The Official Thread of The Boston Red Sox - 2022 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The Boston Red Sox - 2022

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thought I'd start this off. Sox are blazing hot in the grapefruit league. Team has lost some power, but upgraded the defense and speed tremendously. It feels like a modern NBA squad with loads of players that have positional flexibility. 1B looks like a weak spot, but I think the team believes Casas will be up at some point so they didn't want to spend there or block him. Shaw and Bobby D is adequate. The pitching staff looks promising, despite losing Sale for some time (again). Houck is ready to be a + level starter. They optioned Duran, but he'll be back.

I think the lack of a splashy move aside from Story has people sleeping on this team a bit. But that was true last year as well. The depth and flexibility will help win games and the upgraded defense will help the pitching staff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Over under on wins for Boston is absurdly low at 82.5. Seems like easy money. People are sleeping on this team, which should be very good again.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So this thread is dead. As dead as the Sox season. Trevor Story finally goes off with 3 HRs and everybody in Boston is watching the Celtics when it happens. At least they moved ahead of Baltimore. That's something.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm talking to myself here, but 5 straight wins. Only 3 out of the wildcard. Not a complete embarrassment at least.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So still talking to myself, but what the team in doing now is truly impressive.

"The Red Sox were 14-22 in mid-May. They’ve won 17 of 23 since and find themselves in the thick of the playoff picture. They own Major League Baseball’s best record since May 18 (17-6, .739) and are 21-9 (.700) in their last 30 games."

Devers has homered in 4 straight games. The pitchers have been lights out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why should I care about the Sox winning when they don't?

Reaction Score
As much as I hate the Red Sox and love watching them lose, I never wish ill will on any of their players, especially a guy who's gone through a lot like Chris Sale.

Hope he's OK after Hicks' line drive.

Reaction Score
As much as I hate the Red Sox and love watching them lose, I never wish ill will on any of their players, especially a guy who's gone through a lot like Chris Sale.

Hope he's OK after Hicks' line drive.

He won't be pitching again for a while, that was ugly. Not just a dislocation, that's an ugly fracture. I was hoping they'd rip him up but not like that.

Reaction Score
They’re rotation is in tatters. I know they are hanging around the wild card hunt but it would probably be best for the organization to be sellers at the deadline, especially with so many teams thinking they are alive.

This is going to be a hell of an interesting offseason with so many of our guys hitting free agency and the whole question about extending Devers.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They’re rotation is in tatters. I know they are hanging around the wild card hunt but it would probably be best for the organization to be sellers at the deadline, especially with so many teams thinking they are alive.

This is going to be a hell of an interesting offseason with so many of our guys hitting free agency and the whole question about extending Devers.
Yeah, I don't know if they will sell, but they really can't be buyers the way things are going. The injury situation is just absurd. It's not just pitchers. Kike has been out for ages. The weakest spot for them is 1B and Casas in AAA has been hurt. Normally he'd have been called up as their top prospect. Can't really get a 1B because you need to hand it to Casas eventually.

Sale will miss 4-6 weeks. The guy just has no luck.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Some of the most horrible baseball ever played. Just awful.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Time for the Garage Sale. Everything must go.

Reaction Score
Really wish they’d go ahead and trade Bogaerts but I feel the public outcry and radio talking heads have forced ownership to pull back a bit. They could get a good haul of prospects if they moved on from X, JD, Vazquez, and Eovaldi. Eovaldi is pitching tonight against Houston. I’d imagine that will be watched intently by several teams

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bloom is a disaster. I don't trust him to not get fleeced.

Reaction Score
You got Hosmer and Tommy Pham back, trying to stay competitive at least.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You got Hosmer and Tommy Pham back, trying to stay competitive at least.
The defense has been embarrassing at 1B and in the OF. With many of the better players set to come back off injury, if they can stop giving away games they might be decent again. Seems like that was the plan here. Plus San Diego is eating most of Hosmer's salary.

Reaction Score

Horrible luck this guy just can’t catch a break ( no pun intended.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Horrible luck this guy just can’t catch a break ( no pun intended.

Just brutal. Sale and Paige B are both cursed it seems. Put the tiki back.

the brady bunch GIF by TV Land Classic

Reaction Score
Just brutal. Sale and Paige B are both cursed it seems. Put the tiki back.

the brady bunch GIF by TV Land Classic
Theres more to the story, apparently Sale got hurt riding his bike in Cleveland Circle going to get lunch if true just wow. Paiges injuries have at least been on the court.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, it's past the All-star break and I've finally watched a few Sox games. Probably up to 15 games for the season. Watched last night's dud.

They are a really bad team. The hitters swing and miss at so many pitches in the strike zone it's uncanny. Especially JD Martinez with his quick spiral down to a below average contact hitter.

How this team is within a few games of .500 I have no idea.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So, it's past the All-star break and I've finally watched a few Sox games. Probably up to 15 games for the season. Watched last night's dud.

They are a really bad team. The hitters swing and miss at so many pitches in the strike zone it's uncanny. Especially JD Martinez with his quick spiral down to a below average contact hitter.

Meh. You're seeing what a really bad team looks like this week.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Meh. You're seeing what a really bad team looks like this week.
Mostly injuries. Sale never pitched. #2 Eovaldi missed half the season. #3 starter Wacha missed 1/4. Pivetta missed games. The entire outfield except Verdugo missed extended time. Story missed extended time. When they had a full roster they were briefly the best team in baseball. Then the injuries hit as the schedule got tougher.

Not sure they will make the playoffs, but they are capable of going on a run. Playing the Pirates doesn't hurt. @storrsroars weren't they good with young players a few years ago? I'll never understand that. The Royals won a lot of games, then won a WS, lots of young talent then immediately went back to being terrible.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not sure they will make the playoffs, but they are capable of going on a run. Playing the Pirates doesn't hurt. @storrsroars weren't they good with young players a few years ago? I'll never understand that. The Royals won a lot of games, then won a WS, lots of young talent then immediately went back to being terrible.
Pirates were decent from 2013-15. Combination of multiple 1st round draft picks playing well (McCutchen, Alvarez, Cole, Walker), and astute trades for value on bounceback players (AJ Burnett, Russell Martin, Liriano), plus a great bullpen. Owner is cheap, or at least frugal to the point of annoyance, and GM at that time refused to allocate more than 10% of payroll to any one player (and payroll was around $100mm). They probably could've made a run in 2016 if they paid JA Happ, but Cutch and others suddenly had down years. Most of the stars were traded a year or two before they became FAs in order to restock the system with good prospects. What followed was several years of poor player development. And that seems to have continued. What is supposedly a top 5 farm system can't seem to produce anyone who can hit or pitch at the MLB level. Other than Reynolds, there is not an MLB-level bat to be found on the roster. Hayes, while a great 3b, has been disappointing at the plate. Oneil Cruz has tremendous potential, but currently no pitch recognition. Mitch Keller, who pitched last night, was supposed to be the next TOR guy, but what you saw last night was him regressing and possibly showing signs of overwork. There are some nice bench pieces, but nobody who would threaten a starting position on the other 29 clubs. It's gotten ridiculous. This was a year Bucs were supposed to start showing progress from the prospects and it's been wildly disappointing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Getting through the dredges of August sports. Watched last night.

Bottom of 7th. First and third with two outs. Cordero strikes out swinging.
Bottom of the 8th. Leadoff triple on a gift misplay by the RF. Couldn't get him home. Not even close either. 3 straight outs.
Bottom of the 9th, still tied. Bases loaded, no outs. Couldn't get one in to win the game.
Franchy Cordero was in the mix of things in the 7th and the 9th and both times struck out swinging and I think he had three swings and misses each at bat. Might have had a foul ball or a called strike in there but I know at least four swing and misses in those two at bats. He's not good.
Devers, Boegarts, Martinez are all so slow.

And Boston's relievers have are completely anemic to throwing strikes.

Toronto is 13-3 against the Sox this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom