The Official UConn Show Me Winning (!) Thread !! | Page 37 | The Boneyard

The Official UConn Show Me Winning (!) Thread !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They missed a FG too. You can't only count the mistakes on one side.[/QUOTE Didn't we miss a field goal, as well. We were the better team all day long! Missouri did not impress on any level!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So did we.

Our kicker didn't reach the uprights on a long attempt. They banged one off from the center of the field. They had every opportunity to win the game - but you can't ignore the mistakes that the other team makes when you add up hypothetical scores.

Reaction Score
You either go for it with the offense there or you kick. Period.

With the ST play, Mizzou had no confidence that UConn could make the kick and bet that UConn didn't either. So of course they went into the safety defense. Bad decision. Happy with the game... this is a team that is good enough to get to 6 wins, which was better than I hoped at the start of the year. Liked the two minute drill, even allowing that it was against a prevent defense.
Disappointed in the coach
Well-the team's apparent improvement from last year to this year has a lot to do with the coach....the fake FG was a big mistake but there were way more positives than negatives today that coach had his hands on. I take heart in this teams direction!

Reaction Score
Disappointed in the play call but the coaching staff appears to have moved the needle with this team.

Reaction Score
Very disappointed in the play call. Lots of hope for future. Not many penalties, especially pre snap. Defense very dominant. ST is fixable, maybe new players need to play there. Next year we only lose 11, only 6 starters. FUTURE is so BRIGHT. We were on the road in front of 70,000 on ESPN. Love my guys. They are learning. Diaco will get better. Already 100x better than year 1. Great recruiting class coming in.................Would you guys have rather got blown out on National TV?

Reaction Score
should be interesting to hear an explanation for the rationale on that last play

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I cant remember now, but was the 5 yards we gave back to them on the false start on that last set of downs? Would that have made that run by BS a first down?

Reaction Score
Crappy post, crappy fan, glass half full and rammed up your @ss type guy.

Don't you dare call my fanhood into question. That's the lowest thing people do on here. Im a diehard fan who just watched that whole game on multiple crappy bootleg feeds from the middle of nowhere in TX. That play literally sucked the life out of me and I know most here would agree. That is exactly the definition of a energy vampire move.

The other team was clearly waiting for it. The coach even said his guys were sitting on it. Anyone watching this game knew Mizz would be liking for it. I'm sorry, that's an utterly lousy and almost cowardly way to end a tough, exhausting battle. And honestly, just foolish foolish coaching.

In my honest, "crappy fan" opinion, that game was still winnable. Looks like I believe I this team more than Bobby showed just then. Reminiscent of the crap we saw a ton of last year and we hoped he had grown out of.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Have to say I was impressed with Shirreffs cool demeanor on last drive. Didn't get flustered.

Didn't see the whole game, saw some drops when I was watching. This was first time I could catch UConn on TV and was impressed with the QB and D if nothing else.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Have to say I was impressed with Shirreffs cool demeanor on last drive. Didn't get flustered.

Didn't see the whole game, saw some drops when I was watching. This was first time I could catch UConn on TV and was impressed with the QB and D if nothing else.

I wish that BS could've played like that all game.

Reaction Score
I cant remember now, but was the 5 yards we gave back to them on the false start on that last set of downs? Would that have made that run by BS a first down?

Probably however, they might not have dropped as deep on third down and 5 as they did on 3rd and 10.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Probably however, they might not have dropped as deep on third down and 5 as they did on 3rd and 10.

True but he also slide instead of going for the sticks on third down.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Only thing I can imagine is that they practiced that play with Boyle and it worked well enough in practice. Well, this ain't practice.

That belong said, this game overall still looks like progress to me. Defense is as good as it ever was. We should be able to compete in most, if not every game on the schedule. Still don't know if a bowl game is in the cards or not but I think I feel a little better about it than I did during summer practice.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the call. You play the game to win, plain and simple.

Many positives from this game. Defense is very good. Some miscues, yes,but every team has them. The Oline did not wilt under Mizzou's pressure. Sheriffs is the real deal. Very good core of receivers. Running game will improve. Like the game calling by Verducci - imaginative and bold and aggressive.

Considering we were 20+ point underdogs, damn good showing.

This is still a young team that is learning how to win. You hold a top 25 team to 9 points you are doing something right.

Reaction Score
I was initially so mad, but its time to chive on.....Look at the positives there are plenty. I listed many above. Our QB, who has 2 more years left after this year, threw for a 65% completion percentage against a top 10-15 team in the country. He didn't throw one pick or have one fumble. He made the smart decisions and even ran for 30 yards. Our guys are young. I think next year or even a few more weeks into this season we put up 17-20 pts. We only gave up 8 plays over 10 yards in the entire game. We have "buttoned up", many stupid mistakes of yesteryear. Only 6 penalties for 55 yards for both offense and defense in the entire game on the road. No egregious missed blocking assignments that led to sacks. We only gave up 3 sacks (not sure if they credited the fumbled snap as a sack, could've been 2) to a great defense.

Got to continue to tighten things up. But there are far few things to tighten. A couple of dropped passes. A little more of a push out of our line in the run game, and clearly many of the special teams aspects.

If someone told me we would lose a close 3 point game on the road to an SEC team this year because of our ST, I'd have said no worries. Great performance.

Offense could've had 19 with a made XP, A FG made by tarbutt (49) kicking and making instead of our fake fg, and hitting a 42 yarder at the end. We find a Kicking game and stop with the crap fair catch interferences and the letting the ball drop at the 12 (lemelle) and rolling to the 1. I think we are a force this year and definitely next. Lets go, everyone needs to be positive, and fill the RENT for NAVY. Would be a huge win. Need to keep the confidence up and get a W as we head to play a much tougher BYU team in Provo.

Reaction Score
Wow Bobby. Amateur hour. He is still not taking this seriously enough. Not only is it just dumb dumb dumb, if you aren't going to roll with either your offense to get you 4 yards or your kicker to make a 42 yarder, then you clearly do not believe in your team. It doesn't matter that special teams has struggled, you just can't do that crap. You have to believe in them in that scenario.

Here I am again, thinking we took the training pants off lil Bobby too soon.

ENERGY VAMPIRE!!!!

I wish we had an UNLIKE button because you aren't a fan. Your raving is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom