The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021

Reaction Score
I gotta give it to Gio going on a full sprint to catch that foul ball, unfortunately looks like he hurt himself, still stayed in the game. It was a Jeteresque play, the difference is Jeter wouldve made sure he landed on his ass to absorb the fall instead of rolling his ankle.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yep. What we thought. This team isn't built to win. As I predicted in the beginning of the season...90 to 95 wins and a quick exit in the playoffs.

Just another disappointing year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To Cashman - "You keep doing things the same way, you are going to get the same results."

Time for change.

Reaction Score
The way the offense is built, there are too many players who do not regularly put the bat on the ball. That must change for next year.

SO% leaders on Yankees:
Gallo - 34.6% - 1st in MLB
Voit - 30.7% - 8th in MLB (if qualified)
Sanchez - 27.5% - 18th in MLB (if qualified)
Stanton - 27.1% - 20th in MLB
Judge - 25% - 28th in MLB
Torres - 20.2% - 73rd in MLB

That's insane.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The way the offense is built, there are too many players who do not regularly put the bat on the ball. That must change for next year.

SO% leaders on Yankees:
Gallo - 34.6% - 1st in MLB
Voit - 30.7% - 8th in MLB (if qualified)
Sanchez - 27.5% - 18th in MLB (if qualified)
Stanton - 27.1% - 20th in MLB
Judge - 25% - 28th in MLB
Torres - 20.2% - 73rd in MLB

That's insane.
The really insane part is that they traded to add the highest strikeout guy knowing they had an issue putting the ball in play.

Reaction Score
The really insane part is that they traded to add the highest strikeout guy knowing they had an issue putting the ball in play.
Odor had more So than hits in 2021 (100K's v 65 hits) and has been that way since 2017 with 2019 being a highlight reel of making wind (178 K's to 107 hits). Yeah, I get he's a left handed bat, but that has no value when he K's more than he puts the ball in play striking out nearly 1/3 of his at-bats. That's a summary of the issues with the Yanks line-up. They are obsessed with hitting HR's to the short Right Field porch. Having 2 or 3 big bats in the line-up is OK and they have that with Judge and Stanton. The rest, even Voit, are streaky HR or K guys. The need to generate more base runner, more runs, consistently because there will be nights like last night where the HR's are not coming.

I so miss the Yank team of the late '90's. I think Bernie lead that World Series team with 25 home runs. The team had just under 1,000 total K's versus just under 1,600 hits and and 5,600 at-bats (17%), still high in my opinion, but night and day compared to now. More K's than hits used to get one sent to the street to get a real job. Today, millions of dollars to fail A LOT.

And don't get me started about Cole, a good pitcher, but has issues with big games, especially big games in Boston (he has a 5.62 ERA at Fenway). $36 Million a year is a lot of money for a pitcher who is the staff's Ace, sometimes.

From the top down, the Yankees need to think about what they want in a team. They Rays are doing well with total team salary (active and IR) of $62 Million. Not saying the Yanks should fully emulate that model (though I would kill for their player development system), but they have to get smarter. Is Cashman and Boone the right gusy to do that? I don't know at this point.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Oh...and when does cliff come here and tell us all is good?
right here. no complaints, fun roller coaster of a season.
i particularly enjoyed the subtle, but noticeable change in attitude by yankee universe aboot giancarlo , now realizing that he delivers, and is heading into the hall someday. other than that, there hasn't been any member of the whole show that makes me mad.
i'd roll out the exact same squad, which prolly won't be the case, next year, and take my chances.
thank you, New York Yankees.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Odor had more So than hits in 2021 (100K's v 65 hits) and has been that way since 2017 with 2019 being a highlight reel of making wind (178 K's to 107 hits). Yeah, I get he's a left handed bat, but that has no value when he K's more than he puts the ball in play striking out nearly 1/3 of his at-bats. That's a summary of the issues with the Yanks line-up. They are obsessed with hitting HR's to the short Right Field porch. Having 2 or 3 big bats in the line-up is OK and they have that with Judge and Stanton. The rest, even Voit, are streaky HR or K guys. The need to generate more base runner, more runs, consistently because there will be nights like last night where the HR's are not coming.

I so miss the Yank team of the late '90's. I think Bernie lead that World Series team with 25 home runs. The team had just under 1,000 total K's versus just under 1,600 hits and and 5,600 at-bats (17%), still high in my opinion, but night and day compared to now. More K's than hits used to get one sent to the street to get a real job. Today, millions of dollars to fail A LOT.

And don't get me started about Cole, a good pitcher, but has issues with big games, especially big games in Boston (he has a 5.62 ERA at Fenway). $36 Million a year is a lot of money for a pitcher who is the staff's Ace, sometimes.

From the top down, the Yankees need to think about what they want in a team. They Rays are doing well with total team salary (active and IR) of $62 Million. Not saying the Yanks should fully emulate that model (though I would kill for their player development system), but they have to get smarter. Is Cashman and Boone the right gusy to do that? I don't know at this point.
'And don't get me started about Cole, a good pitcher, but has issues with big games, especially big games in Boston (he has a 5.62 ERA at Fenway). $36 Million a year is a lot of money for a pitcher who is the staff's Ace, sometimes.'

until yesterday, the 'biggest' game of the year was the first one against the sox last week, where 'in the conversation for cy young' cole stood, and delivered. i think that he's been dealing with a bad wheel for a few weeks now.
117-63, 1700 ko's. this guy is great. i never understood folks jibberjabbering aboot an athlete's pay. it ain't my money.
cf 'giancarlo stanton.'
get back to me when the rays actually win the series. then, i'll clap for them. winning ain't everything, it's the only thing. my only expectation each and every season is that they make the playoffs. they did again this year, in a division that had four 90 win teams.
pitchers and catchers in like 16 or so weeks. cool.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one moar. actually, two moar, post season;
gerritt, 8-5, 2.93, 111 ko's in 86 innings.
giancarlo, 18 games, 9 hr's, .297/.373, 47 tb in 64 abs, 1.108 ops.
imma big fan cuz, u know, math is our friend.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Is he playing hurt? I hope so. Because Cole will never be better than he is right now and he is there for another 7 years.

I love what Tampa Bay has done. It must be fun to be a fan of a team that overachieves...even with a constant turnover of the roster. They have completely figured out how to develop players.

Reaction Score
Is he playing hurt? I hope so. Because Cole will never be better than he is right now and he is there for another 7 years.

I love what Tampa Bay has done. It must be fun to be a fan of a team that overachieves...even with a constant turnover of the roster. They have completely figured out how to develop players.
All ten of them agree.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Yes, Tampa has figured out how to win on a low budget. I'm not sure the continuous roster turnover is a big hit with fans though. Fans like to see stars on their teams, and if the stars are constantly being released after 4-5 years, I think it takes away from the fan experience. Why buy a jersey?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Yes, Tampa has figured out how to win on a low budget. I'm not sure the continuous roster turnover is a big hit with fans though. Fans like to see stars on their teams, and if the stars are constantly being released after 4-5 years, I think it takes away from the fan experience. Why buy a jersey?
Do people buy UConn jerseys? Players only stay in school for 4 or 5 years.

I understand what you are saying...but it's not like turning over the roster has hurt them. They are strong every year. I think as long as they are winning, I would be ok with this strategy. And maybe that's why they are consistently good...they always have young guys...that are hungry to prove themselves... physically more fit.

You have to have an amazing farm system to do this. And they do.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Do people buy UConn jerseys? Players only stay in school for 4 or 5 years.
I get your point, but college is different from pros. Whatever your alma mater, most likely you're always a fan, for life. That's less the case with professional leagues. Much more common to switch alliances, although certainly there are many who do stay with a team after they move away.

I'm in Pittsburgh, many people here still want Cutch to return to the Pirates, even though he's close to replacement levels these days.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I get your point, but college is different from pros. Whatever your alma mater, most likely you're always a fan, for life. That's less the case with professional leagues. Much more common to switch alliances, although certainly there are many who do stay with a team after they move away.

I'm in Pittsburgh, many people here still want Cutch to return to the Pirates, even though he's close to replacement levels these days.
I always thought it was odd that people could switch allegiances when they move. I left CT in 1995 and I am still a big Yankees and Jets fan. I tried to like Atlanta teams when I lived there for 24 years and it didn't take. I have been in California full time for two years and while I will watch the Rams and Chargers...my heart is still with the Jets... unfortunately...lol.

Reaction Score
Most of the fans at a Tampa game wear eitehr Yankees or Red Sox caps...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cashman has a boh-ner for Gallo. Wasn't he after him last year?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Cashman has a boh-ner for Gallo. Wasn't he after him last year?
I think so.

Since Gallo is a lefty...and he can take advantage of the short porch in right...and he is decent in the field...it isn't crazy to think he makes sense on the Yankees. But...that's only if you ignore the rest of the all or nothing hitters on the team.

The team is too easy for good teams to pitch to.

Reaction Score

This is spot on, the media especially local media defense of this team is sickening.

Reaction Score
right here. no complaints, fun roller coaster of a season.
i particularly enjoyed the subtle, but noticeable change in attitude by yankee universe aboot giancarlo , now realizing that he delivers, and is heading into the hall someday. other than that, there hasn't been any member of the whole show that makes me mad.
i'd roll out the exact same squad, which prolly won't be the case, next year, and take my chances.
thank you, New York Yankees.

Roll out the same squad? Lol hope you’re kidding!

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Roll out the same squad? Lol hope you’re kidding!
Yeah...that makes total sense...they were such a joy to watch this year...

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom