The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread

Reaction Score
I do think they are a good QB away from the playoffs...and the 2021 version of Rodgers would make them a super bowl contender. I would think Rodgers would help them attract a WR and OL help. Rodgers played injured later year...so his poor year was probably an anomaly. I don't think the return would be anything like Wilson or Watson. Both much younger QBs.

That being said....I wouldn't make the move for Rodgers. It's too much of a crap shoot...and after next season you have to deal with the "will he or won't he" again.

I do think there is no way Hackett signed on without knowing who the Qb will be. So....I think something has been worked out already. And I personally hope it's Carr. Stability and continuity is what they need at QB. He can provide that. And he wouldn't cost as much as Rodgers...even if they had to trade for him. But he may be released. I hope it's not Garoppolo.

But Woody still owns the Jets and we all remember the Favre year. Eerily similar situation. It almost worked...but in typical Jets fashion, Favre got banged up and everyone was fired at the end of the year.

Would Woody tempt fate again? Who knows.
Carr is due 37m a year for the next 3 years. That's not cheap.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Carr is due 37m a year for the next 3 years. That's not cheap.
In today's market that isn't that bad....and if he is released, that changes the whole equation. Rodgers won't be cheap either.

Money shouldn't be the deciding factor. The decision is do you roll the dice and hope Rodgers stays healthy and plays like 2021...knowing he may only play one year and you are back to square one with a quarterback gap in 2024? Or do you get a lesser quarterback who has been durable who can be your starter for five years or whatever?

I just hate the Rodgers uncertainty.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Mike Lafleur ending up with the Rams makes a ton of sense. He wasn't ready to call plays in NY. He can learn from McVay.

He has talent..seems smart...just needs play calling experience and people management experience.

Reaction Score
In today's market that isn't that bad....and if he is released, that changes the whole equation. Rodgers won't be cheap either.

Money shouldn't be the deciding factor. The decision is do you roll the dice and hope Rodgers stays healthy and plays like 2021...knowing he may only play one year and you are back to square one with a quarterback gap in 2024? Or do you get a lesser quarterback who has been durable who can be your starter for five years or whatever?

I just hate the Rodgers uncertainty.
He just signed an extension. Isn’t it a trade and not a release situation? If this cuts into that contract why would he willingly walk away from the team?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
He just signed an extension. Isn’t it a trade and not a release situation? If this cuts into that contract why would he willingly walk away from the team?
The team has the option to release him within 3 days of the Superbowl. That greatly reduces their cap hit in 2023. His salary guarantees at that point. He will be traded or released by February 15th.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The latest on the quarterback sweepstakes....the Raider's haven't granted Carr the right to negotiate with other teams. And Carr has said he won't extend the 2/15 deadline. Carr has a no trade clause...if he wants the team he is going to to be good...why would he waive the no trade so his destination is weakened? It's looking more and more like Carr will be released.

I just read an article in The Athletic about Rodgers trade possibilities...he won't be released...he will have to be traded for. He doesn't have a no trade...but you have to think he would be part of the decision. The article stated the Jets would have to give up first round picks in 2023 and 2024 plus Elijah Moore.

So...you can sign Carr as a free agent...without giving up anything more a contract. And you have an average to above average quarterback for the next 5-7 years. Or...you can give up two number one picks and Moore...for a very good (he is aging) quarterback who will play one or two years.

They can win with an average quarterback... especially if they keep their picks and Moore. I say go with Carr.

If Carr or Rodgers don't work out, then you have to sign Garappolo. He won't stay healthy, but if he does you can win with him also. And.... hopefully they can get Zach on track.

Tannehill is a last resort.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The raiders are now giving him permission to talk with other teams. I still think a trade won't be worked out...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The raiders are now giving him permission to talk with other teams. I still think a trade won't be worked out...

The thinking is that nobody wants that contract, so they'll wait, assuming he will be released. I think they are probably right. He'd still come in at about $30m a year most likely.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The thinking is that nobody wants that contract, so they'll wait, assuming he will be released. I think they are probably right. He'd still come in at about $30m a year most likely.
Yeah...I don't think he is traded. They are most likely releasing him.

That's why I think he is a great option. Similarsalary as Rodgers, but won't cost them multiple number one picks. And he will be around for a few years.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I don't think he is traded. They are most likely releasing him.

That's why I think he is a great option. Similarsalary as Rodgers, but won't cost them multiple number one picks. And he will be around for a few years.
But he’s DEREK CARR.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But he’s DEREK CARR.
Yeah, it must be tough to contemplate the best QB the Jets would have had since Ken O'Brien. You could do a lot worse, and have for 30 years.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it must be tough to contemplate the best QB the Jets would have had since Ken O'Brien. You could do a lot worse, and have for 30 years.
I know you're trying to be funny and you rarely are...but that's just not true.

Carr's career average removing his rookie season is 3,950 yds, 25 TD's and 11 INT's. He has played 1 playoff game in his entire career. Ryan Fitzpatrick had that same season in 2015. Mark Sanchez in 2011.

Derek Carr is a middling loser at the position. Always finds a way to come up just short. And, he's super highly religious and supposedly, that alienates him from a lot of his teammates because it makes them uncomfortable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not disliking because of Carr, rather it's your completely glossing over the best leader the Jets had since Namath in Chad Pennington. O'Brien had far more weapons than Penny to work with, but always seemed more invested in not throwing INTs than actually winning.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Carr's career average removing his rookie season is 3,950 yds, 25 TD's and 11 INT's. He has played 1 playoff game in his entire career. Ryan Fitzpatrick had that same season in 2015. Mark Sanchez in 2011.

Derek Carr is a middling loser at the position. Always finds a way to come up just short. And, he's super highly religious and supposedly, that alienates him from a lot of his teammates because it makes them uncomfortable.
I actually wasn't trying to be funny this time. Yes, Sanchez and Fitzpatrick, and Pennington had decent seasons. Vinny was good at times too. But there's been no stability since O'Brien really. You don't want to give Wilson another shot, so what is the answer? Rogers? He doesn't have long. Jimmy G?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not disliking because of Carr, rather it's your completely glossing over the best leader the Jets had since Namath in Chad Pennington. O'Brien had far more weapons than Penny to work with, but always seemed more invested in not throwing INTs than actually winning.
Fair. I mentioned him in the follow-up, and if not for injuries he could have been a longer term solution.

Reaction Score
I actually wasn't trying to be funny this time. Yes, Sanchez and Fitzpatrick, and Pennington had decent seasons. Vinny was good at times too. But there's been no stability since O'Brien really. You don't want to give Wilson another shot, so what is the answer? Rogers? He doesn't have long. Jimmy G?
I would take Rodgers for 2 years over Carr. I would take Jimmy G over Carr. I would take Baker Mayfield over Carr.

If they end up with Carr, Matt Ryan or Tannehill, there's zero upside at the QB position for the next 3-5 years.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pennington was pretty good before his shoulder disintegrated.

I didn't see this reply before I posted mine. My bad.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I would take Rodgers for 2 years over Carr. I would take Jimmy G over Carr. I would take Baker Mayfield over Carr.

If they end up with Carr, Matt Ryan or Tannehill, there's zero upside at the QB position for the next 3-5 years.
That's crazy talk. Carr never played with a defense like the Jets. I like Garappolo...he just can't stay on the field. And you saw how important that was to the niners. Ryan is too old. Mayfield...just no. I would take Darnold over Mayfield. Tannehill maybe.

And.... Rodgers is thinking about retirement this year...you think he will play two more? And they need those draft picks to fill holes at a low cost (especially if they sign a pricey QB).

I knew Carr was religious...bit has it really been a locker room distraction? More than Rodgers stuff?

Considering everything....this is my list in order...

Carr
Rodgers
Garappolo
Tannehill

I would be content with any of the four.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rodgers is going on a "dark retreat" and doing the "will I or won't I" dance for another year, but Carr being religious is a distraction?

I just want stability....you aren't getting that with Rodgers. But...if I knew he would get them a Super Bowl....I would deal with a year of dysfunction!
Remind you of another former Packer courted by the Jets? Would probably work out the same too.

Reaction Score
Rodgers is going on a "dark retreat" and doing the "will I or won't I" dance for another year, but Carr being religious is a distraction?

I just want stability....you aren't getting that with Rodgers. But...if I knew he would get them a Super Bowl....I would deal with a year of dysfunction!
I didn't say stability. I said he alienates himself from his teammates because he's not "one of the guys" due to his super religious lifestyle. They can't relate, they don't feel comfortable around him, they don't buy into his leadership culture. He doesn't swear. Doesn't drink. That's all.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I didn't say stability. I said he alienates himself from his teammates because he's not "one of the guys" due to his super religious lifestyle. They can't relate, they don't feel comfortable around him, they don't buy into his leadership culture. He doesn't swear. Doesn't drink. That's all.
Is that a fact....or are you making assumptions? Were there leadership issues with Carr? I had never heard there were locker room issues with him.

Lots of football players don't drink and swear...I can't imagine that matters if you have a strong work ethic and talent. His durability says he is competitive...and a good team guy. Do you really think Elijah Moore would have a problem with Carr if he got him the ball but he wouldn't have a beer with him?

Your concerns that Carr didn't get the Raiders into the playoffs more frequently...or that he throws an inopportune interception are valid. Being too religious doesn't seem like a valid concern to me.

Reaction Score

You clearly have zero understanding of the demographics of an NFL locker room.

Just because it makes you uncomfortable does not mean it makes everyone else uncomfortable.

Reaction Score
Is that a fact....or are you making assumptions? Were there leadership issues with Carr? I had never heard there were locker room issues with him.

Lots of football players don't drink and swear...I can't imagine that matters if you have a strong work ethic and talent. His durability says he is competitive...and a good team guy. Do you really think Elijah Moore would have a problem with Carr if he got him the ball but he wouldn't have a beer with him?

Your concerns that Carr didn't get the Raiders into the playoffs more frequently...or that he throws an inopportune interception are valid. Being too religious doesn't seem like a valid concern to me.
Carr and Devante Adams are best friends. Elijah Moore's twitter bio is simply "God body" and his account is full of religious passages.

Garrett Wilson is very religious, here listen to him on Faith on the Field podcast: ‎Faith on the Field Show Podcast: Episode 212: No Adjustments (Garrett Wilson) on Apple Podcasts

A lot of hot takes are thrown around but Carr being "too religious" so teammates wont like him may take the cake.

Reaction Score
You clearly have zero understanding of the demographics of an NFL locker room.

Just because it makes you uncomfortable does not mean it makes everyone else uncomfortable.
So educate me. Walk me through your first hand knowledge of an NFL locker room.

Reaction Score
So educate me. Walk me through your first hand knowledge of an NFL locker room.

Walk me through yours. You made the statement. You provided zero support for it. I already provided you evidence on how it was wrong. Or just keep throwing things out with nothing to support it by, your call.

As an FYI you may want to do just minimal research on the demographics of an NFL locker room and this will help you out a little.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom