OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten

Reaction Score
Another interesting act on the Capricorn label was a group named Captain Beyond.

They had one great song - "Sufficiently Breathless":

They had a lot of great songs. The lead singer and song writer was Rod Evans from Deep Purple the other three gents played in Iron Butterfly, the Allman brothers and Derick and the Dominos. All songs were written by the group . the group members also played with Rick Derringer and Johnny Winters. In 1972 they released and album named Captain Beyond that basically changed my music expectations from then on. Hope you have heard it if not go find it and let it rip.
Another interesting act on the Capricorn label was a group named Captain Beyond.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
FYI- I should have stated - a song that fits into ONE of these categories, doesn't have to be in all three. :D

Bonzo Dog Band, The Urban Spaceman - I used to hear them on Radio Luxembourg back in the late 60's when I was stationed in Spain in the Air Force - great tune.

OMG - Radio Luxembourg - that brings back memories. I used to listed that that station all the time in the 70's. They had their own top twenty that came out every week and I would listen to that show all the time. I lived in Scotland at the time, so my little bedside radio picked it up.

Reaction Score
Danny O'Keefe - another wonderfully talented singer/songwriter that has faded away into obscurity. The album "Breezy Stories" had some great tunes on it, including this one:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
These guys were kind of like the Bonzo Dog band meets the Mothers meets the Replacements. They did a tune called "Concerto for a found harmonium" that's become somewhat of a standard in the Irish traditional music repertoire. This was the first tune of theirs I heard, on a college radio station:

Reaction Score
Vashti Bunyan - she put out an album in 1970 that was overlooked, and she subsequently ended up abandoning her career. However, she developed a cult following and eventually she re surfaced some 30 years later. One hauntingly beautiful song from that early album of hers is "Train Song":

Reaction Score
These guys were kind of like the Bonzo Dog band meets the Mothers meets the Replacements. They did a tune called "Concerto for a found harmonium" that's become somewhat of a standard in the Irish traditional music repertoire. This was the first tune of theirs I heard, on a college radio station:

Boy, that one BB is a bit of an "acquired taste"...! :D:D:D

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Vashti Bunyan - she put out an album in 1970 that was overlooked, and she subsequently ended up abandoning her career. However, she developed a cult following and eventually she re surfaced some 30 years later. One hauntingly beautiful song from that early album of hers is "Train Song":

Wow, Scud, that's really beautiful. And my wife, sitting by the fire [in Maryland in the middle of May] agrees.

Reaction Score
Wow, Scud, that's really beautiful. And my wife, sitting by the fire [in Maryland in the middle of May] agrees.

Ah, that's a romantic sounding scene...:) Here's one for a mood like that - another beautiful song that's been pretty much totally forgotten about - "Touch" by John Klemmer: (PS very raw and chilly here in Indiana too..!)

Reaction Score
There were a couple tracks from Iris' Infamous Angel that I enjoyed (and that had moments of recognition), but if you grew up in a lot of the "one factory towns" that disappeared in the seventies, this one comes to mind when I think of old, obscure and forgotten. Always liked the unique twang that Iris has in her music.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Manhattan Transfer - well known as a famous jazz vocal group, but on their very first album back in 1971 did a knock out version of "Fair and Tender Ladies"

Reaction Score
That's quite a wormhole to go down. There are a bunch of bands in this genre. Within Temptation is one of my favorites, a good place to start.
Just listened to one of their new ones. The music was fine,. I just could not get past what must be one of the most annoying music videos ever.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just listened to one of their new ones. The music was fine,. I just could not get past what must be one of the most annoying music videos ever.

Their last album was okay, a bit of a departure for them, but I would recommend their earlier stuff. Maybe just audio version, the early videos were goofy.

Just out of curiosity which video was so annoying? I've seen "The Reckoning," not sure if I've seen a video for any of the other new songs.

Reaction Score
This fellow certainly had some talent, but flamed out way too early via the drugs and alcohol route. I really love everything about this song of his - "Happy Time":

Reaction Score

Very nice. I have never heard of them before and this song was awesome and interesting.

Reaction Score
I thought this might be an interesting angle to take music wise. I'm sure you have a favorite song(s) that just might fit into these categories. I'll kick it off with a beautiful acoustic tune from the mid 70's by a really obscure artist by the name of Brian Friel:

Reaction Score
Scud49: Think I messed up in trying to get this to you. What I wanted to convey was a "thank you" for getting this thread started. Same to the others who have added interesting songs. We finally made time today to listen to an initial batch. Appreciation!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom