The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Literally just turned the TV on during Lindor’s at bat; forgot we had a double-header today.

Glad I missed up till now I guess, but maybe this is a good omen?

Reaction Score
Literally just turned the TV on during Lindor’s at bat; forgot we had a double-header today.

Glad I missed up till now I guess, but maybe this is a good omen?
I turned it off at 9-0 and also walked in for Lindor's HR. I'll take them as good omens

Reaction Score
It may be strange but these last 2 games are why I think this team is winning the division. Best 2 relievers blow games (after being very good for a month plus), and the team finds a way to win. The past few years the team rolls over and gives up

Reaction Score
Frustrating loss but wanted a series win so I'll take it. Would have been nice to end on a high note though

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Frustrating loss but wanted a series win so I'll take it. Would have been nice to end on a high note though
We really needed four out of five in this series. Can’t be giving away wins to bottom dwellers, especially with the Braves’ schedule.

Reaction Score
We really needed four out of five in this series. Can’t be giving away wins to bottom dwellers, especially with the Braves’ schedule.
4 of 5 would have been nice, but I only expected 3-2 and that path should still get them in. Just win every series and you end up 19-10 and 86 wins which will win the division

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I read some more extensive comments from Alderson saying that the reason they want him to ramp back up is to see if they can figure out what was causing the elbow issue in the first place to see if it is chronic so they can try to get a better sense of what they are dealing with heading into next season. Still sounds unlikely we are going to see him in game action again this season, but I think they are going to see how close he can get to being rehabbed before they detect any elbow or other issues again:

“By ramping him back up what we’re trying to do is recreate that pain to see what his threshold is and hopefully it doesn’t get replicated,” Alderson said. “That doesn’t mean we’re going to ramp him up until it breaks. My point is we have to begin to see if this is more of a chronic issue that relates to mechanics in some way, but the more we know going into next season the better off we will be. I don’t expect he is going to get ramped up higher than 75 percent before we have an idea where this is going. In terms of him pitching the rest of the season, I think that is still very much up in the air.”

The Mets ace was enjoying a historic season (pitching to a 1.08 ERA in 15 starts), albeit one marred by various physical ailments that shortened his outings before he was placed on the injured list after returning from the All-Star break with discomfort in his forearm.

DeGrom has averaged 99.2 mph with his fastball velocity this season, the highest in MLB. Alderson was asked about the potential correlation between that velocity and the pitcher’s elbow issues.

“I don’t know exactly what caused the problem, but if you were to look at it generally throughout baseball, I think velocity has something to do with a lot of these injuries,” Alderson said. “Whether it’s true in his case or not I don’t know. But I think there is some correlation. I am not a doctor, I haven’t done the research, but I suspect there is a correlation between the velocities pitchers exhibit today and the rate of injury, which is a concern across baseball.”

Alderson said he’s unsure if it’s realistic to simply tell deGrom not to throw as hard.

“It’s hard to know how one imposes those limitations and then enforces them,” Alderson said. “So I don’t know.”

Reaction Score
Maybe they can fire Rojas before he even gets to the clubhouse tonight
Yea that was a pretty horrific decision. Two bases open. Either pitch your struggling closer vs. a red-hot hitter, or walk him to pitch to a struggling hitter.

Why of course, let's play with fire...what could go wrong?

Reaction Score
Yea that was a pretty horrific decision. Two bases open. Either pitch your struggling closer vs. a red-hot hitter, or walk him to pitch to a struggling hitter.

That on top of using Patrick Mazeika to pinch hit instead of JD Davis. Not a great night for him, or any of the bats if we're being honest

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe they can fire Rojas before he even gets to the clubhouse tonight

That on top of using Patrick Mazeika to pinch hit instead of JD Davis. Not a great night for him, or any of the bats if we're being honest
I didn't agree with pitching to De La Cruz, but I don't trust Diaz, so that's a no-brainer for me. @navery12 , you've been clear that you 100% trust Diaz every time he takes the mound, so aren't you faulting Rojas for having the same faith in Diaz that you have?

As for the Mazeika decision, I believe JD Davis was the last player left on the bench, so I can see the wisdom in having him as an option if the game continued further. If you used Davis then, you still would have had to have Mazeika sub in for McCann in the bottom of the 10th, and you would have no more pinch hitters left.

Reaction Score
I didn't agree with pitching to De La Cruz, but I don't trust Diaz, so that's a no-brainer for me. @navery12 , you've been clear that you 100% trust Diaz every time he takes the mound, so aren't you faulting Rojas for having the same faith in Diaz that you have?

As for the Mazeika decision, I believe JD Davis was the last player left on the bench, so I can see the wisdom in having him as an option if the game continued further. If you used Davis then, you still would have had to have Mazeika sub in for McCann in the bottom of the 10th, and you would have no more pinch hitters left.
I do 100% trust Diaz but it's a bad choice to pitch to the best bat on the Marlins instead of a guy hitting .108 on the season. Bad choice whether it's Diaz, deGrom, or playoff Mariano in that situation.

The reason it's a bad choice to use Mazeika over Davis is because Davis was already on deck to pinch hit for the pitcher if Mazeika got a hit. In either scenario you've used both guys. Saving Davis for an AB that never comes is like saving your closer for a save chances that never comes

Reaction Score
When we do not make the playoffs you can easily point to these losses against the Marlins and the blown save on Sunday as the reason.

(Amongst a million other reasons)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When we do not make the playoffs you can easily point to these losses against the Marlins and the blown save on Sunday as the reason.

(Amongst a million other reasons)
3-7 in Miami this season.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah this team isn't going anywhere this year. I just hope we don't have any more major injuries and we can get Jake to the offseason healthy. I understand why they want to ramp him up and am not opposed to it, but obviously they need to be careful.

Reaction Score
We look like the NL East winner battering the Yankees tonight, because... of course we do

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom