The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I feel like I should be angrier that they were just swept by the red Sox...but I am not surprised it happened.

This team is not good...and the best part of the team...Cole and Chapman...are now playing as crappy as the rest of the team.

They look like a .500 ballclub. And with those salaries and talent, that isn't acceptable.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
'A bad week here...'
tampa just lost 6 in a row, so i guess that they should quit now, according to this logic. cheese and crackers man, nothing other than a season-ending injury to a star player or two will change the reality that many teams will still be in the hunt many months from now. oh, and also true, the yanks pen will still be the envy for all of them. garuntee. in the meantime, i eagerly await the return of luke, looie, and that klubot guy.
We went from a 28% chance to win the division to a 12% chance to win the division with that hideous week. Now chasing 3 other teams as we hit July.

So yeah, last week was critical and all but sunk our hopes of anything other than a wildcard spot (playoff odds went from 60% to 40%).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Could the all righty lineup really be that much of an issue?

Pitching-wise, they had nothing. I didn't think Cole relied on sticky stuff. Maybe he does.

Reaction Score
Just wow. Any thoughts on why he is so awful all of a sudden?
I don’t think it’s all of a sudden. He did the same thing several weeks ago against Detroit or Tampa Bay. Gave up a big lead in the 8th or 9th inning by gifting some walks and home runs. He sucks. I falt Boone too for bringing him in, Louisiga was pitching well in the 8th inning, no need to bring in a shaky Chapman.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s all of a sudden. He did the same thing several weeks ago against Detroit or Tampa Bay. Gave up a big lead in the 8th or 9th inning by gifting some walks and home runs. He sucks. I falt Boone too for bringing him in, Louisiga was pitching well in the 8th inning, no need to bring in a shaky Chapman.
my question was why? What's wrong with him? Why did he go from arguably the most unhittable pitcher in baseball...to a total disaster?

I have to think he is either hurt...or he is trying to not doctor the baseball. Or both.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
my question was why? What's wrong with him? Why did he go from arguably the most unhittable pitcher in baseball...to a total disaster?

I have to think he is either hurt...or he is trying to not doctor the baseball. Or both.
I never really paid attention to him in Cincy other than knowing he threw gas, but I always got the sense that he was prone to living on the edge in save situations but had 104mph in his pocket at all times to bail him out.

Maybe part of it is that hitters are now used to seeing 99-100mph out of every reliever these days? I don’t know, but his last several outings have been tough to watch.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I cannot believe they scored 7 in the first and ended up losing the game. Pathetic.

Reaction Score

Nothing wrong with him, he just has never had any movement on his fastball. He throws laser beams, so if a good hitter guesses right, the ball is in the bleachers. He needs to develop a cut fastball or his stint in the majors will be a short one. Yankees need a good pitching coach like Mel Stottlemyre was for the Yanks. Mel was instrumental in improving the pitching staff during their glory years.

Last edited:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I cannot believe they scored 7 in the first and ended up losing the game. Pathetic.
Defeat snatched from the jaws of Victory.

Reaction Score
He's 33 and in his 11th season.
Meant to say remaining stint as a Yankee. If he keeps this up he will not be in a Yankee uniform next year. If he had a decent cutter he’d be up there with Mariano. Mariano should stop making commercials and step in as a pitching coach, and hopefully his coaching skills will be as great as his pitching skills were.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah Chapman looks awful no doubt suddenly. He was tremendous early on because his location was really good and he set up his curve ball to freeze hitters with strikes. Now he's having trouble throwing strikes especially the deuce so he's now setting himself up for failure, and it's working.

But once again a crappy hitting team. Needed Othani to walk the park for 7 runs then score 1 the rest of the way just horrid offensive team. Yeah they scored 11 against them the night before against crappy pitching on what, 8 hits? And a real nice job not having Judge and Urshela in the lineup in a game every who liked baseball wanted to watch. Amazing Cash and Boone are still here, truly unbelievable.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah Chapman looks awful no doubt suddenly. He was tremendous early on because his location was really good and he set up his curve ball to freeze hitters with strikes. Now he's having trouble throwing strikes especially the deuce so he's now setting himself up for failure, and it's working.

What's the RPM on his hammer before and after the "sticky stuff" crackdown?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

But once again a crappy hitting team. Needed Othani to walk the park for 7 runs then score 1 the rest of the way just horrid offensive team. Yeah they scored 11 against them the night before against crappy pitching on what, 8 hits? And a real nice job not having Judge and Urshela in the lineup in a game every who liked baseball wanted to watch. Amazing Cash and Boone are still here, truly unbelievable.
So are you thinking it's mental? That makes sense...and maybe add in he had to change his grip due to the sticky crackdown...and he probably has lost confidence in his pitch placement.

What a mess....on a messy team.

Reaction Score

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last night was so bad they are postponing today's game because of the threat of raindrops.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Another crappy start by Cole. He is obviously struggling to pitch without the sticky stuff. I can understand why pitchers are frustrated with a midseason change like this.

Baseball is just awful right now. I am sure my opinions are influenced by how bad the Yankees are playing....but I am getting to the "don't care" phase.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd put the odds of Kevin Cash actually putting Chapman into the game as roughly zero, give or take zero.

Having a hard time believing players/MLB selected him. AL had to take Soto as Tigers lone rep, but choosing Loiasiga would've been very defensible. He's right there with the other three snubs, Barlow, Rogers and Clase.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Another crappy start by Cole. He is obviously struggling to pitch without the sticky stuff. I can understand why pitchers are frustrated with a midseason change like this.

Baseball is just awful right now. I am sure my opinions are influenced by how bad the Yankees are playing....but I am getting to the "don't care" phase.
Baseballs not bad, the Yankees are.

They better make some big time moves in July, I don’t see how they can sneak into the Wild Card with what they’ve got. It’s fundamentally flawed and so is Boone.

Reaction Score

I think Cole is gonna be ok, the Yankees not so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom