The one that got away -- CC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The one that got away -- CC

Reaction Score
You are the master of past postings.....I'm pretty sure there was an article that came out and or comments made on the Texas board that clearly stated Aston stayed in touch with Collier long after her verbal commitment..that's not something I would have posted lightly but I know it was mentioned numerous times in the past....
Why would Aston continuing to recruit her be a problem? For top players this happens regularly. Many of the last minute changes and signings happen as a result of this. Until that LOI is signed these coaches don’t stop. They’ll do whatever they can to keep their jobs. It’s smaller than the men’s game but there’s big money at stake.

Reaction Score
Why would Aston continuing to recruit her be a problem? For top players this happens regularly. Many of the last minute changes and signings happen as a result of this. Until that LOI is signed these coaches don’t stop. They’ll do whatever they can to keep their jobs. It’s smaller than the men’s game but there’s big money at stake.

perhaps it's the fact that Aston was successful in her efforts while the recruit was going through some difficult external circumstances.............I don't go way, way back with UConn.................has Geno ever "swayed" a recruit that had already verballed to another school?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
The sequence of events does not support this theory:
April 2016 Charli Collier's father passed away.
October 2016 on First Night Charli visited UCONN and was extended an offer.
December 2016 Charli Accepts UCONN offer and verbally commits.
August of 2017 Hurricane Harvey devastated Huston.
September 2017 Charli decommits from UCONN.
October 2017 on her birthday Charli recommits to Texas.
Charli visited UCONN and verbally committed after her father's death. Charli decommitted from UCONN after Hurricane Harvey. BTW Charli is not exactly playing at "home" she is playing at UT which is more than 3 hours from her home.

Outside of the New England and Mid-Atlantic states, 3 hours by car is not considered far to travel.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dallas to Waco 2 1/2-3hrs . Not down the road but i do hear people say that often idk why .
Well when you can fit 40+ Connecticut's in Texas, it's just down the road.

Reaction Score
perhaps it's the fact that Aston was successful in her efforts while the recruit was going through some difficult external circumstances...I don't go way, way back with UConn.......has Geno ever "swayed" a recruit that had already verballed to another school?
Well... Charli Collier fits that description.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I cut Charli some slack because of her father's death and Hurricane Harvey's devastation to parts of her home town. I would have liked her at UConn, but I recognize her departure may have affected recruiting. Did it help us get Olivia and put us in better shape with Aliyah or Hannah Gusters? Maybe. Who knows?!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
it's actually a very timely discussion as Collier's decommitment led to ONO's successful recruitment while still leaving room for Boston....it would be quite a coup indeed if UConn gets both and much of it because Collier went elsewhere...
What is the factual basis for your presumption that ONO would not have come to UConn if Charli Collier had come? Or that Boston would not come, for that reason? Unless ONO and/or Boston have actually said that was a consideration in their decisions, it is pure speculation to think that it was, and therefore (IMHO) inappropriate.

Reaction Score
perhaps it's the fact that Aston was successful in her efforts while the recruit was going through some difficult external circumstances...I don't go way, way back with UConn.......has Geno ever "swayed" a recruit that had already verballed to another school?
Possibly? Probably? After Collier had verballed to Texas he got her to go up to UConn where he offered her and two months later she verballed to UConn. Like I said, these coaches never stop until it's over. Like the mob says, it's just business.

Reaction Score
Possibly? Probably? After Collier had verballed to Texas he got her to go up to UConn where he offered her and two months later she verballed to UConn. Like I said, these coaches never stop until it's over. Like the mob says, it's just business.

Uconn fan should let this go, but if you can't help yourself talking about this, perhaps you should get your facts straight of the timeline before making false statement.

Reaction Score
Uconn fan should let this go, but if you can't help yourself talking about this, perhaps you should get your facts straight of the timeline before making false statement.
If the timeline is different than this why don’t you tell me what it is.

Reaction Score
What is the factual basis for your presumption that ONO would not have come to UConn if Charli Collier had come? Or that Boston would not come, for that reason? Unless ONO and/or Boston have actually said that was a consideration in their decisions, it is pure speculation to think that it was, and therefore (IMHO) inappropriate.
I think his factual basis is it’s common sense to think if a top player in the same position committed it may lessen the percentages of signing another equally top player at that same position. It sure lessens more than increases the chances in most instances.

Reaction Score
Well... Charli Collier fits that description.

is there any evidence that UConn was speaking to Collier during the time she was still verbally committed to Texas.............isn't it just as possible if not probable that they only spoke with her once she decommitted?

Reaction Score

purely speculation on my part................isn't speculation pretty much what we do here on a daily basis? I'd like to think it's speculation based on some common sense..................do you think that Boston would be more or less likely to sign with UConn if Charlie Collier has already solidified her spot on the team? Same for ONO...........not saying that it couldn't happen but the odds are certainly greater then they would have been otherwise..........

Reaction Score
Do you guys see Collier or Sedona staying at Texas all four years or transferring? They’ll be fighting for minutes and the starting spot. However, Sedona will come off the bench next season due to the injury sustained. I’m really curious to see how this plays out.

Reaction Score
is there any evidence that UConn was speaking to Collier during the time she was still verbally committed to Texas...isn't it just as possible if not probable that they only spoke with her once she decommitted?
No evidence and he probably wasn't, just being a smart-ass and pointing out that, technically, CC qualifies for, "...has Geno ever "swayed" a recruit that had already verballed to another school?"

Whole episode a good reminder for Geno that you get what you ask for (if you go after fickle, you get fickle, etc.).

Reaction Score
No evidence and he probably wasn't, just being a smart-ass and pointing out that, technically, CC qualifies for, "...has Geno ever "swayed" a recruit that had already verballed to another school?"

Whole episode a good reminder for Geno that you get what you ask for (if you go after fickle, you get fickle, etc.).

I believe that Sedona Prince verballed to Texas when she was in 7th or 8th grade and then changed her mind only to recommit later on.............can't remember when Collier first verballed

Reaction Score
Why are you so convinced that Karen continued to recruit her after her verbal to UCONN?
Seems a rather harsh accusation without an iota of proof.

Hardly qualifies as a "harsh accusation" given that it is commonly done and not against the rules.
Do you think that might be a little harsh on your part?

Reaction Score
is there any evidence that UConn was speaking to Collier during the time she was still verbally committed to Texas...isn't it just as possible if not probable that they only spoke with her once she decommitted?
No, UConn would not have spoken directly to her unless she initiated the call. However, they could send her mail and I believe contact her coach. When she decided to take an unofficial visit at her own cost to UConn they were then obviously allowed to speak with her and interact with her on campus. That's when she was offered a scholarship. Two months later she verbally committed to UConn and you know the rest.

Reaction Score
I believe that Sedona Prince verballed to Texas when she was in 7th or 8th grade and then changed her mind only to recommit later on...can't remember when Collier first verballed
Collier verballed to Texas in Oct 2013 as an 8th grader, the first to do that of the class of 2018 according to Yahoo Sports article of Oct. 18, 2013.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Do you guys see Collier or Sedona staying at Texas all four years or transferring? They’ll be fighting for minutes and the starting spot. However, Sedona will come off the bench next season due to the injury sustained. I’m really curious to see how this plays out.
The Boneyard frowns on speculation about players transferring whether it be a UConn player or a player on another team.

Reaction Score
Collier verballed to Texas in Oct 2013 as an 8th grader, the first to do that of the class of 2018 according to Yahoo Sports article of Oct. 18, 2013.

Prince first verballed in 2014, decommitted and then recommitted in 2016

Reaction Score

they've played with and against each other for years and know exactly what they are getting into together..........

Reaction Score
The Boneyard frowns on speculation about players transferring whether it be a UConn player or a player on another team.
I don't think the Boneyard gives a rip about speculating on potential transfers on other teams. I see it all the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom