Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
[opens manhole. looks down in there...]

Yo mau!!! Still wringin' your hands?

[slides manhole cover back into place]

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My first awareness of major league bb was about Mantle's rookie year. So it includes a lot of really good teams. I can’t recall a single one with this consistently good pitching by all the starters. And with a batting line up that has a lot of Swiss cheese in it. All starters have only one loss meaning 10 losses are by relievers, mostly in low scoring games.

Reaction Score
Very interesting video from Jomboy giving a breakdown on how the Yankees picked up on a tell from a Detroit pitcher. Maybe Maddon was right, the Yankees are good at this ;-).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'The Yankees (40-15) lead the majors with the best 55-game record in baseball since Seattle in 2001.'

see? this is what happens when u don't obsess over waterproof golf shoes.
i mean, seriously, so what iffn ur hooves get bit wet? everrbuddy carries extra sox in their bag, and since golf is mostly played in nice and warmer weather, also so what iffn ur shoes are a bit damp?
just ask a souter or a cordwainer.
more news from the cobblers bench, hicks and gallo went like 4 for 7.

Reaction Score
Good, its about time Hicks and Gallo started hitting, their approach at the plate has looked different, Gleyber changed his approach early in the year, all guys on this team should be trying to emulate DJ and not Judge and Stanton those guys are freaks. Lets hope it continues, yes you could win it all with those guys struggling I suppose but your chances improve greatly of beating the Astros in October if those guys arent automatic outs.

sun

Reaction Score
What's with the Yankees playing 4 OF's and leaving the IF open?
It looked like a softball game.
It seemed that they did have some trouble catching up to fly balls hit out to the wall at Target Field, but should have still been catchable at the back half of the warning track.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What's with the Yankees playing 4 OF's and leaving the IF open?
It looked like a softball game.
It seemed that they did have some trouble catching up to fly balls hit out to the wall at Target Field, but should have still been catchable at the back half of the warning track.
I know. They've fallen below .750 for the season after last night's loss. I do believe it is time to panic.

sun

Reaction Score
I know. They've fallen below .750 for the season after last night's loss. I do believe it is time to panic.
Maybe they're just playing too shallow, but I've never seen 4 OF's playing MLB in my life.
Between that and the ineffective shifts, defense becomes a 3 ring circus.

Reaction Score
What a run of starting pitching. Severino follows the gems from Taillon and Cole with a gem of his own. Granted, this is not against the league's best line-up, but they are still major league hitters that are being made to look bad. I don't remember, including the '98 team, that had as much firepower as this team's starting rotation. Of course, even with King & Holmes pitching so brilliantly, I'd still rather have Mo closing things out. Folks rightly pay attention to what Judge is doing, but it's been the pitching that has brought the Yankees to this torrid start. Fingers crossed that they can stay healthy.
They've had a few. Been a minute, though. The 2002 team that did squat in the playoffs had Clemens, Wells, Mussina, Pettitte, and El Duque. That's pretty solid.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Judging by the first two games, I think the Twins are stealing signs. They aren’t being fooled by anything. Yes, I am Joe Maddon and I’m looking for work

PS: As hopeless as Gallo is in general at bat, Stanton in the outfield yesterday hurt them. Gallo or Judge I think would catch the ball Stanton didn’t that led to the first two runs. He has no speed.

Reaction Score
Im still not gonna give this team too much credit, but record in baseball doesn't put you above criticism. Its about the playoffs, Cole doesn't step up as an ace should, gives up 3 hrs to the first 3 batters lol.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Im still not gonna give this team too much credit, but record in baseball doesn't put you above criticism. Its about the playoffs, Cole doesn't step up as an ace should, gives up 3 hrs to the first 3 batters lol.
Read my post. Partly tongue in cheek. The Twins are not being fooled.

Reaction Score
Read my post. Partly tongue in cheek. The Twins are not being fooled.
Yes and agreed, didn’t have a good feeling going into Minnesota as it was. You do fear the starters hitting a dry spell through the rotation. Taillon and Cortes at least battled through their starts, Cole did the opposite of what an ace does, yes their gonna lose some series but I don’t trust Cole in a big game against good teams.

Team doesn’t respond well when they get punched in the mouth. Yes they will win a lot of games but still don’t trust them in a series with the Astros, Rays, Jays and yes even the Red Sox.

Reaction Score
Which was more surprising, Cole getting taken deep five times or Hicks & Gallo combining for six RBIs and fueling the improbable comeback? Great win. Wish they could play Minnesota all the time.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not just the Yankees, but I don’t see why the home team in an extra inning game doesn’t routinely try to use the first batter to bunt the stupid ghost runner to 3rd if the game is tied. Forces the infield in, the out field in, can score on a wild pitch or passed ball. For the Yankees, as impressive as the record is, they remain a lousy clutch hitting team. Relying on these guys to get a hit get a guy in from 2nd is not their strong suit. Anyway, the ghost runner is the most bush league thing MLB has experimented with.

Reaction Score
Thanks to Cole the other night and the lineup last night Holmes, King, Castro, and Peralta are unavailable tonight, gonna need a complete game from Monty, he was pulled early from his last 2 starts so should have plenty in the tank.

Reaction Score
I'm packing my raincoat and rain pants for my first Yankees game of the season! I'll be going on a school trip so fingers crossed the rain waits til later today...

Later this summer, will also plan to see a Hudson Valley Renegades game too. I've been to Scranton, Trenton (RIP), but that would be my first A-affiliate game. Part of me enjoys minor league games sometimes more than MLB games.

Also, with the Rangers eliminated I'm ready for sole focus on baseball at least until September.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, the Cubs made for a tasty snack, but the rest of this month's schedule will be a bit more challenging. Six games with Tampa, five with Houston and three with Toronto. Should be a real test of where this team stacks up against other playoff-caliber teams.

Reaction Score
1/3 of the way through and @CliffySpliffy is ready to feed me a well deserved crow dinner which I will accept with a smile if they keep this up. A lineup with 3-4 guys .220 or under and they find 18 runs, crazy. Glad they have a big lead hope they keep it up. A little concerned with the whiplash Cole took and is it possible they’re catching up to Nasty Nestor?

Crazy good start. I hammer Cashman but will give him a thumbs up for taking a chance on Carpenter, maybe he keeps up his comeback it seems he really likes being a Yankee!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@ClifSpliffy

Swipe Up Black Man GIF by Black Prez

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Crazy good start. I hammer Cashman but will give him a thumbs up for taking a chance on Carpenter, maybe he keeps up his comeback it seems he really likes being a Yankee!
I think it's the 1970's adult film moustache that's giving Carpenter his super powers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom