The Official UConn Show Me Winning (!) Thread !! | Page 38 | The Boneyard

The Official UConn Show Me Winning (!) Thread !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish that UConn had attempted to score with their offense rather than try that fake field goal that was pretty much diagnosed from the get go. Other than that, I think UConn really proved something to themselves and to a lot of people in the country. With a better offensive line and a couple more talented skill players, UConn would be doing quite well. Diaco seems to have things going in the right direction and it's quite encouraging!

I agree..I think the future is bright. If this was last years' team, we would have gotten blown away, losing by 3 hurts, but did ANYONE thought we would held them to 9 points?

Reaction Score
I cant remember now, but was the 5 yards we gave back to them on the false start on that last set of downs? Would that have made that run by BS a first down?
Tough to say-a different down & distance probably changes our play call and their play call. Of course-never good to give away 5 yards....

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, that's an utterly lousy and almost cowardly way to end a tough, exhausting battle. And honestly, just foolish foolish coaching.
You're a crappy fan. You've confused "over the top, unhealthy, unrealistic, blinded, rabid" fan with "good fan." It's not that you are not a fan - it's that you are the embarrassing, crappy type of fan.
Cowardly? Do you have any idea how insane that sounds? Get some help.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with the call. You play the game to win, plain and simple.

Many positives from this game. Defense is very good. Some miscues, yes,but every team has them. The Oline did not wilt under Mizzou's pressure. Sheriffs is the real deal. Very good core of receivers. Running game will improve. Like the game calling by Verducci - imaginative and bold and aggressive.

Considering we were 20+ point underdogs, damn good showing.

This is still a young team that is learning how to win. You hold a top 25 team to 9 points you are doing something right.
You play the game to win but I would have liked that fourth down play with the regular offense in there, because they obviously were looking for that trick play. Win the game with our starting quarterback and his offense!!!!!!

Reaction Score
This team has made great progress. In our first loss of the year, the Defense looked better than it has in a very long time. As for the last play, I don't mind it at all. These coaches are at practice with these kids every day, and I'm betting they know more about their capabilities than any one on this Board. They rolled the dice on the fake field goal, but that may have been because they didn't like our chances in overtime. It's a game of chance and missed opportunities. Overall, the fact that we were in this game at all should make everyone feel pretty good about the future of UConn football.

Reaction Score
You're a crappy fan. You've confused "over the top, unhealthy, unrealistic, blinded, rabid" fan with "good fan." It's not that you are not a fan - it's that you are the embarrassing, crappy type of fan.
Cowardly? Do you have any idea how insane that sounds? Get some help.
TasteofUConn? I've never heard of you.

Nah, I'm not going to back down from this one. Here's why it's "almost cowardly":

No one expected UConn to have a chance in this one. 23 point underdogs, in fact. It's not surprising, but the game goes differently and you are 4th and 4 or a 42 yard field goal away from tying or winning the game. There's even still time on the clock, so if you go for it and get the 1st down you have time (and 1 timeout, I think) to get a TD or a closer FG attempt. Getting a win is still distinctly possible. No decent football coach would think otherwise.

In all reality, you only have two choices. Trust your offense (Hottest they've been all game), or trust your kicking game (your kicker is 3/3 this year). A fake FG shouldn't even be on your board for 3 simple reasons: 1) There's still time on the clock. Get the 1st down and claim that time. 2) You don't NEED a TD. 3.) You already tried and failed. No one does it twice because it basically never works. Like ever.

The odds of a successful second fake FG (not even counting the fake punt) are astronomically worse than getting 4 yards for the 1st down or making a 42 yard field goal regardless of the success of the MIZZ rush. He chooses the 2nd fake FG, smh.

Here's why I called it "almost cowardly": It's a safety net. It confirms the dialogue that you never really belonged in this game. The only possible way you could beat this superior opponent is a trick play to win. This isn't Boise St and Oklahoma. This is two evenly matched teams as evidenced by the whole game, which is, in this moment, all the evidence you need. You ran your best guys out there all game and they held their own against Missouri's best. Run your best out there again. The chances they manage to hold their own yet again are unbelievably better than the chances of hitting on a 2nd fake FG.

TasteofUConn, your profile shows you've only been here since May 2015. Were you around last year? Because this is not the first time Bobby D has given away an opportunity for a win. There were maybe 3 games last year where he made similar questionable moves which were excruciatingly painful to watch. We can dig up those threads if need be. We had hoped he'd grow out of that, but today proves otherwise. You coach a great, tight game like that. Your players battle and battle and put you in a position to tie or win. And you throw it away like that.

Almost on cue, the broadcasters start saying things like "What did Diaco/UConn have to lose?" Or "They had nothing to lose." I'm not going to apologize for believing a win against Missouri is absolutely NOT "nothing to lose".

You don't have to be a "over the top, unhealthy, unrealistic, blinded, rabid" fan to be frustrated by this one. Progress is great, but I want my team to win, and I think winning happens to be the best way to win and, coincidentally, the best way to learn how to win. Sorry, but I'm not content with "progress" or "there's always next week/next year". I'm not a Cleveland Browns fan. In a faithful fan of the University of Connecticut Huskies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro