The PAC-12 died about 18 months ago | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The PAC-12 died about 18 months ago

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that. They are making way more money than Notre Dame is now because they are a member of the B12.

The LHN pays them about the same that Notre Dame gets from NBC but, unlike ND they get a full share of the B12 money where ND only gets a partial share of ACC money. Texas is making $50MM between LHN & B12 money. ND is not near that but, they chose staying independent over joining a conference and cashing bigger checks.

Plus, being the kingpin of the B12 is good for Texas' ego. ND has no sway in the ACC. Everyone knows that Swofford bent over and acquiesced to ND in order to save the ACC at a time it looked like it might be ripped apart, but ND is still an outsider in the conference.

And yet, in every discussion of expansion on ACC boards, it's assumed that ND would have veto power over any potential #16 candidate should it finally elect to join the conference as #15. ND is the tail that wags the ACC.

Reaction Score
And yet, in every discussion of expansion on ACC boards, it's assumed that ND would have veto power over any potential #16 candidate should it finally elect to join the conference as #15. ND is the tail that wags the ACC.

I think board posters may assume that....just like there was also an assumption that UConn would be the next add.... posters ruminations mean squat.

Notre Dame may have a wish....I am not sure that translates into veto power. Duke had a wish.

I suspect that the next addition will have to be one that a majority of the Presidents support.

If Notre Dame is coming in from the cold...it is because they need to...and that need does not lend itself to the power that Shalala had.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think board posters may assume that....just like there was also an assumption that UConn would be the next add.... posters ruminations mean squat.

Notre Dame may have a wish....I am not sure that translates into veto power. Duke had a wish.

I suspect that the next addition will have to be one that a majority of the Presidents support.

If Notre Dame is coming in from the cold...it is because they need to...and that need does not lend itself to the power that Shalala had.

If they could get Notre Dame as a full member they would let ND bring Akron if they wanted.

Reaction Score
If they could get Notre Dame as a full member they would let ND bring Akron if they wanted.

Yeah, yeah...that is the message board gospel.

But...Notre Dame, if they desire to play football in a conference (through 2036) are bound to the ACC.

They do not have that power that Shalala had when offering up Miami.

If Notre Dame wants to play in a conference, it will because they need to....and will not happen before.

And need is not a position of power.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah...that is the message board gospel.

But...Notre Dame, if they desire to play football in a conference (through 2036) are bound to the ACC.

They do not have that power that Shalala had when offering up Miami.

If Notre Dame wants to play in a conference, it will because they need to....and will not happen before.

And need is not a position of power.

They aren’t going to need to. That’s the point.

Reaction Score
yada, yada....the ACC would do this or that to get Notre Dame to join for football.

....Notre Dame will not be joining until they need to.

....Notre Dame will not ever need to...

....round and round we go

Reaction Score
Once, a butterfly landed on a rhino's horn out on the veldt.

One thing led to another and the two talked and talked and fell in love. The butterfly said to the rhino, "it is not meant to be"...the rhino said.."let's ask the elephant, he remembers everything"..."there must be a solution."

So they went to the elephant who grunted and said.."never happened before, maybe the wise old owl will have an answer".

The wise old owl said "I'm stumped, but a message board will have an answer".

So they queried the message board and the answer came back immediately..."It is simple Mr. Rhino, just become a butterfly".

The happy couple began dancing about with glee...then stopped dead..."uh...how do I do that?"

The message board..."search me...I plan, I don't implement."

Reaction Score
your idea of logic only includes the viewpoint of florida state.

Not so....I have watched sports since I was 12, when God and I were still boys.

I may state an opinion...and explain that argument using logic and knowledge....

Some get mad when they get tied up and then flail in a personal attack...It is a message board truism.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not so....I have watched sports since I was 12, when God and I were still boys.

I may state an opinion...and explain that argument using logic and knowledge....

Some get mad when they get tied up and then flail in a personal attack...It is a message board truism.
Of course it is also a message board truism that trolls say provocative things and then feign hurt when people call them out on it.

Reaction Score
Of course it is also a message board truism that trolls say provocative things and then feign hurt when people call them out on it.

Read my posts in this series...what is provocative?

Whaler says that the ACC would invite Akron if it took that to bring over Notre Dame.

I say that I don't know about that...that Notre Dame, if they ever join a conference, it would have to be the ACC, and it would have to be out of need...and need is not a strong bargaining position.

Whaler responds that Notre Dame is never joining the ACC...I agree and say that we are then wasting our time talking about Notre Dame and the ACC in such a circular fashion.

Whaler gets boxed in by his own argument and lashes out.

What exactly did you see?

Reaction Score
I am honest about not being a UConn guy...but I discuss issues and sports as a man who loves sports. And I am intelligent and reasonably logical. If I did not openly proclaim it, one would not know my alma mater. But I do think it is important to be open.

If you consider anyone who does not blindly follow a board narrative to be a troll...well, you have no argument from me there...I sometimes have a differing perspective.

But if you read my posts, they are not flames...but thoughts...and on topic, and logical, not flaming...

If I provoke thought...that's a good thing....

And I am aware that some posters get frustrated by anyone who can support an opinion that flys in the face of their own....it is part of the discourse.

CL82

Reaction Score

Here you go:
yada, yada....the ACC would do this or that to get Notre Dame to join for football.

....Notre Dame will not be joining until they need to.

....Notre Dame will not ever need to...

....round and round we go

Pro tip: if you aren't interested in a topic, feel free to not to comment on it and let those who are interested discuss it.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Whaler says that the ACC would invite Akron if it took that to bring over Notre Dame.

I say that I don't know about that...that Notre Dame, if they ever join a conference, it would have to be the ACC, and it would have to be out of need...and need is not a strong bargaining position.

Whaler responds that Notre Dame is never joining the ACC...I agree and say that we are then wasting our time talking about Notre Dame and the ACC in such a circular fashion.

How am I boxed in by my own argument?

The ACC would let Notre Dame bring anyone they damned pleased if they woke up and wanted to join. It’s that frigging simple.

You agree it’s not going to happen - so at least you understand one thing.

I legitimately don’t get why you are here spinning every conversation in some stupid Florida State way while pretending your facile arguments are deeply insightful.

Reaction Score

Actually, even in your own summary, you did not demonstrate Whaler getting boxed in. Your "logic" seemed to miss, among other things, that there are two perspectives regarding whether Notre Dame joins the ACC or not. As a bonus, during the argument, you attempted to pour salt on a wound once again.

As fans of other schools, we are guests here, and should act as such. We shouldn't have to be reminded our participation is not compulsory. We should be more respectful in other people's homes, and try not to behave as trolls.

CL82

Reaction Score
I am honest about not being a UConn guy...but I discuss issues and sports as a man who loves sports. And I am intelligent and reasonably logical. If I did not openly proclaim it, one would not know my alma mater. But I do think it is important to be open.

If you consider anyone who does not blindly follow a board narrative to be a troll...well, you have no argument from me there...I sometimes have a differing perspective.

But if you read my posts, they are not flames...but thoughts...and on topic, and logical, not flaming...

If I provoke thought...that's a good thing....

And I am aware that some posters get frustrated by anyone who can support an opinion that flys in the face of their own....it is part of the discourse.
Lol, this is almost troll copypasta...

Proclaim your reasonableness: "And I am intelligent and reasonably logical."

Vaguely insult those who disagree with you: "And I am aware that some posters get frustrated by anyone who can support an opinion that flys in the face of their own....it is part of the discourse."

You did insert a "UConn" in there so kudos, I guess.

Reaction Score
Oh good grief...

I had an opinion...one that Whaler agreed with.

Notre Dame won't join a conference until it has to....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
College sports will reach a tipping point of collapse if it keeps carving schools out. I look forward to that day. Burn it down.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
College sports will reach a tipping point of collapse if it keeps carving schools out. I look forward to that day. Burn it down.

It's always good to hear from the more cheerful, optimistic among us. Like uplifting music for the soul.
Where ya been Nelson, it's been a while.

Reaction Score
You’re missing the obvious

As greedy self-serving nasty self involved an institution you may think Texas or N.D. is ... USC is exponentially beyond.

This conference stuff - as we have found - is Not a “all for one, one for all” deal. USC is the crack. If the PAC 12 is falling behind. Leaking. Watch for USC to make side deals or other maneuvers to get theirs. They always do.

Reaction Score
Oh good grief...

I had an opinion...one that Whaler agreed with.

Notre Dame won't join a conference until it has to....
You also miss a key aspect of what happened in 2012. 2036 is not forever and the ACC is playing the long game. The ACC was against partial membership until they weren’t. And the about-face wasn’t simply because the ACC realized they had been wrong all along. Swofford wants the Irish in fully, but like the frog in the pot he can’t turn up the heat all at once. So they’ll slowplay this until the Irish are comfy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom