The Official 2022 Mets Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 Mets Thread

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
As a Braves fan, I still give the Mets a slight (very slight) edge in a playoff series. Having to go against DeGrom and Scherzer can put you in a nice hole to try and come back from. You have to get those guys out of the game early and make the Mets rely on their bullpen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As a Braves fan, I still give the Mets a slight (very slight) edge in a playoff series. Having to go against DeGrom and Scherzer can put you in a nice hole to try and come back from. You have to get those guys out of the game early and make the Mets rely on their bullpen.
They wouldn’t play each other until after one of them has already played a series, and if it’s the Mets who have to play a series first, they probably won’t be able to set their rotation up the way they would like.

Also, deGrom won’t go deep, and Scherzer is ailing again. So you will get to our bullpen early with both of them. And that is not a strength, to put it mildly.

Reaction Score
They wouldn’t play each other until after one of them has already played a series, and if it’s the Mets who have to play a series first, they probably won’t be able to set their rotation up the way they would like.

Also, deGrom won’t go deep, and Scherzer is ailing again. So you will get to our bullpen early with both of them. And that is not a strength, to put it mildly.
I wouldn't worry too much about the bullpen, the Mets have the 2nd best bullpen ERA and 3rd most WAR from their RPs. It's a very good bullpen. Granted it's Atlanta and the Dodgers ahead of them so it'll be tough competition

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about the bullpen, the Mets have the 2nd best bullpen ERA and 3rd most WAR from their RPs. It's a very good bullpen. Granted it's Atlanta and the Dodgers ahead of them so it'll be tough competition
Outside of Diaz and Ottavino, I’m worried anytime we have to go to the pen.

Reaction Score
Outside of Diaz and Ottavino, I’m worried anytime we have to go to the pen.
Lugo should be in that 1st group too, he's been very good this year. And those guys should be getting like 75% of the bullpen innings come postseason time with the rest going to SPs not in the top 4. The bigger concern for me is that Buck still has zero clue how to manage a bullpen

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lugo should be in that 1st group too, he's been very good this year. And those guys should be getting like 75% of the bullpen innings come postseason time with the rest going to SPs not in the top 4. The bigger concern for me is that Buck still has zero clue how to manage a bullpen
I debated whether to include Lugo; last season he was my favorite reliever, but he has been inconsistent this season. He is still better than the rest, though.

I place our current slide more on lack of offense than anything else.

Let's hope we break out of it today, with a chance to regain the division lead.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score

Forgot about the new playoff setup. If everything stays the same they would not meet until the NLCS, if they both get that far. Winning the division will be huge for either to avoid the Dodgers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We can’t have nice things

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I"m confused: If he is on the 15-day IL, don't they need to keep him out for at least 15 days, retroactive to his last start?

Reaction Score
I"m confused: If he is on the 15-day IL, don't they need to keep him out for at least 15 days, retroactive to his last start?
Yeah so he's eligible to come back the 18th, should only miss 1 start but the Mets wanted the extra arm up so he went on the IL

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah so he's eligible to come back the 18th, should only miss 1-2 starts
Thanks. 15 days is still "weeks," which is why I was confused by Scherzer's comment.

I get that he's trying to minimize it, but the facts are the facts.

Reaction Score
You realize Contreras on the Braves walks up to Narco? The Mets thought the Braves were trolling them when Contreras hit a HR in their last series and they played Narco while he was rounding the bases. Well this time the Braves did troll the Mets. Just giving them what they asked for.

I know Contreras uses it as his walk up. That has nothing to do with them playing it in a rain delay showing the Mets loss on the big screen.

And maybe we’d do the chop in return but it’s racist.

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you what: Bassitt is the unsung hero of this starting rotation.

If I play out a full 7 games where we enter it as we want:

Jake
Max
Bassitt
Cookie
Jake
Max
Bassitt

If a team got through Jake and max twice and got to a game 7? I have no issues trotting Bassitt out there.

And as a food lover, you should follow him on Instagram. He is a big time food guy and is all over the NY restaurant scene.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget Megill who’s looking very good in the rehab to come in from the pen. And probably Walker.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
I know Contreras uses it as his walk up. That has nothing to do with them playing it in a rain delay showing the Mets loss on the big screen.

And maybe we’d do the chop in return but it’s racist.

They played it because the Mets announcers and fans were saying the Braves were trolling them when Contreras hit a HR against the Mets, when that was not the case at all. This time it was and is just a little rivalry fun.

I think the chip being "racist" is such an overblown thing. The Mets can do it in return to the Braves, just part of the gamesmanship of a rivalry in a pennant race. It would not bother me. The only team I cannot stand in the NL East is the Phillies. If the Mets are still standing when/if the Braves get eliminated, I will be routing for them.

Reaction Score
I think the chip being "racist" is such an overblown thing. The Mets can do it in return to the Braves, just part of the gamesmanship of a rivalry in a pennant race. It would not bother me. The only team I cannot stand in the NL East is the Phillies. If the Mets are still standing when/if the Braves get eliminated, I will be routing for them.
It is racist. You can say it's overblown because it's your team. Cleveland changed their name from "Indians". Local high schools are changing their mascots away from names like Warriors or Chieftains.
Chanting like an indian brave and mimicking the chopping of a tomahawk is racist. Really not even a discussion.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
I fail to see how names like Indians, Warriors, Cheiftains, Braves, Seminoles, and others of the like are offensive but I do not discount the standpoint you are making about team names or the insensitivity of the chant/chop. I say overblown because historically war cries and chants were common place for many groups not just the Native Americans. It was something they did, not something created to mock them.

If towns/teams want to change their names I am fine with that, but I do not believe they should be forced to, unless they are like the Washington Commanders previous name which definitely needed to go.

The Braves organization has stopped handing out foam tomahawks and playing the war drums at games so they have acknowledged the outcries of insensitivity.

But let's get back to baseball. It is going to be a great race to the finish and that Sept. 30-Oct. 2 series in ATL should be fantastic.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I fail to see how names like Indians, Warriors, Cheiftains, Braves, Seminoles, and others of the like are offensive but I do not discount the standpoint you are making about team names or the insensitivity of the chant/chop. I say overblown because historically war cries and chants were common place for many groups not just the Native Americans. It was something they did, not something created to mock them.

If towns/teams want to change their names I am fine with that, but I do not believe they should be forced to, unless they are like the Washington Commanders previous name which definitely needed to go.

The Braves organization has stopped handing out foam tomahawks and playing the war drums at games so they have acknowledged the outcries of insensitivity.

But let's get back to baseball. It is going to be a great race to the finish and that Sept. 30-Oct. 2 series in ATL should be fantastic.

I wanted this thread to stay baseball related but now that the genie's out of the bottle...

The chant is definitely racist, it wasn't created to mock native Americans but you've got a stadium full of 90+% white people doing a native American chant while doing a tomahawk chop. This from an organization that used to have a native American mascot called "Chief Nockahoma." I mean come on.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Buck’s bullpen management strikes again
No idea why Buck went with Joely there, but Eppler has a role in this, too. He did jack to bolster the pen.

Those conservative trade deadline moves—more accurately non-moves—have been coming home to roost on both sides of the plate.

To the extent that Gary was just suggesting that Buck might be smart not to push the team when they are going to make the playoffs irrespective, I 100% disagree. Winning the division is a big difference vs. the wildcard and I think we should absolutely be playing to win the division.

We are no longer in first place. I guess it was inevitable.

Reaction Score
No idea why Buck went with Joely there, but Eppler has a role in this, too. He did jack to bolster the pen.

Those conservative trade deadline moves—more accurately non-moves—have been coming home to roost on both sides of the plate.

To the extent that Gary was just suggesting that Buck might be smart not to push the team when they are going to make the playoffs irrespective, I 100% disagree. Winning the division is a big difference vs. the wildcard and I think we should absolutely be playing to win the division.

We are no longer in first place. I guess it was inevitable.
Yeah Eppler could have done more, and definitely should have. But I still put this mostly on Buck when he repeatedly refuses to go to his top relievers. I might give him the benefit of the doubt if it wasn’t what ran him out of all his previous jobs too.

Still in 1st place for now though, pending the Braves game tonight. They’ll probably end up winning though so it’ll be accurate soon enough. Agreed they should be trying to win the division though, getting that 2nd bye is huge

Reaction Score
Time for everybody to take a few steps away from the ledge? That was a nice end to the weekend. About time Atlanta came down to earth a little bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom