OT: - The OFFICIAL NBA Draft Thread | The Boneyard

OT: The OFFICIAL NBA Draft Thread

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Someone asked for it so I'll deliver.

I'm also gonna start it off with an old tradition from a now defunct message board I used to frequent.

But this is about guys in the 2nd round who I found to be rather intriguing this year.

=======================================================================

This is something I used to do on the old board (KFFL) and it became a yearly thing.

Some of my past favorite hits have been: Danny Green, Khris Middleton, Jamychal Green, Brandon Bass, Milsap, Will Barton, Jae Crowder, Kyle O'Quinn, Allen Crabbe.

Sure there are plenty of misses in there. over the years too But that's the point, no one likes these guys. Last year McCaw and Brogdan were 2 of mine last year (I also had Onuaku for 2106, I was a Bobby Brown fan, a Darkari Johnson fan and Darius Morris too...so again, I don't claim perfection).

(I also didn't include guys who randomly fell to round 2 unexpectedly like Whiteside or DeAndre Jordan).

My whole thing with this is guys who are already projected to be round 2 picks who will likely out play that draft position.

For the purposes of this exercise I use the Draft Express mock. Anyone in round 1 is out.

Also, I encourage others to share their potential steals.

So without further ado:

The College Stars

Jordan Bell PF Oregon: In this modern era of "position-less basketball" Bell is exactly the kind of role player you're looking to find. He's long (6'11.5 wingspan) and has the ability to guard 4 or even all 5 spots on the floor in certain situations. With all the talk about "Death Lineups" he's a guy you can have on the floor to combat it defensively. Offensively he's alarmingly efficient from the floor, but his FT shooting is meh and his 3pt shooting is non-existent. he's probably never going to be a classic stretch 4. But his size, versatility and general offensive efficiency make him a very useful role player. I still don't think he ends up landing in round 2.

Josh Hart, SG, Villanova: 6'5 height and 6'8 wingspan give him the size he needs. Probably needs to bulk up a bit. I don't think he's a ball handler play maker 3 apg, 2 TO/g, but he can put it on the floor when he needs to. Again, very efficient player. decent FT shooter (75%), and 40% from 3 shows signs. He's a classic spurs type player. This is a Courtney Lee type profile. A little less on D though.

Devin Robinson, SF Florida: This is your classic 3 and D type player. He shouldn't be dribbling. Basically ever except on the break, but he's pretty good when he can get going there. But he found the stroke from 3. He's a 72% from FT line so that shooting still needs a bit of work. But has the tools be dynamite defensively, but still learning some of the nuances of team defense. This kid needs to go somewhere with a strong defensive coach like SA, Minny, Dallas or Boston. I'd love to see him with Minny or Dallas. Potential Jae Crowder situation here. But again, that's the high end.

Sindarius Thornwell, SG, South Carolina: This guy finally got to strut his stuff on the big stage and man he didn't disappoint. He's 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan so he's got the length to cover some 3s. But he's ideally a 2 with length to really both your typical 2s. His game is pretty well rounded. Strong block and steal numbers (2/1pg) and shot 39% from 3 and is an 82% FT shooter, so that looks pretty legit. Averaging 7 rebounds per game as a SG is absurd. His defensive is his calling card. His biggest issue is the lower vertical leap makes him a low % finisher at the rim, dragging down his overall shooting %. For me he's a classic 3 and D profile. Those guys can be pretty freaking valuable.

Lesser Known Guys

Alec Peters PF Valparaiso: More of a classic stretch 4. The kid is a pretty good shooter (88% FT) which means his 36% 3pt shooting is likely for real. His defensive issues are value (less than a block or a steal per game) but I see him playing the poor man's Harrison Barnes on the Warriors role for a team. He'll stand in the corner, hit 3s, do some rebounding and try not to embarrass himself on defense. Again, not a star, but can be a very useful role player.

Cameron Oliver, PF, Nevada: Oliver probably has the highest upside of nay of these guys I have listed here. He's 6-8 1/4 in shoes, but a 7-1 1/4 wingpan gives him some absurd length. He also has a 39.5 max vertical, showing some elite level athleticism. His game is very strong almost across the board. 8.6 board per game, and 2.6 blocks and almost 1 steal per game showcase his value on defense. And offensively he's just fascinating. Shooting 52% from the field and 38% from 3 shows he has some talent, but the biggest concern is that 69% FT shooting %. It makes we wonder about this 3pt shooting (cause FT% is a better indicator of 3pt % than 3pt % itself). But he also did it on almost 5 3s per game average. This is the guy with the highest upside of anyone else out there on this list. He may be a little raw, but he's well worth a late first IMO.

Strong Longshot
Jake Wiley, PF Eastern Washington: This is a guy I'll be rooting for. 6'7 with shoes but a 7 foot wingspan is condor like. He's very long. He's a plus plus athlete with a 3.17 3/4 sprint (would've been top 5 at the combine) and a 37.5 no step vert, which is also strong. He's also known for a plus motor. His 80% ft shooting gives hope that he can expand his game out to the perimeter a bit. I'm not going to project him out to 3pt land with that, but it's intriguing. Defensively he averages almost 3 blocks a steal per game. Showing is defensive athleticism and motor. This is the kind of guy who can really surprise people when given a chance, but with only 2 years of D1 college experience (1 year at Montana, 1 at Eastern Washington) it's a tough situation for evaluation purposes. The biggest concern is why he quit basketball at Montana to run track (400 meters, so you know he's athletic lol). It's a legit question, but one I'd be willing to roll the dice on to find out.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what people think Eric Bledsoe can fetch in a trade. As a Suns fan, I'm really warming to the idea of taking Fox at 4 and trading Bledsoe, but really don't have a good idea of what they could get back for him. If the value isn't there, I'm in on taking the best SF available to pair with Booker.

Reaction Score
They have Brandon Knight locked up next 3 years @ major $$

Bledsoe can get a #2 I think, teams won't pay up for other teams mistakes

I'm curious what people think Eric Bledsoe can fetch in a trade. As a Suns fan, I'm really warming to the idea of taking Fox at 4 and trading Bledsoe, but really don't have a good idea of what they could get back for him. If the value isn't there, I'm in on taking the best SF available to pair with Booker.

Reaction Score
They have Brandon Knight locked up next 3 years @ major $$

Bledsoe can get a #2 I think, teams won't pay up for other teams mistakes

Wait I'm a little confused here. Knight is the mistake. Bledsoe is a pretty good player. I just assumed the Suns were stuck with Knight or would have to pay someone to take him. Bledsoe is under contract for 2 more years at I think less than 15M per year.

Reaction Score
Wait I'm a little confused here. Knight is the mistake. Bledsoe is a pretty good player. I just assumed the Suns were stuck with Knight or would have to pay someone to take him. Bledsoe is under contract for 2 more years at I think less than 15M per year.

Bledsoe is still an asset. JSM doesn't have the best track record on NBA opinions. I don't know what his exact value is but Bledsoe is definitely still getting a 1st rounder, at least. You are right on Knight - the word is that the Suns would give him up for a bag of popcorn if possible. He is not a part of their plans.

Reaction Score
Someone asked for it so I'll deliver.

I'm also gonna start it off with an old tradition from a now defunct message board I used to frequent.

But this is about guys in the 2nd round who I found to be rather intriguing this year.

=======================================================================

This is something I used to do on the old board (KFFL) and it became a yearly thing.

Some of my past favorite hits have been: Danny Green, Khris Middleton, Jamychal Green, Brandon Bass, Milsap, Will Barton, Jae Crowder, Kyle O'Quinn, Allen Crabbe.

Sure there are plenty of misses in there. over the years too But that's the point, no one likes these guys. Last year McCaw and Brogdan were 2 of mine last year (I also had Onuaku for 2106, I was a Bobby Brown fan, a Darkari Johnson fan and Darius Morris too...so again, I don't claim perfection).

(I also didn't include guys who randomly fell to round 2 unexpectedly like Whiteside or DeAndre Jordan).

My whole thing with this is guys who are already projected to be round 2 picks who will likely out play that draft position.

For the purposes of this exercise I use the Draft Express mock. Anyone in round 1 is out.

Also, I encourage others to share their potential steals.

So without further ado:

The College Stars

Jordan Bell PF Oregon: In this modern era of "position-less basketball" Bell is exactly the kind of role player you're looking to find. He's long (6'11.5 wingspan) and has the ability to guard 4 or even all 5 spots on the floor in certain situations. With all the talk about "Death Lineups" he's a guy you can have on the floor to combat it defensively. Offensively he's alarmingly efficient from the floor, but his FT shooting is meh and his 3pt shooting is non-existent. he's probably never going to be a classic stretch 4. But his size, versatility and general offensive efficiency make him a very useful role player. I still don't think he ends up landing in round 2.

Josh Hart, SG, Villanova: 6'5 height and 6'8 wingspan give him the size he needs. Probably needs to bulk up a bit. I don't think he's a ball handler play maker 3 apg, 2 TO/g, but he can put it on the floor when he needs to. Again, very efficient player. decent FT shooter (75%), and 40% from 3 shows signs. He's a classic spurs type player. This is a Courtney Lee type profile. A little less on D though.

Devin Robinson, SF Florida: This is your classic 3 and D type player. He shouldn't be dribbling. Basically ever except on the break, but he's pretty good when he can get going there. But he found the stroke from 3. He's a 72% from FT line so that shooting still needs a bit of work. But has the tools be dynamite defensively, but still learning some of the nuances of team defense. This kid needs to go somewhere with a strong defensive coach like SA, Minny, Dallas or Boston. I'd love to see him with Minny or Dallas. Potential Jae Crowder situation here. But again, that's the high end.

Sindarius Thornwell, SG, South Carolina: This guy finally got to strut his stuff on the big stage and man he didn't disappoint. He's 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan so he's got the length to cover some 3s. But he's ideally a 2 with length to really both your typical 2s. His game is pretty well rounded. Strong block and steal numbers (2/1pg) and shot 39% from 3 and is an 82% FT shooter, so that looks pretty legit. Averaging 7 rebounds per game as a SG is absurd. His defensive is his calling card. His biggest issue is the lower vertical leap makes him a low % finisher at the rim, dragging down his overall shooting %. For me he's a classic 3 and D profile. Those guys can be pretty freaking valuable.

Lesser Known Guys

Alec Peters PF Valparaiso: More of a classic stretch 4. The kid is a pretty good shooter (88% FT) which means his 36% 3pt shooting is likely for real. His defensive issues are value (less than a block or a steal per game) but I see him playing the poor man's Harrison Barnes on the Warriors role for a team. He'll stand in the corner, hit 3s, do some rebounding and try not to embarrass himself on defense. Again, not a star, but can be a very useful role player.

Cameron Oliver, PF, Nevada: Oliver probably has the highest upside of nay of these guys I have listed here. He's 6-8 1/4 in shoes, but a 7-1 1/4 wingpan gives him some absurd length. He also has a 39.5 max vertical, showing some elite level athleticism. His game is very strong almost across the board. 8.6 board per game, and 2.6 blocks and almost 1 steal per game showcase his value on defense. And offensively he's just fascinating. Shooting 52% from the field and 38% from 3 shows he has some talent, but the biggest concern is that 69% FT shooting %. It makes we wonder about this 3pt shooting (cause FT% is a better indicator of 3pt % than 3pt % itself). But he also did it on almost 5 3s per game average. This is the guy with the highest upside of anyone else out there on this list. He may be a little raw, but he's well worth a late first IMO.

Strong Longshot
Jake Wiley, PF Eastern Washington: This is a guy I'll be rooting for. 6'7 with shoes but a 7 foot wingspan is condor like. He's very long. He's a plus plus athlete with a 3.17 3/4 sprint (would've been top 5 at the combine) and a 37.5 no step vert, which is also strong. He's also known for a plus motor. His 80% ft shooting gives hope that he can expand his game out to the perimeter a bit. I'm not going to project him out to 3pt land with that, but it's intriguing. Defensively he averages almost 3 blocks a steal per game. Showing is defensive athleticism and motor. This is the kind of guy who can really surprise people when given a chance, but with only 2 years of D1 college experience (1 year at Montana, 1 at Eastern Washington) it's a tough situation for evaluation purposes. The biggest concern is why he quit basketball at Montana to run track (400 meters, so you know he's athletic lol). It's a legit question, but one I'd be willing to roll the dice on to find out.

This is a really good post and I appreciate all the thought you put into it. I am similarly high on Bell and Thornwell. Morris looks like he will have a long career as a backup in the league as well. I think Jawun Evans is going to be a good NBA player and I would grab him in the 1st, for sure.

the Q

Reaction Score
Overrated/Underrated time:

Overrated:

Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas: Since we already have that rock fight going on in another thread, i'll keep this brief. Jackson came into the year with a lot of hype, but there's some major flaws to his game. First, he really can't dribble. He's a guy who can take it in the open floor, but he's not an iso ball caliber handler, much like Jaylen Brown last year. Second, his shooting isn't as strong as some of his numbers indicate. His FT% (which has historically been a better indicator of true shooting ability) is abysmal (56.6%) and his mechanics are simply not good. Granted all of this was said about Kawhi Leonard as well, and Jaylen Brown...and KJ McDaniel. I'm just not sold on this guy being a top 3 pick when there's legitimate talent still on the board. Especially when he's older than a lot of college sophomores, so his "freshman" season isn't nearly as impressive. If the Celtics end up sticking at 3 and taking Jackson, that deal down will likely be a loss (unless the Bamba quotient for the 2018/2019 is >0).

Luke Kennard, G, Duke: I knew Kennard would rocket up the draft boards, because he's the best shooter in the draft. But he's also 6'5 with the impressive feat of a wingspan shorter than his height (which is below average for a normal person, forget an NBA prospect) and he lacks the quickness and explosiveness of good NBA players. Additionally his asst/to ratio shows he really isn't much of a playmaker. He's a knockdown shooter who would be great with a strong PG to get him the ball. He's likely to be one of those guys who buts up some darn good fantasy stats but isn't a huge impact player in RL due to his defensive limitations (like a Michael Booker or a Brandon Knight). Booker is probably a pretty good comp for him.

Justin Jackson, SF, UNC: I'm seeing him as a guy going 16-21 range. I just don't see it. Again, average NBA athlete at best. Like the size and legnth (6'8 height, 6'11 wing) but the game is just ok. He's a decent college 3pt shooter (36%) but his FT% shows he may not even be that good (74.8%). Another gu who I don't think can handle the ball and create at the NBA level. Additionally his block and seals per game were both below 1, portraying low defensive value and potential. Plus, he's already 22, the age of most college seniors. His NBA career looks more like a Jeremy Lamb's than Harrison Barnes.

Underrated: This was a very hard year to do this. I don't see a lot of value in the back end of round 1 this year, just a lot of guys who are either properly valued or maybe even a touch on the overrated side. Also, i avoided the round 2 guys cause I already kind of went there. Sure there are more guys who could be round 1 guys, but it seemed a bit redundant.

Zach Collins, Gonzaga: The analytics like this guy alot. He's an efficient player, a good shooter (not as great as the numbers suggest right now, but a legit floor stretcher) and he was able to play with big guys too. So he can play 4 and 5 if need be. He's also a legit 7 footer with the length to back it up. His almost 2 blocks per game in almost 17 minutes per game is really impressive. He's got legitimate 2 way impact ability and it was really just the depth of Gonazaga's stable of big men that kept him from getting more minutes.. He probably won't make a hug immediate impact on year 1, but he could easily be a top 5 value by the end of the rookie deals.

Harry Giles, PF, Duke: This one is basically the roulette call. Picking Giles is like going the roulette table and dropping money on 17. How high of a pick depends on how much that money equivalent would be, but here's the thing: a healthy Giles has a damn good chance to be the #1 player out of this whole draft. He's the guy who could be the Kawhi story of 2017. But again, who knows if we'll ever see that player again multiple injuries. He seemed rattled and unsure of himself when he was on the floor at Duke. How much of that was the knee we don't know. However I said a lot of stuff like this (minus the injuries, more getting his head out of his rectum) about Perry Jones III...that didn't turn out well. But DE has him at 26 right now. Which is absurd. The upside is too great.

Caleb Swannigan, Purdue: It's not that I love Swannigan, but he does have that condor length, and serious strength, plus some serious shooting ability that he will be an effective player on the offensive end and on the glass. The questions will be defensively and turnovers. But in a world where Anigbogu and Patton are projected to go around 15-20 slots higher than Swannigan, that qualifies as underrated. I can justify liking those 2 more than Swannigan, but not THAT much.

the Q

Reaction Score
This is a really good post and I appreciate all the thought you put into it. I am similarly high on Bell and Thornwell. Morris looks like he will have a long career as a backup in the league as well. I think Jawun Evans is going to be a good NBA player and I would grab him in the 1st, for sure.

My biggest concern with Evans honestly is a less than ideal asst/turnover ratio and that his speed/agility testing wasn't that great. I expected him to test out way better than he did.

Reaction Score
I feel like Swanigan will end up being a nice value, hoping a team I like pulls triggy on him

Reaction Score
Yes, but that's living in the past. Unless Larrier is a stud UConn could reasonably go 5+ years w/o a drafted player.

UConn's fall has been faster than its rise.

I miss Jim...

Reaction Score
Yes, but that's living in the past. Unless Larrier is a stud UConn could reasonably go 5+ years w/o a drafted player.

UConn's fall has been faster than its rise.
Well Jalen is a known stud so you can rest easy, tweetums

Reaction Score
KP trade cannot include the Nets 2018

The top 4 in 2018 would all be #1 this year

Porter Jr, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba

As long as the Celtics come away with either Tatum or a reasonable trade for Porzingis I'm a happy guy...

the Q

Reaction Score
KP trade cannot include the Nets 2018

The top 4 in 2018 would all be #1 this year

Porter Jr, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba

Celts are in good shape to get 2 of those as long the lakers don't get Pg13 tonight

the Q

Reaction Score
Well Jalen is a known stud so you can rest easy, tweetums

Jalen is closer to Hamilton than Kemba for NBA circles right now.

He's hasn't been in a single 2018 mock that I've seen yet.

Reaction Score
Jalen is closer to Hamilton than Kemba for NBA circles right now.

He's hasn't been in a single 2018 mock that I've seen yet.

To be fair though how high was Kemba on anyone's draft board after his Sophomore year? I think if Jalen has the type of season people think he's capable of, that's when he becomes a legitimate NBA prospect.

Reaction Score
It still kills me that Jordan Bell was UConn bound and we backed off, love his game.

Reaction Score
To be fair though how high was Kemba on anyone's draft board after his Sophomore year? I think if Jalen has the type of season people think he's capable of, that's when he becomes a legitimate NBA prospect.
At the time of the 2010 NBA draft Kemba was projected 27th in the 2011 NBA Draft by nbadraft.net and 11th by draftexpress.

So Kemba was MUCH MUCH higher on people's draft boards after his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
At the time of the 2010 NBA draft Kemba was projected 27th in the 2011 NBA Draft by nbadraft.net and 11th by draftexpress.

So Kemba was MUCH MUCH higher on people's draft boards after his sophomore year.

Is there any way to go back and look at that? Feels pretty dubious after Kemba's Sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Is there any way to go back and look at that? Feels pretty dubious after Kemba's Sophomore year.
Why do you care? I've seen posters give you retroactive proof like this and you still don't change your position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom