The OLine and the three Ws | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The OLine and the three Ws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the last thing I"m going to write. Promise.

THere's a big duckING difference bw being able to count to six, and being able to get 11 men to be able to adjust and run an offensive play effectively within a game plan.
Carl it's not that hard for a college QB to identify the mike. It's just not. Maybe you would be less frustrated if you stopped digging in your heels and compounding your silly statements.

Reaction Score
Carl it's not that hard for a college QB to identify the mike. It's just not. Maybe you would be less frustrated if you stopped digging in your heels and compounding your silly statements.

It's people like you that ruin a good football discussion.

To FD NY- I saw you liked my post. I hope you're not just "piling" on and deleting things you don't understand........I hope.

Look at the photo, go back and read what I wrote. It's physically impossible for our LT at the time, to adjust his footwork and get reset for a pass rush, like what's coming from the DE. Look at the leg positioning of each offensive lineman. The arm positioning.

There's no reason for anyone on the offense to understand what a 50 front is when you approach the game offensively this way. It's not surprising in the least to me, to read in Desmond Conner's article how hard it was for the lineman last year to identify a defensive front, find a focal point in the defense and get their zone reads and double teams on a hat from that.

It was clear as day that they were having trouble with it, watching.

Reaction Score
Carl, I would be the first admit I know next to nothing about blocking schemes and its possible or even probable that what your saying is completely true. But you have a propensity to take one position and then not see the reason in anyone else's argument.

But I love ya man, you crack me the *k up.

Reaction Score
29 minutes. That's all it took.

Carl, I really think the problems you are having here are due to you taking this site, and yourself, a little too seriously. When someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they don't know football. And whether you realize it or not, that's the way your posts come across (to me at least).

If you accept the fact that others can be as knowledgeable as you are and come to a different conclusions, you would have more fun here. I'm not begging to keep posting here, that's your choice. Take this advice for whatever it's worth.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I would be thrilled with an OL of (left to right) Bennett, Greene, Mateas, Masters, Friend. Bennett is the wild card in all of this.

If the OL does not show a level of improvement (taking into account the losses of Petrus and Ryan) in year 2 of DeLeone's offense I will be concerned. I agree with BL about P trying to do to much too soon last year. That was my biggest gripe with the staff as a whole. But the lumps we took last year absolutely have to start showing signs of paying off in year 2. Not saying we need to go 10-2, but tangible signs of improvement need to be evident.

I agree with this. I worry that the losses we suffered on the LOS (Petrus, Ryan) are going to hurt a lot more than we realize. Those guys have been consistent for a long time.

Reaction Score
A comment on moving Foley to TE's for BL......it's a change - but it's not a demotion. I don't know why you look at ti that way? Becuase there are 5 guys on the OL and only 2, maybe 3 TE's on the field at a time? It's not a demotion it's change. Was Wholley demoted last year moving from offense to defense?

If you look at that photo again, you may notice that we are in a strong side right formation, and the Vanderbilt D-Line is in 4 man down front with a 1tech, a 3T tech at the tackles, and the ends you've got a 7 and a guy way out in a 9 strong side.

That TE is going to have individual responsibility on that 9 technique. THere is no backfield help on that side, and the back wasn't involved in protections on this play anyway.

I'm going to go ahead and say that our TE's have had difficulty in such situations in the past.

I'm glad to have Coach Foley and his abilities, working with the TE's this year.

Reaction Score
A comment on moving Foley to TE's for BL......it's a change - but it's not a demotion. I don't know why you look at ti that way? Becuase there are 5 guys on the OL and only 2, maybe 3 TE's on the field at a time? It's not a demotion it's change. Was Wholley demoted last year moving from offense to defense?

If you look at that photo again, you may notice that we are in a strong side right formation, and the Vanderbilt D-Line is in 4 man down front with a 1tech, a 3T tech at the tackles, and the ends you've got a 7 and a guy way out in a 9 strong side.

That TE is going to have individual responsibility on that 9 technique. THere is no backfield help on that side, and the back wasn't involved in protections on this play anyway.

I'm going to go ahead and say that our TE's have had difficulty in such situations in the past.

I'm glad to have Coach Foley and his abilities, working with the TE's this year.

Let's see. You are in charge of about 15 subordinates every year, and your direct boss walks into your office, tells you that he needs to be in charge of the 15 because you aren't as good as he is at teaching the 15 what he wants and you are now in charge of 4.

In what alternative universe is that not a demotion?

Reaction Score
Let's see. You are in charge of about 15 subordinates every year, and your direct boss walks into your office, tells you that he needs to be in charge of the 15 because you aren't as good as he is at teaching the 15 what he wants and you are now in charge of 4.

In what alternative universe is that not a demotion?

Is that your impression of how the discussion went, or are you telling me that's how it happened?

Reaction Score
BTW: BL _ did you get anythign out that last post I wrote other than I don't consider moving Coach Foley to TE's to be a demotion?

There's a lot more important stuff in there.

Reaction Score
In the picture number 13 is the Mike. Just in case anybody wanted to know. The play looks to be an inside zone to the left.

Reaction Score
Also the defense is not a 50 front it is an 80 front.

Great pic by the way. Love endzone shots.

Reaction Score
Also the defense is not a 50 front it is an 80 front.

I referenced a 50 front b/c in Desmond Conner's article, it's noted by Kevin Friend, that he didn't really even understand what a 50 front was previously. I didn't mean that's what the defense was in the photo I posted.

I, for one, am much happier going into the fall, knowing that my Huskies lineman will be able to look at a front and identify it.

Reaction Score
Sorry I thought you were saying it was a 50 front. Like I said earlier there are only 6 guys inthe box there and if the play is a zone read(which it looks like) you just need to be able to count to 6.

100% agree. O line is harder for them to gel then it is the QB/Reciever. If they get working together it should be a great year running the ball. Pass protection needs work (better rb blocking help too) and a pocket presence from the QB will be the sign for a successful season.

Reaction Score
Isn't the TE position a combo of offensive line blocking and catching the ball. Think catching the ball involves running pass patterns, reading backfield coverages, technique in catching the ball. If Foley hasn't coached some of this, seems like would be good to get some responsibility and experience there. Not saying more important coaching position, just has more than blocking on its plate (but still having the blocking). Seems like Uconn uses a lot of 2 TE sets, which makes even more involved.
Number of people you lead doesn't mean how important the job. Who is more important, the QB coach who has one position or the defensive backs coach who has 4 and sometimes 5 on the field? If you went from RB coach where have mostly 2 in game with H back to QB coach with only 1, is this an obvious demotion?

Reaction Score
Is that your impression of how the discussion went, or are you telling me that's how it happened?

Dez, who got this from someone, wrote: "So now that DeLeone has the system he's most familiar with, he's the best to teach it."

Adam Masters said "[DeLeone has] changed up our stances, our footwork and a lot of our technique for his offensive plays, so in a way, our technique is built for his play-calling and I would say it makes teh blocks a lot easier for us now."

My explanation is the only one consistent with the article. Do I know it happened that way? Do I know Foley wasn't told "you're the best offensive position coach we've got and our TE play needs you the most?" No, of course not. But that would be an entirely different story than the one the article presents.

Reaction Score
Sorry I thought you were saying it was a 50 front. Like I said earlier there are only 6 guys inthe box there and if the play is a zone read(which it looks like) you just need to be able to count to 6.

100% agree. O line is harder for them to gel then it is the QB/Reciever. If they get working together it should be a great year running the ball. Pass protection needs work (better rb blocking help too) and a pocket presence from the QB will be the sign for a successful season.

Cuckoo carl spackler insight...... the QB that's got the best feet is going to be the starter. I agree, and I expect that the backfield pass protection will be a little better this year with a shoemate that stays on the field and Mccombs in year two.

As for the Mike - in the photo - as with anything our offense was doing in the past, all you need to do is look at where Petrus is looking. #13 - yup. Smart safeties sitting back there and looking could pick apart our blocking schemes, and it was constantly a one-one game with the safeties to break plays. You can play offensive football that way and be very successful, but you need very talented backfield players, and a QB that can make a defense pay for getting unbalanced.

Maybe if you feel up to it, you can take some of the readers through how you arrived at that six count to #13. I'm sure there are people out there that don't understand.

Got to have a thick skin though if you're going to try to talk football with some of the folks around here. ;-)

Reaction Score
For those that are interested in a solid foundation in football terminology and techniques beyond the play-by-play cliche's, I would recommend http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078XOX3C (Take Your Eye Off the Ball by Pat Kirwan and others)

Former NFL GM, is on Sirius/XM NFL channel quite a bit, but it does a pretty good job of bridging a gap between fan and insider

Reaction Score
Wow - Never played but I thought I knew a little about football but after reading this thread not so much. My head hurts. Way to technical for me.

Reaction Score

Oh My Goodness, I believe your correct, we are going to be much better off this year, Foley has the Tackles too! Someone has to hang in there like 73 said. Improvement this year and then next even TDH might like it. Maybe these guys are the Space Cowboys.

Reaction Score
Wow - Never played but I thought I knew a little about football but after reading this thread not so much. My head hurts. Way to technical for me.

That's mostly just Carl trying to convince himself he's the smartest guy in the room.

Reaction Score
Dez, who got this from someone, wrote: "So now that DeLeone has the system he's most familiar with, he's the best to teach it."

Adam Masters said "[DeLeone has] changed up our stances, our footwork and a lot of our technique for his offensive plays, so in a way, our technique is built for his play-calling and I would say it makes teh blocks a lot easier for us now."

My explanation is the only one consistent with the article. Do I know it happened that way? Do I know Foley wasn't told "you're the best offensive position coach we've got and our TE play needs you the most?" No, of course not. But that would be an entirely different story than the one the article presents.

THat's what I thought. I disagree. I think there is another plausible explanation consistent with everything that's happened. I think that Coach P had a meeting or several meetings with his coaching staff, probably both individually and as a group, after the regular season ended in December and did a full eval and criticique of the program. He evaluated everyone's strengths weaknesses, etc.

Coach P is the head guy, and in those meetings, I think he established what he wants his vision to be of where htis program is going to go and how its going to do it in the future, and that the biggest thing that needs a major overhaul in this program is the offensive side of the ball. I think that P looked at his staff, got everyone's input and fit Coach Foley to the TE position and Deleone to the OL, and it's a very good fit for both, in that we need TE's that both run and pass block 1-1 on a DE or LB, and run pass routes, and Coach F has coached both things well - and add the recruiting on - it's a great fit.

Coach Foley is a veteran football coach in New England and in the northeast. He's been recruiting and coaching up players to high level of competition everywhere he's been and in all aspects of offense from Holy Cross to Colgate to Harvard. Coach FOley was with Joe Restic for a year. Talk about understganding the recruiting landscape of the northeast? Coach Foley is invaluable, having recruited so long with an understanding of the landscape, and now recruiting for a 1-A program for a few years, and it shows, with the players he's brought in for the OL, and I expect the same for the TE position now.

I think that is a much more reasonable explanation for what has happened, than the scenario you have presented, and there's nothing that reflects so negatively about the move from OL to TE.

If having Coach Foley coachign the OL rather than TE's is some source of pride for you, then I understand your view. I prefer to see Coach Foley do the same thing with the TE's that he's done with OL at UConn recruiting and development wise, and I suspect that's exactly what Coach P wanted, and what Coach F is excited about doing.

Reaction Score
That's mostly just Carl trying to convince himself he's the smartest guy in the room.

THere is nothing complicated or rocket science about anything I've written. It's the language of football. It's all blocking and tackling. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom