The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | Page 43 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
good move, cash.

It was 5.75 in 18 outings with Tulsa, 16 of them starts, then 2.13 over seven starts with Somerset. He capped his season with two-run, five-inning start during the Patriots’ postseason run to an Eastern League championship.

“I’m really excited about that because since I became a pitcher, Gerrit’s been my favorite player to watch because the elite-ride fastball, hard-breaking ball … the same stuff I have. After I realized that I had vertical break on my fastball and a hard breaking ball, I saw Cole pitching in the World Series with the Astros and it’s basically the same movement profile. So I started studying how he pitches and what sequences he’s throwing. I started watching him a lot. His stuff is so electric that it’s fun to watch.”

Do they made good meals?
“Oh, yeah. The cranes especially. They’re really good. They’re called the ribeye of the sky.”

Beeter, 24, carried 3.94 GPA as a Mechanical Engineering major at Texas Tech
Yankees’ Clayton Beeter is an Astros-hating, strikeout-throwing machine courtesy of Joey Gallo trade

luv this guy. smart, very smart.

Reaction Score
Agree with you about Donaldson, Cabrera, and especially Hicks. Disagree strongly if you’re including Harrison Bader, Jose Trevino, DJ LeMahieu, Stanton, Judge and Torres in that “Awful baseball team”. What was awful last season was the bull pen and starting rotation. That’s why they didn’t have a prayer in the playoffs. I’ll also say that RJ Cole is the most overrated pitcher in baseball.
Well let's see. Bader is a career .247 hitter with an OBP of .310. Don't get me wrong he's an improvement on Hicks especially on D, but he's only a decent offensive player. I'm good with the trade off on D if you get a hitter for LF. Trevino, like him had a great start but not at all a good finish. Career .250 hitter but OBP was a career best .283 last year - yikes. Stanton, we can only hope the .211 year was not the begining of his demise right? I mean he struck out 33% of the time and looked clueless quite often. I like him but is he done? Lemahieu is a real good hitter, can he stay healthy he is a key and I think I said that in my post. Torres is trade bait, hopefully he brings something to us this year I'm hearing rumors of interest. One can only hope either they get something or he begins to do whatever he was doing 4 years ago when he had that career year. Since then really nothing and another crappy OBP guy, which is the type of players Cashman loves to lose with.

We didn't have a prayer in the playoffs because our team is built to beat crappy pitchers with long ball come playoff time easy outs. The bullpen suffered its biggest loss with the King injury an absolute killer!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Agree with you about Donaldson, Cabrera, and especially Hicks. Disagree strongly if you’re including Harrison Bader, Jose Trevino, DJ LeMahieu, Stanton, Judge and Torres in that “Awful baseball team”. What was awful last season was the bull pen and starting rotation. That’s why they didn’t have a prayer in the playoffs. I’ll also say that RJ Cole is the most overrated pitcher in baseball.
To be fair, nobody ever compared him to Scott Burrell.

Reaction Score
I’m not too worried about the rotation or the pen. I think Rodon is good for Cole, Cole did step up in the playoffs after that debacle in Fenway. The pen will sort itself out have 4 potential closers in Holmes, Wandy, Lasagna and King.

The lineup is what worries me too many automatic strikeouts.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well let's see. Bader is a career .247 hitter with an OBP of .310. Don't get me wrong he's an improvement on Hicks especially on D, but he's only a decent offensive player. I'm good with the trade off on D if you get a hitter for LF. Trevino, like him had a great start but not at all a good finish. Career .250 hitter but OBP was a career best .283 last year - yikes. Stanton, we can only hope the .211 year was not the begining of his demise right? I mean he struck out 33% of the time and looked clueless quite often. I like him but is he done? Lemahieu is a real good hitter, can he stay healthy he is a key and I think I said that in my post. Torres is trade bait, hopefully he brings something to us this year I'm hearing rumors of interest. One can only hope either they get something or he begins to do whatever he was doing 4 years ago when he had that career year. Since then really nothing and another crappy OBP guy, which is the type of players Cashman loves to lose with.

We didn't have a prayer in the playoffs because our team is built to beat crappy pitchers with long ball come playoff time easy outs. The bullpen suffered its biggest loss with the King injury an absolute killer!
Yankees probably could've worked a deal for Bryan Reynolds if they had any pitching left in the system.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This is the article that triggered my post...I have seen similar rankings on The Athletic.

They rank the Yankees offseason as third...

1672255378191.png

Reaction Score

Well let’s see. Um….I never said the Yankees had a great team, all I said was they had some good players who were saddled with a crappy pitching staff. I took exception to your prior post just lumping everyone together and calling them “an awful baseball team”, and then you couldn’t wait to pile on. Players like Bader (who had some very timely hits, stolen bases, and great fielding plays), Stanton (who had several walk off and timely hits and HR’s this past season despite some leg issues) who was an All-Star, Torres, and Trevino (also an All-Star) are not awful players.

The flip side was the pitching staff, RJ Cole who gave up a HR seems like for every 4 or 5 innings, and he was their best starter. Agree 100% on King though, but don’t forget about Chad Green.

Reaction Score
Well let’s see. Um….I never said the Yankees had a great team, all I said was they had some good players who were saddled with a crappy pitching staff. I took exception to your prior post just lumping everyone together and calling them “an awful baseball team”, and then you couldn’t wait to pile on. Players like Bader (who had some very timely hits, stolen bases, and great fielding plays), Stanton (who had several walk off and timely hits and HR’s this past season despite some leg issues) who was an All-Star, Torres, and Trevino (also an All-Star) are not awful players.

The flip side was the pitching staff, RJ Cole who gave up a HR seems like for every 4 or 5 innings, and he was their best starter. Agree 100% on King though, but don’t forget about Chad Green.

I didn't say an awful player, but when you do lump a bunch of guys who's OBP is .300 or less and BA's are .210-.250 is that a good team? One guy who hit .300 that's it, one who was close even. I'm not sure you noticed they can't win a playoff series that means anything and this past year it wasn't the pitching staff, they kept them in games. They couldn't hit, and why? Because the teams that make the playoffs have good pitching and our players can't hit good pitching. Heck our best player crapped himself in the playoffs and I know he's a good player. Rizzo is ok, still .230 but in terms of team a guy you want on the roster. Torres, not a clutch hitter at all the furthest thing from it and he's dropping year to year. Need Lemahiue badly to return to himself, and hopefully Stanton has something in the tank still.

Hey maybe "awful" is rough, but whatever it is it's the same ol pattern for this team, no improvement. The worst signing was Cashman, period!

Reaction Score
I didn't say an awful player, but when you do lump a bunch of guys who's OBP is .300 or less and BA's are .210-.250 is that a good team? One guy who hit .300 that's it, one who was close even. I'm not sure you noticed they can't win a playoff series that means anything and this past year it wasn't the pitching staff, they kept them in games. They couldn't hit, and why? Because the teams that make the playoffs have good pitching and our players can't hit good pitching. Heck our best player crapped himself in the playoffs and I know he's a good player. Rizzo is ok, still .230 but in terms of team a guy you want on the roster. Torres, not a clutch hitter at all the furthest thing from it and he's dropping year to year. Need Lemahiue badly to return to himself, and hopefully Stanton has something in the tank still.

Hey maybe "awful" is rough, but whatever it is it's the same ol pattern for this team, no improvement. The worst signing was Cashman, period!
I don’t remember exactly who pointed it out, because it was several talking heads that said the same thing, but the general message was that the Yankees, from July on, set a some kind of record at losing games that they led in or even had a shutout going into the 6th inning. They just didn’t have the pitching to hold a lead, no Chad Green, no Michael King, and for the most part no starting pitchers with the stamina to go beyond 6 innings, or if they did have the stamina Boone yanked them anyway. I never liked Boone’s strategy of a starter, a mid reliever, and a closer. It was a recipe to have a lot of tired arms going into mid August. The Yankees need new pitching coaches and batting coaches, and maybe a new manager who isn’t afraid of Cashman. Yankee highlights this year were Chapman throwing 3 or 4 wild pitches in a row, and a team not known for HR’s hitting 4 or 5 HR’s in a row off of 2 or 3 Yankee pitchers.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember exactly who pointed it out, because it was several talking heads that said the same thing, but the general message was that the Yankees, from July on, set a some kind of record at losing games that they led in or even had a shutout going into the 6th inning. They just didn’t have the pitching to hold a lead, no Chad Green, no Michael King, and for the most part no starting pitchers with the stamina to go beyond 6 innings, or if they did have the stamina Boone yanked them anyway. I never liked Boone’s strategy of a starter, a mid reliever, and a closer. It was a recipe to have a lot of tired arms going into mid August. The Yankees need new pitching coaches and batting coaches, and maybe a new manager who isn’t afraid of Cashman. Yankee highlights this year were Chapman throwing 3 or 4 wild pitches in a row, and a team not known for HR’s hitting 4 or 5 HR’s in a row off of 2 or 3 Yankee pitchers.
Definitely the bullpen wasn’t the same. But neither was that magical hitting that led them to a 61-23 start. The reality is they have too many .220 guys who don’t get on base. Their offense is painful to watch period, there’s no denying that either. And if the likes of Donaldson and Hicks are any part of it you’re just not that good.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yankees quietly add Omar Minaya and Brian Sabean to their front office.

Why do I love this? Two old school non-analytics guys to balance the too analytical Cashman. Smart programs need a variety of prospectives to help determine what’s best moving forward.
Agree. Interesting move. I wonder who made the decision? Steinbrenner or Cashman?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I love the Sabean move. I wanted the Yankees to bring hom back home a decade and a half ago.

Minaya has a pretty solid resume as well and it feels good that there must be in house opponents to a nine man lineup of 40 HRs, 220 strikeouts and. 225 batting averages

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agree. Interesting move. I wonder who made the decision? Steinbrenner or Cashman?
Considering the timing I'd wager that Cashman had to agree to something like this to get his new contract

Reaction Score
Lol at all the old people blaming the boogeyman of analytics for the Yankees' failures. Because successful teams like the Astros don't use analytics, right? Just ask Jeff Bagwell.

Reaction Score
Lol at all the old people blaming the boogeyman of analytics for the Yankees' failures. Because successful teams like the Astros don't use analytics, right? Just ask Jeff Bagwell.

Whatever analytics that Cashman uses are the reason for their failure. I’m old and I blame him and why wouldn’t I? They end up with 6 guys in the lineup hitting .230 and less but they expect to score runs against good pitching? No need to analyze crap, you won’t win a series with that lineup. And he hasn’t changed a thing hopefully Sabean and Minaya help him find some hitters.

Reaction Score
Looks like Cameron Maybin won't be back calling Yankee games next season. Can't say I'm too upset about it as I never felt he brought a lot of value to the broadcast. Interestingly, I saw him on one of the MLB Network's studio shows and he was excellent. Maybe he'll stick to that. Article also says that YES is planning on keeping Carlos Beltran in the studio which I think is the best plan. I have a lot of respect for Beltran, but he was fairly unlistenable in the booth.

Reaction Score
Well that stinks.

That makes Cole, Rodon, Cortes, Severino and German as the likely starting lineup with Schmidt as possibility too.

Bottom line, some MLB capable starting depth is needed. Open to giving Pineda or Minor a minor-league deal w/ camp invite.

Reaction Score
Well that stinks.

That makes Cole, Rodon, Cortes, Severino and German as the likely starting lineup with Schmidt as possibility too.

Bottom line, some MLB capable starting depth is needed. Open to giving Pineda or Minor a minor-league deal w/ camp invite.

I was kind of hoping we’d see the real Montas which would’ve been huge for the coming season. Oh well maybe if he gets healthy eventually he will help!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
somebody wake up dove. it's only a few weeks till we need an 'official 2023' thread thing.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Was going to start a 2023 thread but don’t know the unwritten rules.

Anyway, Montas to have shoulder surgery and could be out all year. Sick trade Brian…

Reaction Score
Hearing he could be back 2nd half of the season according to Cashman which means he’s out for the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom