The PKI Trophy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The PKI Trophy

Reaction Score
Yeah, I get it. It's wood. There is wood in Oregon. But it looks like something I made in sophomore shop class. C'mon man, NIKE is one of the richest companies in the world. Phil Knight is one of the richest dudes in America. We just bested an elite field made up of some of the top programs in college basketball. And they give us a trophy that looks like it was made with a leftover 2 X 8 from the backyard deck.

Ain't giving it back. Glad to have it. An impressive piece of hardware it is NOT. Great tournament, spend a couple bucks. Use wood if you want. I'm sure Phil and NIKE can do better.

View attachment 81226

It’s a nice trophy. The craftsmanship alone is worth plenty. Better than just pouring molten metal in a dye cast. Regardless we are champions

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s a nice trophy. The craftsmanship alone is worth plenty. Better than just pouring molten metal in a dye cast. Regardless we are champions
Nah any toddler can make a square wooden trophy.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It looks a bit like a book. Was this whole tournament just a scam to sell the Phil Knight book?
The amount of book plugs that occurred during that game were obnoxious. As well as the cut aways in coverage. At one point there was a triple box and in one of the boxes it was another triple box.

Clearly when Nike shopped the contract for the tournament there was a clause for plugging the book.

Makes me glad the Big East contract is on Fox and I hope it stays that way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought it looked machine cut. And what's that white on the left edge? Did it already scrape up against something?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not what the trophy is made out of. It's what the trophy represents.

Reaction Score
I thought it looked machine cut. And what's that white on the left edge? Did it already scrape up against something?

Without seeing it up close it’s hard to tell. Regardless NCAA trophies are t great either especially the earlier ones. Seem better now

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big-time shoe money?

I kid, I kid… frankly, I thought it was very nice of Phil to provide the winning team with a cutting board. It will be useful in cutting up team snacks and what not.

Reaction Score
The amount of book plugs that occurred during that game were obnoxious. As well as the cut aways in coverage. At one point there was a triple box and in one of the boxes it was another triple box.

Clearly when Nike shopped the contract for the tournament there was a clause for plugging the book.

Makes me glad the Big East contract is on Fox and I hope it stays that way.
In retrospect the book promotion was a bit odd. More than just annoying. Odd. Nike/ESPN really isn't in the business of book sales or publishing. At least not that I know of. I assume the revenue generated from 1 book is pretty insignificant as far as their bottom line is concerned. Phil Knight certainly doesn't need the $$. Walton was 100% on board in his promotion. At times it felt like he pushing the prepared talking points about the book. Why was it so important to push this book. Frankly, I don't really care about Phil Knight or his story. He sold shoes. He didn't build the railroads. Was all the promotion to satisfy Knight's ego?... maybe I'm reading too much into things. But I thought it was odd.

Reaction Score
In retrospect the book promotion was a bit odd. More than just annoying. Odd. Nike/ESPN really isn't in the business of book sales or publishing. At least not that I know of. I assume the revenue generated from 1 book is pretty insignificant as far as their bottom line is concerned. Phil Knight certainly doesn't need the $$. Walton was 100% on board in his promotion. At times it felt like he pushing the prepared talking points about the book. Why was it so important to push this book. Frankly, I don't really care about Phil Knight or his story. He sold shoes. He didn't build the railroads. Was all the promotion to satisfy Knight's ego?... maybe I'm reading too much into things. But I thought it was odd.
What does Conspiracy Kitty have to say about it, @CL82?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
When people usually say they couldn't care less about something, in fact they do care at least a little bit. Not the case here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
At least yours isn’t, yuck, orange.

CD54DDBC-9FE0-4E2F-A51C-DC02D6039BFB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Big-time shoe money?

I kid, I kid… frankly, I thought it was very nice of Phil to provide the winning team with a cutting board. It will be useful in cutting up team snacks and what not.
Some whine with your cheese?

Reaction Score

Hey, it's another won for the trophy case. Maybe just slightly towards the back of the case...
My first thought was both Geno and Dan have a new office door stop. On second thought the trophy may not even be heavy enough to do that. One has to hope Phil can give the workers in China and Vietnam a few more cents an hour with what he saved on these.

Reaction Score
Worst trophy of all time... One would think that Mr. Knight could afford.apring for one. That had some.class... Just sayin'...

Reaction Score
Invite trophies should be understated. I’d rather win a modest trophy at an early season invite rather than some gaudy thing that blocks the view of the more important trophies I intend to win later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom