The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | Page 34 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So...I have been a skeptic this year. And I thought they would cave to Cleveland. They didn't. I was wrong.

This team is showing some grit. They collapsed in August and recovered in September. They collapsed in game 3 yet pulled out the series.

I find it hard to see them beating Houston, but before we move on we have to give credit to Nestor. He came out of nowhere to be the heart and soul of this team. He doesn't have the stuff of David Wells, but he has the heart.

Reaction Score
They beat Cleveland, well done but beat Houston or it’s still another year of failure. Guardians mirror the Yanks minus the power, decent pitching and lots of crappy hitters in the lineup.

The way the management found a way to throw IKF under the bus is pitiful. Cabrera was not a better defensive option and he proved it. And it was absolutely awful to bring in Gonzalez when Hicks got hurt rather than IKF to SS and Cabrera to LF. And quite honestly the roster was awful too. To have Gonzalez, Hicks and Locastro all sub .200 guys on the roster is plain awful. Knowing there was an idea they may lose faith in IKF not having Peraza on that roster rather than one of those is just telling of this management.

Again crow will be welcome but I won’t be eating it, lucky to win one against the Astros. 27 hits in 46 innings versus a mediocre staff compared to what’s coming.

Go Yanks!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
No need to complain out Hicks, he's done for what ever games are left.

Cashman and Boone are the problem. Cashman built this team. His trades towards the deadline were a disaster, except for Bader. The bullpen is a disaster. Injuries have not helped but neither did Cashman.

Boone has no feel for the game. The Holmes "emergency use" was a joke. There is a reason former catchers make the best managers. His line ups - no words to describe them. Of course it doesn't help to have only 3 to 4 hitters over .250 for the season.

I hope the Yanks can make it respectable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In response to @Hey Adrien! above, there used to be a great vid clip of a drunken Cole singing the praises of teammate Edinson Volquez in 2014 when Cole was used in the final regular season game in a futile attempt to win the NL Central and Volquez was named the Wild Card game starter. It was a fabulous drunken screed, but somehow it got disappeared from the internets.

So instead I'm simply going to post Cole sitting alone in the dugout doing his best Jim Boeheim impression.

Reaction Score
No need to complain out Hicks, he's done for what ever games are left.

Cashman and Boone are the problem. Cashman built this team. His trades towards the deadline were a disaster, except for Bader. The bullpen is a disaster. Injuries have not helped but neither did Cashman.

Boone has no feel for the game. The Holmes "emergency use" was a joke. There is a reason former catchers make the best managers. His line ups - no words to describe them. Of course it doesn't help to have only 3 to 4 hitters over .250 for the season.

I hope the Yanks can make it respectable.
Cashman has certainly made some mistakes. But if you're gonna kill the guy over Frankie Montaz, you need to acknowledge that three of the guys he traded for (Bader, Holmes, Peralta) all made significant contributions towards winning the ALDS. The Bader & Peralta trades in particular were all initially met with derision but look better now with some distance.

Reaction Score
Cashman has certainly made some mistakes. But if you're gonna kill the guy over Frankie Montaz, you need to acknowledge that three of the guys he traded for (Bader, Holmes, Peralta) all made significant contributions towards winning the ALDS. The Bader & Peralta trades in particular were all initially met with derision but look better now with some distance.

I wouldn’t even kill him for Montas I mean the guy underachieved he should’ve been better than that. Castillo this year Wheeler last he didn’t make us strong enough 1-3 for the playoffs and series. The Hicks contact was a monstrous mistake and he had to make the Bader trade because of it. Needed to get a CFer who is good enough to put Judge in RF. He lost a solid starter doing it but it needed to be done because of his own inadequacies. He’s had some decent moves but his whiffs and too much staying pat has been horrible. He needs to go!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the results are in!
the results are in!
2022 AL Division Series - New York Yankees over Cleveland Guardians (3-2) | Baseball-Reference.com

yanks whiffed 53 times! no-names only 45!
yanks had only 28 hits, no names had 44!
yanks only batted .180, no names .250!

on the udder hand .... bombers had 9 dingers, no names only 3!
on the udder hand ... bombers pitched to a 2.70 era, no names 3.89!

how'd we do?

and now, some other results from the formerly dead, according to many brilliant observations here:
gstant- batted .125, with 2 blasts and 6 ribbys!
joshy- .400 obp! rizzy .430!

and now, for the money shot:
gerrit The Magnificent - 13 innings, 16 strikeouts, 2.03 era, 2-0.

so far, this season is a success. big fun for normal fans!
iffn they win the next one, then an unqualified success!
iffn they win the one after next, then a great success!

kinda neat to think that it's possible for us fans to be watching as many as 14 moar games starting on october 19th!
priceless.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and now, a word from our sponsors. this journey is brought to you by
fun!
'we got some places to see,
jump in, ain't no sin, take a ride in our ma-she-een!'

city traffic movin waaaaay too slow, drop the pedal and go.
go?
go!
we goin ridin on the freeway of love, and youse grumpystilskins can't stop that!

Reaction Score
What do they do here? Put Carpenter in left for the games in Houston and Peraza at short with Cabrera in left for games in the Bronx. That seems to make the most sense, get Carpie's bat going but I kind of just want Peraza at short for all the games. I just wish management would stop with all their computer nonsense trying to prove IKF is a good shortstop, we all have eyes.

Reaction Score
Wow, nice bats in the lineup but this makes us really bad defensively and really slow. I'll never understand the obsession with trying to force IKF at short.

20221019_1623221.jpg

Reaction Score
Wow, nice bats in the lineup but this makes us really bad defensively and really slow. I'll never understand the obsession with trying to force IKF at short.
Thanks to Donaldson contract they won’t play IKF at 3rd his natural position. Cabrera or Peraza should be at SS.

Reaction Score
frankie is on the squad.
Yankees announce ALCS roster vs. Astros: Frankie Montas, Oswald Peraza, Marwin Gonzalez, Ron Marinaccio decisions

didn't see that coming. interesting, very interesting.

Montas has a great record and an under 3 ERA vs. the Astros so maybe it’s analytics? Peraza good move, short bench. IKF snubbed for a kid who didnt play short well last night and only had 2 hits in the series. He’s not deserving of that but that’s these guys way of thinking.

Never know I guess. :eek:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
They would never beat Houston...so it's hard to care about this series. Verlander would strike out 15 and pitch a complete game shutout.

This team is...and has been deeply flawed all year.
Ok...so he only pitched 6 innings and got 11 strikeouts.

Taillon did better than I thought he would. Schmidt got hit again.

Hopefully they get some clutch hits the last few innings...but I'm not holding my breath.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ok...so he only pitched 6 innings and got 11 strikeouts.

Taillon did better than I thought he would. Schmidt got hit again.

Hopefully they get some clutch hits the last few innings...but I'm not holding my breath.
They ended up with 17 strikeouts. 17!

At least they scored two runs.

Reaction Score
They ended up with 17 strikeouts. 17!

At least they scored two runs.

Verlander was toying with them in the last few innings, they were like candy for him. That’s the offensive juggernaut that Cashman has put together over the years. Good thing he signed Donaldson he was so overmatched every AB it was laughable. Your 5th hitter with no shot to drive in any runs is never good!

Hope they can change the offense tonight!

Reaction Score
Verlander was toying with them in the last few innings, they were like candy for him. That’s the offensive juggernaut that Cashman has put together over the years. Good thing he signed Donaldson he was so overmatched every AB it was laughable. Your 5th hitter with no shot to drive in any runs is never good!

Hope they can change the offense tonight!
I would move IKF to 3rd, Peraza SS, Cabrera LF.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Ugh…winnable game.

Take Taillon out after 67 pitches??

Seventeen (17) strikeouts…

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen Donaldson actually do something productive at the plate. He stinks.

Love Carp but he has no business being in the lineup. He’s lost at the plate. It’s not his fault, he’s working his way back from injury but YOU DON’T HAVE PLAYERS WORKING THEIR WAY BACK PLAYING IN THE ALCS!

I forgot Montas is even on the team he’s been out so long…but again, not really the time to throw him out there to get him some work and hope for the best.

I hope I eat a few heavy scoops of crow on all of this when all is said and done but this game was infuriating on many levels.

Reaction Score
Ugh…winnable game.

Take Taillon out after 67 pitches??

Seventeen (17) strikeouts…

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen Donaldson actually do something productive at the plate. He stinks.

Love Carp but he has no business being in the lineup. He’s lost at the plate. It’s not his fault, he’s working his way back from injury but YOU DON’T HAVE PLAYERS WORKING THEIR WAY BACK PLAYING IN THE ALCS!

I forgot Montas is even on the team he’s been out so long…but again, not really the time to throw him out there to get him some work and hope for the best.

I hope I eat a few heavy scoops of crow on all of this when all is said and done but this game was infuriating on many levels.
The people who run the team treated game 1 like a throwaway game, same way they treated game 3 of the Guardians series.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
According to Statcast, the only park Judge’s long fly ball would have been out of last night is Yankee Stadium. Boone said the roof being open “killed us”. Wasn’t the 13 strikeouts that killed us, it was the roof being open.

I haven’t been this frustrated watching a team play since the later Ollie years when we’d routinely be losing by 20 at halftime…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom