant coach but not the general manager of a program. So in some sense the turning point was hiring Ollie. But he did give us a national championship so I'll always be grateful to him. It's like being grateful to Amida Brimah for his three point play - Ollie went above and beyond his usual performance at a crucial moment, and deserves lasting respect for it. The later exposure of his weaknesses doesn't take away from his great accomplishment in 2014.

A more interesting question to me is what is the turning point in our return to glory. The easy choice is the hiring of Dan Hurley, and his team of quality assistants. But we are getting good crops of recruits. Will we look at one of them as a turning point? Bouknight as the next great wing scorer a la Ray Allen? Javonte as the pathbreaking big man a la Emeka? Gaffney as the next great point guard a la Khalid, Kemba, or Shabazz? Akok as a great forward a la Donyell?

Reaction Score
Tough for any coach to deal with such turmoil n turnover but it happened.....but man I hope these recruits pan out for DH n Uconn sake because the big east won’t throw a pity party nor take it light on us

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think the turning point was when Calhoun's last players graduated, and every player remaining was left with no guidance or coaching from the staff.

One of the worst fireable offenses Ollie ever committed, if true, was when Jackson and his dad came in after the season to talk about his development plan for the future. Ollie's plan for him was to "hit the gym". Obviously, after that conversation Jackson transferred. I know the school alleges misconduct, and the NCAA agrees, but in my opinion this lack of competence to develop players or even care to try to develop players is what cost him his job. Had he developed his players and kept on winning, there is no way UConn dismisses him for his recruiting "violations".

I was optimistic before this season that 2 years of coaching under Hurley would change the attitude and mindset of the Ollie hold overs (and I am going to hold on to that hope throughout the season), but after the start to this season it appears we may have to wait until these players clear out before we can see any real change in the program...

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I'm asking this because I'm actually curious. How were the practices under Ollie's tenure? Is there a stark difference between his practices and Hurley's? I would imagine yes but if anyone has firsthand experience I would love to hear about it.

Reaction Score
So true. Even just keeping Enoch would have made a huge difference for this year.
If Steve stayed he would have been gone after last year. But maybe you are saying he would have had an impact last year that would have positively affected this year?

Reaction Score
I'm asking this because I'm actually curious. How were the practices under Ollie's tenure? Is there a stark difference between his practices and Hurley's? I would imagine yes but if anyone has firsthand experience I would love to hear about it.

It's common for college/NBA or local HS coaches to visit practices. Happens all the time--generally, the operations guy handles all of that. Ollie was not nearly as open to having other coaches in his practices as Hurley is. That fact alone should speak volumes as to what those practices were like.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
CV isn't overrated he's just asked to do too much

He's a perfect 5th guard who's forced to play within himself to earn minutes.

Reaction Score
Durham: Transfer
Diarra: Injuries
Jackson: Transfer
Vital: Overrated role player
Gilbert: Injuries

Vital was the lowest rated of these 5 and has been the best player out of all of them. If Vital is an overrated role play, wtf are the others, even if they had stayed?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
It's common for college/NBA or local HS coaches to visit practices. Happens all the time--generally, the operations guy handles all of that. Ollie was not nearly as open to having other coaches in his practices as Hurley is. That fact alone should speak volumes as to what those practices were like.
That's kinda wild. It's weird to me because he took part in and observed a million JC practices. Couldn't he have just tried to emulate those? I know I'm not a basketball genius or anything but that's what I would've done.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

I don't know about the comparison of practices, but I like Javonte Brown Ferguson's comments speak about the current situation;

"“The moment I realized was when I first stepped on campus and I saw all the guys practicing and saw the assistant coaches and how intense they are and how the players took to them,” he said. “You can tell they really want to win. I want to be a part of that culture.” "

Reaction Score
That's kinda wild. It's weird to me because he took part in and observed a million JC practices. Couldn't he have just tried to emulate those? I know I'm not a basketball genius or anything but that's what I would've done.

Running drills, and having a BBIQ is not what KOs issue was. Most HS coaches in this state, even at crappy schools, could run a practice for UConn. Basketball is the easiest part of the job.

Late in his tenure when the wheels started falling off, I'd guess you'd probably have seen players that didn't respect the staff, maybe some unpreparedness, lack of intensity, disorganized managers, things like that. The hard part of coaching practice is getting staff and managers on the same page so things run smoothly, and remaining totally focused, energetic, and intense.

I think the thing with practices had more to do with Ollie in general just wanting to shut down the program to scrutiny; he knew it didn't look good overall.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
You could also say the turning point began prior to 2014 - Calhoun retirement, and the breakup of the Big East. The previous NCAA ban may have actually helped to create the Hungry Huskies in 2014, so I won't include that. But the Calhoun retirement lead us down the well known coaching issues path and playing in the AAC didn't help with recruiting going forward. One thing lead to another with the transfers, lack of player development, and recruiting took a hit. We all know this. Now, I do believe coach Hurley will get us going in the right direction especially since we'll be back in the new Big East.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's got nothing to do with technique or the actual mechanics or structure of practice. Ollie is well versed in that.

Being a leader of young men is about mentality, mentorship, motivation, will, and setting an example by practicing what you preach. You earn your respect.

For whatever reasons*, Ollie mailed it in on those post 2014/15. And that's why we are where we're at.

Hurley is quite the opposite in this department.

*these have been rehashed over and over on here but boils down to speculation. So not worth addressing ITT

Last edited:

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
DOn't forget losing Enoch in the middle. We truly lost a presence in the middle for defense. Would love to have almost 10 points s and 5 rebounds a game.

Reaction Score
For me the turning point was Danny Hamilton going pro, he would have tore up the American as a Junior. A starting line up of Jalen, Purvis, DHam, TL and Brimah with the highly rated freshman off the bench would have been a top 15 team back then. Also, as someone who has my fair share of criticism towards Vital I think its crazy to call Vital overrated, I'm not sure how much else you can ask for from a 3 star recruit. It's not the kid's fault the program imploded around him.
Vital was the most lightly regarded of that team and has contributed the most. Heck until he hit the two FT’s to ice Cuse he was getting garbage minutes. Later he became the chief sub in a 7 man rotation that with a half way healthy Adams turned into a decent team.

Reaction Score
If Steve stayed he would have been gone after last year. But maybe you are saying he would have had an impact last year that would have positively affected this year?
Good point, didn't take the fact that he sat a year there into account. But, yes if anyone stayed it would of been more positive than what happened haha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom