The one that got away -- CC

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1542382281710.png

Second leading scorer on Texas team.

Reaction Score
Set the UConn team back years...
How so? Team has looked pretty good without her. The team is 72-2 the last couple years having bowed out in the national semi-final on OT buzzer beaters.

Reaction Score
Ultimately she may turn out to be a great player, but UT has played Duquesne, North Texas and McNeese State so far. Shouldn't we wait until they play a real game before lamenting Collier as the critical player that got away?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ultimately she may turn out to be a great player, but UT has played Duquesne, North Texas and McNeese State so far. Shouldn't we wait until they play a real game before lamenting Collier as the critical player that got away?
Well, she was the one that got away. Williams and ONO did not get away - they verbaled to UCONN and are now playing in Storrs. I didn't get the impression that the OP was referring to Collier as a Stewie-Maya-Dee type of player who got away, but rather the one this past year who got away... :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Due to the death of her father, Charli decided to stay home.
The sequence of events does not support this theory:
April 2016 Charli Collier's father passed away.
October 2016 on First Night Charli visited UCONN and was extended an offer.
December 2016 Charli Accepts UCONN offer and verbally commits.
August of 2017 Hurricane Harvey devastated Huston.
September 2017 Charli decommits from UCONN.
October 2017 on her birthday Charli recommits to Texas.
Charli visited UCONN and verbally committed after her father's death. Charli decommitted from UCONN after Hurricane Harvey. BTW Charli is not exactly playing at "home" she is playing at UT which is more than 3 hours from her home.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Right I remember that but it does not give a reason, and I thought what precipitated the decommit was a severe weather event hitting her home state hard.
You mean the worst hurricane in U.S. history?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The sequence of events does not support this... Charli is not exactly playing at "home" she is playing at UT which is more than 3 hours from her home.

If you are familiar with Texas socio-geography, a drive of three hours is considered “just down the road a bit.”

Reaction Score
If you are familiar with Texas socio-geography, a drive of three hours is considered “just down the road a bit.”

Dallas to Waco 2 1/2-3hrs . Not down the road but i do hear people say that often idk why .

Reaction Score
I have no special knowledge of CC's reason for dumping UConn but I believe the severe hurricane forced her to really think about her priorities to family and friends while at the same time Aston never relented from recruiting her even after CC verballed using the change of heart to rekindle her interest in attending Texas...............recruiting can be a nasty game..........I'm not sure if Aston's continuing interest is considered above or below board but regardless it worked..............I do hope the UConn coaching staff keeps those actions in mind when dealing with the next crop of Texas recruits.....................frankly, if Ms Boston ends up in Storrs, then UConn got a double bonus out of the situation with Boston and ONO.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have no special knowledge of CC's reason for dumping UConn but I believe the severe hurricane forced her to really think about her priorities to family and friends while at the same time Aston never relented from recruiting her even after CC verballed using the change of heart to rekindle her interest in attending Texas.....recruiting can be a nasty game.....I'm not sure if Aston's continuing interest is considered above or below board but regardless it worked....I do hope the UConn coaching staff keeps those actions in mind when dealing with the next crop of Texas recruits......frankly, if Ms Boston ends up in Storrs, then UConn got a double bonus out of the situation with Boston and ONO....
Why are you so convinced that Karen continued to recruit her after her verbal to UCONN?
Seems a rather harsh accusation without an iota of proof.

Reaction Score
Why are you so convinced that Karen continued to recruit her after her verbal to UCONN?

You are the master of past postings..........I'm pretty sure there was an article that came out and or comments made on the Texas board that clearly stated Aston stayed in touch with Collier long after her verbal commitment............that's not something I would have posted lightly but I know it was mentioned numerous times in the past..............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are the master of past postings.....I'm pretty sure there was an article that came out and or comments made on the Texas board that clearly stated Aston stayed in touch with Collier long after her verbal commitment..that's not something I would have posted lightly but I know it was mentioned numerous times in the past....
Don't read the Texas board, don't recall such an article being posted here. Before she was a UCONN verbal Collier was a Texas verbal. When Collier and Prince reopened their recruiting both stated that Texas was still under consideration, therefore it would have been appropriate and smart for Aston to stay in touch until NLI were signed. BTW Collier main recruiter at Texas (Tina Thompson) and UCONN (Marisa Mosley) are no longer with those programs.

Reaction Score
Charliebball said:
Baylor board thinks it's Collier too.one poster insisted that Texas never stopped recruiting Charli after she committed to UConn.....obviously there's no way of knowing that at this point but certainly possible
It is and that would not be surprising. Remember what Aston said about recruits after the S16 game a couple of years ago:

“I’ve said this all along, no disrespect to anyone. I can’t understand why anyone from Texas would want to leave Texas,”

Reaction Score
Isn't this pretty much standard and accepted practice? Plus in this case Collier had previously verbally committed to Texas, and then 'uncommitted,' before she verballed to UConn.

Reaction Score
Isn't this pretty much standard and accepted practice? Plus in this case Collier had previously verbally committed to Texas, and then 'uncommitted,' before she verballed to UConn.

maybe............. that's why I said above or below board............it was such a shocker at the time that came out of nowhere from a non BY poster...........there was understanding based on her situation but a lot of disappointment and some anger too.............

Reaction Score
Good lord. Move on.

it's actually a very timely discussion as Collier's decommitment led to ONO's successful recruitment while still leaving room for Boston.........it would be quite a coup indeed if UConn gets both and much of it because Collier went elsewhere.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom