OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I guess the farmer was a rocker, too. here is the mellowest cut of what's now a commonly covered 'rock' classic. might even set your head on fire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another interesting act on the Capricorn label was a group named Captain Beyond.

They had one great song - "Sufficiently Breathless":

Reaction Score
Highway Song - this beautiful tune was written by James Taylor, but by far my favorite version of it was done by his brother, Alex Taylor. It is indeed, one of those songs that's just great to hear out on the highway. :D

Reaction Score
Spot on Waquoit- he has seemingly drifted into the dustbins of the musical past - one great heavy blues/rock talent:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not my usual cup of tea thread but as an homage to Steph Curry and the Warriors who undermanned, and left for dead, took back their territory :D

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I have a nominee for forgotten - Robin Trower. He had four gold records in a row and a Top 10 live album. I never hear him at all these days.

He is still touring and has a recently released album. Somehow the magic just got lost.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This one’s from Kate Price, a hammered dulcimer player formerly of Santa Barbara, now I think in Napa. This is a poem by Robert Hillyer that she beautifully put to music.

Reaction Score
Riki Lee Jones - I think she started out like a house afire in the 70's, but to me she never fully took flight. What a talent though - this is "Last Chance Texaco" at Farm Aid:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Riki Lee Jones - I think she started out like a house afire in the 70's, but to me she never fully took flight. What a talent though - this is "Last Chance Texaco" at Farm Aid:

I saw part of a Rikki Lee concert on a show called something like "Broadcasting from the Kate," (The Katharine Hepburn theater in Old Saybrook) on PBS. My wife and I both agreed she shouldn't put herself on display any more.

She and Tom Waits were a couple in the 70's. The Chuck E from "Chuck E's in love" was Waits's friend Chuck E Weiss, who appears frequently in his songs/stories from early in his career. Waits cleaned up his act when he married Kathleen Brennan; I don't think Rikki Lee ever did, or at least not as early. I find it fascinating that after having given up drinking and smoking, Waits still hangs out at the track and his songs tell stories of the underside of society as though he's still part of it -- I wonder if he still hangs out in seedy places some.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
This is obscure , at least to me, and hauntingly lovely. I heard it on a TV series soundtrack.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This guy doesn't quite fit into classical, folk, or early music. IMO he fits into all three. My wife was a fan when we got married, and we've seen him a few times. That was my introduction to wooden flutes, and I've since started playing and making them. This is possibly the most beautiful flute piece (originally written for the harp) I've ever heard.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
This reminded of a song I’ve always liked by Small Faces in which the opening line is “Over bridge of sighs”

I think the original Bridge of Sighs was/is in Venice. But years ago there was an elevated walkway between the Allegheny County Jail and the Allegheny County Courthouse. There were many dolorous trips over that span, so local Pittsburgh people referred to it as the Bridge of Sighs. BTW , Itchycoo Park was a great song!

Reaction Score
She and Tom Waits were a couple in the 70's.

Tom Waits - one amazing talent. His version of Red Sovine's "Big Joe and Phantom 309" is superb and pure Americana in all respects. I'd say it's obscure now, but I used to hear it a fair amount on FM back in the 70's. It's an incredible road song and a real favorite of mine:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love Waits’s version of Big Joe. I don’t know what is about his music (other than the incredible creativity), but there’s an emotional level he gets to that nobody else does for me. There are a dozen of his songs that have brought me to tears or made me crack up laughing. Here’s a humorous one that could only come from Waits:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ry Cooder did. lot of dust-bowl era stuff early in his career. Here’s one:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is the llast track from Blondie’s first album, also hilarious.

Reaction Score
Santana isn't obscure or anything, but this incredibly beautiful song has always been buried in a 1970's album of theirs - "Moonflower". So I think it can ring the "Obscure" bell:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Santana isn't obscure or anything, but this incredibly beautiful song has always been buried in a 1970's album of theirs - "Moonflower". So I think it can ring the "Obscure" bell:

Yeah, Moon Flower was not their best effort. I thought after Carlos cleaned house after Santana 3, it took him a long time to find another combination that worked. I dunno if you're aware, the somewhat original combo got together a few years ago for a new album (Santana 4) and a show or tour. I have the DVD and CD, and it's amazing.

I'm glad that Greg Rolie has been doubly enshrined in the Rock 'n' Roll HoF (founding member of Santana and Journey). He's a great singer and keyboard player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom