The PAC-12 died about 18 months ago | The Boneyard

The PAC-12 died about 18 months ago

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Crazy how PAC was a solid 3rd behind B1G and SEC a few years ago. ACC has overtaken them for 3rd and, arguably, Big 12 may be in a stronger position in a few years. Scott has fallen asleep at the wheel.

Reaction Score
PAC needs to offer a boatload of $ to gettin either Texas or okla-Kansas.

Reaction Score
Larry Scott is a buffoon and it continues to amaze many here in PAC land that he keeps his job.

He has a small group of Presidents, including Crow at ASU, that are loyal to him but, the tide is starting to turn. The Mercury News & the Oregonian have recently ramped up their efforts to go after him and some of the leaked financial info is pretty damning including the ridiculous compensation for conference execs & the desire of Scott to HQ the conference in some of the most expensive real estate in the world.

If he can't pull a rabbit out of his hat with the attempt at bringing some PE money on board, which seems more doubtful by the day, he's going to be in a world of trouble.

Reaction Score
At what point does USC, and maybe a couple of the other “big brands” out there, start contemplating independence?

Reaction Score
At what point does USC, and maybe a couple of the other “big brands” out there, start contemplating independence?

Independence is not an option for anyone other than Notre Dame.

I've believed all along that maybe the 4 Cali schools would end up in the B1G someday. I know logistics are tough but if UConn can fly back & forth to Texas to play games for no money the B1G could figure out how to fly back & forth for for a boatload of cash

Reaction Score

I've believed all along that maybe the 4 Cali schools would end up in the B1G someday. I know logistics are tough but if UConn can fly back & forth to Texas to play games for no money the B1G could figure out how to fly back & forth for for a boatload of cash

I think that’s true to a certain extent, but not totally.

If not for the creation of the Longhorn Network, I think Texas would be independent right now.

Reaction Score
I think that’s true to a certain extent, but not totally.

If not for the creation of the Longhorn Network, I think Texas would be independent right now.

I'm not sure about that. They are making way more money than Notre Dame is now because they are a member of the B12.

The LHN pays them about the same that Notre Dame gets from NBC but, unlike ND they get a full share of the B12 money where ND only gets a partial share of ACC money. Texas is making $50MM between LHN & B12 money. ND is not near that but, they chose staying independent over joining a conference and cashing bigger checks.

Plus, being the kingpin of the B12 is good for Texas' ego. ND has no sway in the ACC. Everyone knows that Swofford bent over and acquiesced to ND in order to save the ACC at a time it looked like it might be ripped apart, but ND is still an outsider in the conference.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that. They are making way more money than Notre Dame is now because they are a member of the B12.

The LHN pays them about the same that Notre Dame gets from NBC but, unlike ND they get a full share of the B12 money where ND only gets a partial share of ACC money. Texas is making $50MM between LHN & B12 money. ND is not near that but, they chose staying independent over joining a conference and cashing bigger checks.

Plus, being the kingpin of the B12 is good for Texas' ego. ND has no sway in the ACC. Everyone knows that Swofford bent over and acquiesced to ND in order to save the ACC at a time it looked like it might be ripped apart, but ND is still an outsider in the conference.

Right, I still agree with all that. I’m saying if the longhorn network had not been created when it was; I think there’s a very decent chance that Texas is independ now (and UConn would be in a much better position now too)

Reaction Score
Right, I still agree with all that. I’m saying if the longhorn network had not been created when it was; I think there’s a very decent chance that Texas is independ now (and UConn would be in a much better position now too)

But all the LHN is is UT Tier 3 rights which everyone in the B12 has the ability to sell.

They just found a dumb*** in ESPN to give them $15MM/yr and sign a long term deal to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A football indy still has to have a conference to park their other sports.

It might be a tough sell, even for Texas, to park non football sports somewhere while keeping their money maker independent. I guess the B1G could buy the "we'll play five conference games a year" strategy that the Irish used...but the need does not seem to be there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But all the LHN is is UT Tier 3 rights which everyone in the B12 has the ability to sell.

They just found a in ESPN to give them $15MM/yr and sign a long term deal to do it.

They did until the deal the other day. Now it’s all with +.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I have thought that the Pac 12 would be the first conference to go to 16 because it makes so much sense. Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. to the Pac 12. Two divisions:

East: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St.

West: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, Washington St.

Maintains all traditional rivalries. Really expands the potential footprint.

Reaction Score
I have thought that the Pac 12 would be the first conference to go to 16 because it makes so much sense. Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. to the Pac 12. Two divisions:

East: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St.

Texas isn't leaving the B12 to make less money in the PAC. Unless the LHN blows up Texas isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score

Counter argument:

Those teams in the PAC make absolutely no sense whatsoever

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody is joining the Pac 12. Oh let me go travel and play in Pacific time in a dying league. Pass

Reaction Score
Nobody is joining the Pac 12. Oh let me go travel and play in Pacific time in a dying league. Pass
The East division is in Central and Mountain Time zones. The West is in the Pacific Time zone. You would play 7 games within your division and 2 out, one home and one away. Thus, the East plays 1 Pac time zone game per year.

As for $, the new league would get a much better media contract than either the Pac12 or Big 12 could get on their own. Big markets, recognizable teams, good rivalries.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The East division is in Central and Mountain Time zones. The West is in the Pacific Time zone. You would play 7 games within your division and 2 out, one home and one away. Thus, the East plays 1 Pac time zone game per year.

As for $, the new league would get a much better media contract than either the Pac12 or Big 12 could get on their own. Big markets, recognizable teams, good rivalries.

There are other sports.... and the interest in those programs in the West has cratered. Complete disinterest.

Reaction Score

So why would Texas walk away from the LHN & $15MM/yr to play games in the Pacific time zone?

To make more money for Oklahoma & Texas Tech?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom