The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Any Jets fan takes on this?

I don't think it means anything. Coach speak. What else is he going to say? He needs to keep Wilson propped up to either help trade value or to help his confidence going into next year as a backup.

There is no way Douglas and Saleh are staking their jobs on Zach Wilson figuring it out and becoming a quality quarterback next year. Because if the Jets don't make the playoffs next year, both of them are unemployed.

Douglas made a devastating error in picking Wilson. He can't compound it by giving Wilson another year. This team is close....there is a good core of young talent....they need a real quarterback to get them over the hump...and it has to happen next year. Wilson may figure it out...but they can't go into the 2023 season hoping it happens.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So Lefleur now admits that Wilson shouldn't have started in his rookie season. He said he wasn't ready. Not only did he start...they didn't even have a veteran quarterback on the team to help him.

Looking back on last year... Saleh and Lefleur really showed their lack of experience. Saleh is a defensive coach.... Lafleur is a first time coordinator...and they trusted the development of their #2 pick to those two. I know that Knapp's unfortunate death impacted their plan. But It seems like they didn't put Zach in the best position to succeed.

Despite this...it doesn't mean Zach is an NFL QB.

Reaction Score
I think there is definitely a different expectation of college QB's early on now. Brett Favre was not a starter for the Falcons and got traded to the Packers. Aaron Rodgers was on the sidelines for 3 seasons in Green Bay.

So teams expect their QB's to mature must faster.....but the rub there is look at the typical resume of the perennial Super Bowl caliber QB's - Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben, Warner - pocket QB's older and seasoned and able to read complex defenses.

I think Saleh has a point.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think there is definitely a different expectation of college QB's early on now. Brett Favre was not a starter for the Falcons and got traded to the Packers. Aaron Rodgers was on the sidelines for 3 seasons in Green Bay.

So teams expect their QB's to mature must faster.....but the rub there is look at the typical resume of the perennial Super Bowl caliber QB's - Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben, Warner - pocket QB's older and seasoned and able to read complex defenses.

Do you think Zach is salvageable?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Mahomes didn't start either, sat behind Alex Smith for a year. Brady & Brees didn't. Most of the best QBs didn't start immediately, or if they did, weren't very good (P Manning, Hurts, Allen, Tua). Wilson's biggest knock was lack of experience, and that he was at BYU and didn't see as much diversity in defensive or offensive schemes. He should never have been tabbed as a rookie starter. Likewise Trey Lance. 49ers sat him last year, named him starter this year, and when he got hurt it was very clear that Jimmy G was better.

Reaction Score
Do you think Zach is salvageable?
Not in NY.

I have been slightly impressed watching Sam Darnold the last month. They're focused on running and he's not doing anything crazy, but his decisionmaking and throws have looked pretty solid and Carolina has played good teams tough. Could you see the same with Wilson somewhere else? I guess. I mean, Baker Mayfield actually looks effective with the Rams after looking like garbage everywhere else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not in NY.

I have been slightly impressed watching Sam Darnold the last month. They're focused on running and he's not doing anything crazy, but his decisionmaking and throws have looked pretty solid and Carolina has played good teams tough. Could you see the same with Wilson somewhere else? I guess. I mean, Baker Mayfield actually looks effective with the Rams after looking like garbage everywhere else.
Tannehill stunk in Miami. Drew Brees was not impressive his first two seasons in San Diego. Wilson absolutely has the talent to be a good starter. I think a year as backup in NY might make him viable for the Jets again. Maybe your starter gets hurt and he comes in and is good. NY going to reject him?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Tannehill stunk in Miami. Drew Brees was not impressive his first two seasons in San Diego. Wilson absolutely has the talent to be a good starter. I think a year as backup in NY might make him viable for the Jets again. Maybe your starter gets hurt and he comes in and is good. NY going to reject him?
Wilson has arm talent...but does he have leadership capability?

His comments about not taking ownership of his failures will stick with NY fans. He tried to clean it up, but it just validated why he wasn't originally voted captain at BYU.

He is only 23...so he deserves a chance to grow up...and NY loves a comeback story...but it will be a tough hill to climb.

From Saleh's comments....it feels like Wilson will probably stay in NY as a backup....he is still on his rookie contract. But I still don't believe that they will expect him to be their starter.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Well...I would like to retract my previous thoughts...lol....Mike White is not an option for the future. I don't know how a guy can look so good and so bad in the same season. But...the bottom line is that he isn't consistent... and I wonder if he is even a viable backup. He had the respect of his teammates..but he couldn't deliver on the field.

I had previously defended Lafleur...but there is some growth needed at OC also.

Also...how about the defense getting a turnover? That seemed to disappear the last couple months.

It's amazing how much both UConn and the Jets fizzled out at the end. I had about three weeks where I enjoyed football on both Saturday and Sunday.

Oh well...next year. Jets might as well lose their last game to help their draft position. And they need an OL or three.
Ok...so now we find out that White was injured in the second quarter against Seattle. He proceeded to have a bad second half.

So...why didn't they pull him for Flacco? I know Flacco is bad....but an injured White was worse.

Reaction Score
Flacco gave pretty much what you would expect. Three straight games without a TD. A promising season turns to dust.

Reaction Score
I am a proponent of having a rookie QB sit and learn from an experienced QB. I know it is not done too much nowadays,b ut these rookies have no clue how to manage a game. They get flustered too easily and keep making the same mistakes. Wilson needs to get some maturity from the vets on the team and Flacco is one to ask questions. Maybe he doesn't listen very well because he is all over the place. Starts out like he has a handle on things and soon after back to making mistakes. I don't know the answer except to say that he is a mess.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Flacco gave pretty much what you would expect. Three straight games without a TD. A promising season turns to dust.
20 rush attempts for 38 yards. Miami has a good rush D, but that's ridiculous.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
20 rush attempts for 38 yards. Miami has a good rush D, but that's ridiculous.
Offensive line is devastated by injuries. Bad day rushing is expected. But....they haven't been able to run for weeks.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I am a proponent of having a rookie QB sit and learn from an experienced QB. I know it is not done too much nowadays,b ut these rookies have no clue how to manage a game. They get flustered too easily and keep making the same mistakes. Wilson needs to get some maturity from the vets on the team and Flacco is one to ask questions. Maybe he doesn't listen very well because he is all over the place. Starts out like he has a handle on things and soon after back to making mistakes. I don't know the answer except to say that he is a mess.
Dan O made a comment something like "I am not sure if Wilson isn't that smart...or...".

I hope they get a vet and let him sit next year.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Anyone else annoyed the Giants are in the playoffs? The Jets are much better....except at quarterback....sigh. Daboll is obviously a great coach....just disappointing that quarterback play knee capped this team.

Reaction Score
I don't hate the Giants and I don't consider them to be a rival at all. I have too much hate for the Pats and Bills where I can't worry about a team we rarely ever play. And the Giants gave us Tyree....the definitive argument winner when talking to any obnoxious Pats fan.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don't hate the Giants and I don't consider them to be a rival at all. I have too much hate for the Pats and Bills where I can't worry about a team we rarely ever play. And the Giants gave us Tyree....the definitive argument winner when talking to any obnoxious Pats fan.
I don't hate the giants in general...I agree...the Patriots are the most hated.

I just hate that Daboll got them in the playoffs so fast and the Jets are sitting home and watching

Reaction Score
I don't hate the giants in general...I agree...the Patriots are the most hated.

I just hate that Daboll got them in the playoffs so fast and the Jets are sitting home and watching

Blame Zach Wilson for that one.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
It had to be tough for Saleh to fire his best friends brother. But... something had to be done.

It was interesting to hear Saleh say he was open to a new style of offense. I would think they will look for a veteran QB and OC who are compatible. I also think the Shanahan style of offense wasn't suited to Zach. Timing and accuracy aren't his strengths.

So...who will it be...and in what order? OC first....then QB?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Looks like OC first. I would think they will hire an OC with a QB already in mind. Meaning...if the like Carr...get an OC who can work well with Carr.

He said the new coordinator will have input into the quarterback decision.

"We're going to be as aggressive as heck when it comes to quarterback play," he said, "and make sure we do everything we can to satisfy that position."

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Looks like OC first. I would think they will hire an OC with a QB already in mind. Meaning...if the like Carr...get an OC who can work well with Carr.

He said the new coordinator will have input into the quarterback decision.

"We're going to be as aggressive as heck when it comes to quarterback play," he said, "and make sure we do everything we can to satisfy that position."

So....now we are hearing the Jets OC position is not desirable because they don't have a QB.

Thats the tough part about hiring an OC first. But...I guess the timing is the timing. If the Jets wait for FA window...it might be too late for a good OC.

So what do they do...wait until they get a QB and risk losing top choices? Hire someone further down the list and hope they can make a QB and OC marriage work?

Greg Olson seems like a good option...who can hopefully help them land Carr. And he isn't the young up and coming OC that everyone covets. Jets need experience on that staff.

I see Roman was let go in Baltimore...and speculation he could go somewhere with Lamar Jackson. I will say that I am not interested in Lamar Jackson or any dual threat QB. Mobile QB yes....dual threat no. They get injured too often. What good is Lamar Jackson helping you win the first 10 games if he can't play in the playoffs? If I was Chicago, I am drafting Bryce Young. Fields is already injured. That's not going to change...he will keep getting injured. And if he doesn't run....his value decreases.

Should be interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom