OT: - The OFFICIAL NBA Draft Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: The OFFICIAL NBA Draft Thread

Reaction Score
Sacramento won this draft. Fox and Giles are good character guys with ridiculously high ceilings. Perfect fit.

Knicks passing on Monk might be a mistake, but glad he landed next to Kemba in Buzz City.

I know the Knicks needed a PG and maybe FN will turn into a beast, but I like Dennis Smith.

I think the Celtics missed an opportunity to go after Cleveland. If they gave #3, BKL #1 pick next yr, and Brown for KP, then signed Heyward, they'd be a FORCE. A lineup with IT, AB, GH, KP and AH is awesome. They'd still have Smart and Crowder and Olynyk off the bench too. That's a very talented and deep team. They'd be fun to watch.
Everyone loved Sacremento's draft, but I just don't see Justin Jackson being good in the NBA. He's not explosive or strong, and it took him a while for his jumper to improve at the NCAA level.

Knicks not taking Smith or Monk seemed ridiculous to me. Not to say their pick was bad, but Melo is going to leave and they will desperately need scoring in their backcourt, which those two both bring in spades.

Then again if FN is really a great floor general, it would definitely help them get back on track. I'm really interested to see how he does in the summer league.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical on Lavine, and am happy Celts didn't give up Brown + #3 for KP. Would have been fine with Celts offering Brown OR #3, the Lakers/Kings pick, and whatever else Phil might have wanted though. That still would have been a good haul for the Knicks.
Yeah I'm back and forth on Brown. He still has both high ceiling and low floor, being in the right situation increases the ceiling odds so I can be optimistic about him under Stevens and not overly worried about him if they moved Brown to Chicago or NYK. And either way its tough because IF they draft well this year and next they can keep most of their guys and have the 3+ stars. You need guys like Smart coming off the bench in playoffs. And the Celtics could have a core intact for next 1-5yrs because the draft picks are on much cheaper contracts.

I like the draft steals mentioned above by Stats and those citing Bell to GWS, would add Blossomgame (great name!) for the Spurs, Frank Mason in 2nd round to Sacto, Thornwell to Bucks & the Oregon guards (Dorsey-ATL, Brooks-Hou). I say Goss has a chance to be this year's Brogdon although not ROY consideration but getting good minutes off the bench for a playoff team (IF they keep Hawyard which I hope they don't ;)

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Everyone loved Sacremento's draft, but I just don't see Justin Jackson being good in the NBA. He's not explosive or strong, and it took him a while for his jumper to improve at the NCAA level.

Knicks not taking Smith or Monk seemed ridiculous to me. Not to say their pick was bad, but Melo is going to leave and they will desperately need scoring in their backcourt, which those two both bring in spades.

Then again if FN is really a great floor general, it would definitely help them get back on track. I'm really interested to see how he does in the summer league.
The problem is no one knows anything about FN. All Phil said about him is he has good size. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Phil is obsessed with the triangle. He's running the Knicks into the ground. He's falling in and out of sleep during a top 10 picks workout?? If I were Dolan and I heard that I'd be FURIOUS. He's trying to coach the team from his condo. He's made a habit of talking about his best players. He undermines the coaches, he cant stay awake, and he gave Melo a huge deal with a no trade clause then asks him to waive the no trade he JUST GAVE HIM. Dolan should fire him IMMEDIATELY. Obviously he wont because the draft just happened.

If it were me I'd give him this offseason to convince me of his plan. If he can't get that done I'd fire him and hire the best cap guy/basketball mind I could find. Give that guy the reigns and stay out of it.

I'm not even a Knicks fan but this situation drives me insane. First, Dolan is too hands on, hires a bunch of clowns. Then he hires Walsh, who is a good exec, but fires him for some reason. Then more clowns and still too hands on. Finally hires Phil, which didn't seem like a bad idea at the time and vowed to be hands off. Which in all fairness, he has. (Aside from the Oakley nonsense). So now that he's hands off, he wont fire this guy who's running his team into the ground. I really don't get it. The only good thing Phil has done is get Porzingis. Then he bad mouths him and tries to trade him. I just...I don't get any of it!

Reaction Score
I am fine with Celtics not giving up these picks for Butler or KP, I do not think either with the addition of Hayward is enough to beat GS or Cleveland right now, but Cleveland has 2 years left before Lebron leaves and 3 before Kyrie's contract is up. So I am for hoping Tatum turns into Melo, Brown develops into a real solid player, and they can hit a HR on one of the picks next year with a big man, and add Hayward. At this point Cleveland will be done and who knows where GS is. I think this is their best chance at building a title team.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Golden state also signed bells former teammate Boucher, who is also long, lean and mind bogglingly efficient.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical on Lavine, and am happy Celts didn't give up Brown + #3 for KP. Would have been fine with Celts offering Brown OR #3, the Lakers/Kings pick, and whatever else Phil might have wanted though. That still would have been a good haul for the Knicks.

Really? I would have given up Brown and #3 for Kristaps in a second. I think Danny would have too but the sticking point was the 2018 Brooklyn pick.

Reaction Score
Sacramento won this draft. Fox and Giles are good character guys with ridiculously high ceilings. Perfect fit.

Knicks passing on Monk might be a mistake, but glad he landed next to Kemba in Buzz City.

I know the Knicks needed a PG and maybe FN will turn into a beast, but I like Dennis Smith.

I think the Celtics missed an opportunity to go after Cleveland. If they gave #3, BKL #1 pick next yr, and Brown for KP, then signed Heyward, they'd be a FORCE. A lineup with IT, AB, GH, KP and AH is awesome. They'd still have Smart and Crowder and Olynyk off the bench too. That's a very talented and deep team. They'd be fun to watch.
How did Sacto win the draft while passing on Monk twice yet Knicks missed by passing on Monk?
On Porzingis the story was Knicks wanted 2017 #3, next year's BKN #1 AND Brown AND Crowder, like I said any combo of players was workable but 2 solid players and 2 draft picks was too steep. So in your scenario above they wouldn't have Crowder who although an average starter is a very attractive trade asset due to his contract.
I agree with consensus that Philly won the draft (move was win-win for Philly Boston at this point with final outcome hopefully TBD over 15yrs debating who is better Fultz or Tatum). I'm excited for this Sixers team and the rubber finally meeting the road on the process. Fultz said it best - playoffs or bust.

Among the NBA championship contending teams, nothing changed. Maybe Houston & Spurs added players that will contribute but equal or better bet that GSW did. Even best case scenario for Tatum doesn't vault Celtics into true comp for LeBron unless/until they add a free agent.

the Q

Reaction Score
Philly had a good draft. The kid they took at 36 is really interesting.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why would Kemba be projected into the 201o draft? He wasn't in it. That wasn't the discussion. What you want is a projection from 2010 that shows what people thought about the 2011 draft.

Jerry showed that in 2010, Kemba was projected by some in the next year's lottery.

Ok I can see that point and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. All I said was I read it another way and showed what I saw - that doesn't make me, as he puts it - " Man you are dumb, I knew you couldn't write but you also apparently can't read
Yet Kemba's name was thrown around in the 2010 draft earlier that year
But still doesn't call for a " person in his 30's" to resort to name calling and accusations one would expect from a teenager, in fact my 10 yo grandson would reply in a more mature manor.
I just thought it was uncalled for but again - if that's how some people are, so be it. I consider him, with his comments to be quite immature for his age

Reaction Score
Ok I can see that point and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. All I said was I read it another way and showed what I saw - that doesn't make me, as he puts it - " Man you are dumb, I knew you couldn't write but you also apparently can't read
Yet Kemba's name was thrown around in the 2010 draft earlier that year
But still doesn't call for a " person in his 30's" to resort to name calling and accusations one would expect from a teenager, in fact my 10 yo grandson would reply in a more mature manor.
I just thought it was uncalled for but again - if that's how some people are, so be it. I consider him, with his comments to be quite immature for his age
Sorry to hurt your feelings snowflake, also, I responded to you in that manner because you made very similar comments to me in the past, but I guess you are a can dish but cannot take it guy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sorry to hurt your feelings snowflake, also, I responded to you in that manner because you made very similar comments to me in the past, but I guess you are a can dish but cannot take it guy.
LOL -hurt my feelings? my feelings aren't hurt but just hoping I wouldn't receive a reply like this, but................
Adios, no mas, good evening -

Reaction Score
So, my reply wasn't a comment on anything other than the facts.

Now, that being said, let's break this little fight up and try to let this be a thread about the draft and its aftermath rather than bickering.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Zingis, If the C's somehow agreed to part ways with this years pick and next years Nets pick plus Brown and Crowder, I'd fully embrace giving him up. Rebuild the rebuild. Although hard to call it a rebuild until Melo is off the payroll. Still boggles my mind the NBA hasn't been more intrusive trying to get the #1 media market team out of Dolan's grimy grasp.

Reaction Score
Really? I would have given up Brown and #3 for Kristaps in a second. I think Danny would have too but the sticking point was the 2018 Brooklyn pick.

The reports the media were getting was that Phil's asking price was ridiculous, which leads me to believe Danny wasn't all that close on a deal, certainly not to the extent you suggested.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
How did Sacto win the draft while passing on Monk twice yet Knicks missed by passing on Monk?
On Porzingis the story was Knicks wanted 2017 #3, next year's BKN #1 AND Brown AND Crowder, like I said any combo of players was workable but 2 solid players and 2 draft picks was too steep. So in your scenario above they wouldn't have Crowder who although an average starter is a very attractive trade asset due to his contract.
I agree with consensus that Philly won the draft (move was win-win for Philly Boston at this point with final outcome hopefully TBD over 15yrs debating who is better Fultz or Tatum). I'm excited for this Sixers team and the rubber finally meeting the road on the process. Fultz said it best - playoffs or bust.

Among the NBA championship contending teams, nothing changed. Maybe Houston & Spurs added players that will contribute but equal or better bet that GSW did. Even best case scenario for Tatum doesn't vault Celtics into true comp for LeBron unless/until they add a free agent.
Sacramento has a 2 guard they just traded for in Hield. They're not in the same position as NYK. They got a stud PG (I like him better than Ball) and a guy in Giles with as much upside as anyone in the draft.

Reaction Score
Sacramento has a 2 guard they just traded for in Hield. They're not in the same position as NYK. They got a stud PG (I like him better than Ball) and a guy in Giles with as much upside as anyone in the draft.

Would you really say the Kings are in a spot to be looking for positional need as opposed to best talent available though?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Would you really say the Kings are in a spot to be looking for positional need as opposed to best talent available though?
Well exactly - they took #10 and turned it into 15 and 20. They got a low floor guy in Jackson and a mega high ceiling in Giles. I think it was the right move as much as I like Monk.

the Q

Reaction Score
Well exactly - they took #10 and turned it into 15 and 20. They got a low floor guy in Jackson and a mega high ceiling in Giles. I think it was the right move as much as I like Monk.

Giles was the right move. I'm not convinced Jackson is a worthy first rounder.

Reaction Score

I feel like if you really like Giles that much and want to take a chance there, that you can just as easily keep the 10th pick and trade back into the 2nd half of the 1st to take him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom