The problem ND is going to have with UConn this year | The Boneyard

The problem ND is going to have with UConn this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
1. They don't have anywhere near the interior size UConn does and thus will have distinct disadvantage in terms of interior scoring and rebounding, plus...

2. ...they are going to try to turn games into track meets because it suits their lineup. That is generally a very bad idea against UConn. See what happened to DePaul last year. I'm not saying ND would get boatraced like DePaul did employing that tactic, but running on UConn is certainly not a winning strategy.

Reaction Score
I am not impressed with ND yet. Granted, this is a tough game to judge; outside, sun in their eyes, new environment, and the first game of the season.

Still, not very impressive. McBride seems to be a bright spot though, I've always liked her game and I think she will be a force this year and next year. Diggins is trying a little too hard and Achonwa just isn't "there" yet.

U

UCONNfan1

I seriously have a hard time seeing ND keep the loss under 20 against UCONN. I think we will know a lot more about our team and how opponents will fare after the Texas A&M game. If we pound them into oblivion, I have a hard time imaging anyone but Baylor and probably Duke keeping it "close"...

Yeah I get UCONN can have an off night, but the chances of the entire team having an off night seems slim...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ND and OSU are both terrible if one can judge anything by today's game outside.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ND does not have the interior height to compete with us. They are guard oriented and they are good, but so are our guards.

ND gets crushed!

Reaction Score
I seriously have a hard time seeing ND keep the loss under 20 against UCONN. I think we will know a lot more about our team and how opponents will fare after the Texas A&M game. If we pound them into oblivion, I have a hard time imaging anyone but Baylor and probably Duke keeping it "close"...

Yeah I get UCONN can have an off night, but the chances of the entire team having an off night seems slim...

Expect a massacre<take no prisoners> when we play them the ist time at home!

We can play them small,fast,BIG and Fast,outside game,inside game So many options that they cannot compete against IMHO If Bria is back and healthy it becomes even more of a mismatch! JAN 5TH CBS
Ira

Reaction Score
1. They don't have anywhere near the interior size UConn does and thus will have distinct disadvantage in terms of interior scoring and rebounding, plus...

Yes, it was only the first game but ND has absolutely no bench to speak of. Wright was the only player to see decent minutes -- and as soon as she entered the game, OSU scored on three consecutive baskets. Plus, she does not have good hands or any post moves to speak of. The other Irish bench players to see action, Turner and Braker are pretty harmless, roll players...once again, neither one is much of an offensive threat. Was a little surprised that Michaela Mabrey did not log any minutes after hearing such great things about her on the USA U17 team. However, I was very impressed with Jewell Loyd, and Anchonwa had a strong game, and I really LOVE McBride's shot. Diggins definitely had an off game, especially with her ball handling...at least 5+ turnovers.

I am not going to read too much into this game as it was played outdoors in cooler temps...both the court and rims sounded hard. There is no doubt in my mind that ND is a better team than what they showed today but regardless, they have no where near the talent of UConn, and like others, agree that the Huskies will win both regular season games quite handily.

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to the beatdown. Kelly, Bria and Stef won't forget the past two seasons easily. Keep the pedal on, ladies.
I'm with you. I hope they get beaten by as many points as our national debt!!!! And that Little Miss Muffet gets sent home crying in her curds and whey!!!!! By the way who in gods name would actually name their child Muffet?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are gonna be alot of games UConn wins by 40+. They have no bench to come in and let up. They have to many good players and there is no let up. They can hold the ball and let the clock run out but thats about it.

Reaction Score
By the way who in gods name would actually name their child Muffet?

I don't know the family so I don't know for sure, but let's posit the parents wanted a child whose name rhymed with "tuffet." Given that, Muffet is a wonderful appelation.

Reaction Score
When I was born, my parents had a dog named Muffet (as in Little Miss Muffet). They called her Muffie. I have a hard time not thinking "Muffie" when I hear Muffet McGraw's name. I know it isn't fair, but that is my point of reference.

Reaction Score
Muffet's real name was Ann O'Brien. Muffet was a family nickname. She legally changed her name before her college playing days. Then after graduation from St. Joe's married Matt McGraw which started the "double M" family and continued with their son Murphy McGraw.

ND is going to have a ton of problems with Baylor and UConn. Luckily for ND they will be better because of the beat downs that will most likely happen. Come March those are the only two teams that I wouldn't give McGraw and ND a fighting chance against, including Duke. Both coaches immediately said they don't want to play outdoors again. This game shouldn't be used a measuring stick for anything except the ridiculousness of the venue.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll be really curious to see how Duke fares this year. With the injury to Williams, Duke is painfully thin in the post. Who's left - Vernery and RS Freshman Henson and true freshman Heckman. Henson was highly regarded but I have no idea how either of the youngsters are doing.

I don't think ND stands a chance against Duke, even with the injury to Williams. I realize ND has Diggins, McBride and a couple of good freshmen (Maybery and Loyd), but Duke has more depth and more overall talent in the guard spots (Grey, Johnson, Jones, Liston and Wells)...

Maybe I'm wrong and it's a really close game - I think Muffett is a better overall coach than Joanne, but talent-wise, I think Duke has more and is deeper...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'll be really curious to see how Duke fares this year. With the injury to Williams, Duke is painfully thin in the post. Who's left - Vernery and RS Freshman Henson and true freshman Heckman. Henson was highly regarded but I have no idea how either of the youngsters are doing.

I don't think ND stands a chance against Duke, even with the injury to Williams. I realize ND has Diggins, McBride and a couple of good freshmen (Maybery and Loyd), but Duke has more depth and more overall talent in the guard spots (Grey, Johnson, Jones, Liston and Wells)...

Maybe I'm wrong and it's a really close game - I think Muffett is a better overall coach than Joanne, but talent-wise, I think Duke has more and is deeper...

I think Heckman is out for the season with an ACL.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Our freshman Heckman is out for the year with a torn ACL. Peters plays the 4........ so perhaps in a pinch she could play the 5 at times... and have Richa Jackson be an undersized 4. Though Jackson is recovering from tearing her ACL in Feb. She should be ready by Dec I hope.

Anyway..... if Duke played ND this year..... I'd put my money on Duke without a doubt. ;) We should have beat them last year :mad:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Our freshman Heckman is out for the year with a torn ACL. Peters plays the 4........ so perhaps in a pinch she could play the 5 at times... and have Richa Jackson be an undersized 4. Though Jackson is recovering from tearing her ACL in Feb. She should be ready by Dec I hope.

Anyway..... if Duke played ND this year..... I'd put my money on Duke without a doubt. ;) We should have beat them last year :mad:

I agree, Duke would beat ND!

Reaction Score
Not so sure. Duke seems like they should win, but if you examine last years game it's not definitive.Duke definitely out-rebounded ND but it was the guards of ND that Duke couldn't control. It was the day after Thanksgiving on the Virgin Islands so who knows where players minds were at. Dev Peters was in foul trouble the whole game and only played 11 minutes with no real stats to her credit. Achonwa and Wright were the only post players who played. It was Diggins, Novosel, and McBride who beat Duke. If it was a back and forth game I'd agree that the teams were equal, but it was ND not showing up in the 1st half while on vacation and then coming out in the 2nd and dominating once they woke up. If ND can get Loyd to the point that they expect her then they will have a 3 guard offense that could do the same thing to Duke. Lot of ifs, but Duke isn't in the category of UConn and Baylor as invincible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom