The Official 2019 Mets Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

The Official 2019 Mets Thread

Reaction Score
I don’t know how I feel about this if true. I hated him as a player and he seemed like a creep as a person, but he’s been a brilliant analyst and knows the game as well as anyone I’ve ever heard.

And J Lo is hawt, so there’s that.
Counterpoint, he said this.

Reaction Score
I heard the "blockbuster" was AJ Hinch who's apparently very tight with BVW. Just waiting for the Astros to lose....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I heard the "blockbuster" was AJ Hinch who's apparently very tight with BVW. Just waiting for the Astros to lose....

werent they like college roommates?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Counterpoint, he said this.

Wow. Had to listen to that a few times to make sure it made as little sense as I thought it did.

Well, ok then. He has said some smart things and some not so smart things. Sounds like he’s destined for us then.

Reaction Score
Wow. Had to listen to that a few times to make sure it made as little sense as I thought it did.

Well, ok then. He has said some smart things and some not so smart things. Sounds like he’s destined for us then.
I'm not even sure what rumors to believe at this point. Some are saying Tim Bogar, some are saying AJ Hinch is leaving HOU to come. Just ready for this to be over with

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Beltran it is. Looks like BVW just wants to call the shots.

Reaction Score
Best news I've heard all week. Was getting worried they'd mess it up

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Best news I've heard all week. Was getting worried they'd mess it up
I'm not sure they didn't. We already have a GM whose sum total experience was being an agent and has one mixed season on the job, and now we are hiring a manager who has never coached or managed at any level for a day in his life, and whose most memorable legacy as a player is taking called third strikes to end the postseason for his teams.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure they didn't. We already have a GM whose sum total experience was being an agent and has one mixed season on the job, and now we are hiring a manager who has never coached or managed at any level for a day in his life, and whose most memorable legacy as a player is taking called third strikes to end the postseason for his teams.
Experience as a manager is incredibly overrated now. He's arguably the best position player to ever play for the Mets, holding 1 AB against him is crazy. How many teams in the playoffs this year had a manager who was hired as his 1st job?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Experience as a manager is incredibly overrated now. He's arguably the best position player to ever play for the Mets, holding 1 AB against him is crazy. How many teams in the playoffs this year had a manager who was hired as his 1st job?
If the manager has no experience and the general manager has almost no experience, and the owners are the Wilpons, where, exactly, is the experience supposed to come from? I'm sorry, but I think it matters. And I don't have the warm fuzzies about Beltran as a player. He wanted to be a Yankee before and after his time with the Mets, and he still wants to be one now. I'll hope for the best but I don't love the hire.

Reaction Score
If the manager has no experience and the general manager has almost no experience, and the owners are the Wilpons, where, exactly, is the experience supposed to come from? I'm sorry, but I think it matters. And I don't have the warm fuzzies about Beltran as a player. He wanted to be a Yankee before and after his time with the Mets, and he still wants to be one now. I'll hope for the best but I don't love the hire.
The experience will come from nowhere because it doesn't matter. The answer to my question about was 8 of 10. From your last post it's clear you don't view Beltran rationally so I'm done here

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The experience will come from nowhere because it doesn't matter.
Yeah we disagree on this. Did those 8 of 10 also have first year GMs with no prior experience?

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Not trying to be smart, but genuinely curious, as it's a sentiment I'd expect from a millennial or younger.

Reaction Score
Yeah we disagree on this. Did those 8 of 10 also have first year GMs with no prior experience?

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Not trying to be smart, but genuinely curious, as it's a sentiment I'd expect from a millennial or younger.
They didn't have first year GMs, but a few had 2nd and 3rd year GMs. Granted it's a little different because they're not coming from the same path as Brodie. I'm 25

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They didn't have first year GMs, but a few had 2nd and 3rd year GMs. Granted it's a little different because they're not coming from the same path as Brodie. I'm 25
It’s a bold move, I’ll give him that. I’m just concerned that the brain trust seems to be limited to Jeff Wilpon and Brodie. Which means we’re relying solely on Brodie at this point, and I think the kindest thing you could say about his performance is that the jury is out. Being critical, you could say that the reasons we did well when we did (especially Alonso, McNeil) were not attributable to him, and the reasons we struggled when we did were (Cano, Diaz)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not a Mets fan but I read that article describing how the GM is making in-game decisions. I don't think that's healthy for a team and now he's put in his yes-man. Is the guy a savant?

Reaction Score
I'm not a Mets fan but I read that article describing how the GM is making in-game decisions. I don't think that's healthy for a team and now he's put in his yes-man. Is the guy a savant?
I don't love it but that's pretty much the standard with most teams now. The GM scripts the game before it happens and makes the call on most decisions

Reaction Score

That doesn't concern me as much as bullpen usage does. Callaway was supposed to be a pitching guy and I'm not sure he made any pitcher better and the pen was atrocious in total.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Interesting...

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Interesting...
Surprised no mention of Syndergard. That's who I'd expect the Mets to move for one of those pieces.

Reaction Score
Surprised no mention of Syndergard. That's who I'd expect the Mets to move for one of those pieces.
They very briefly mention it but not much since Brodie said he's staying. I'm all for bringing back Wheeler and trading Syndergaard for Betts or Bryant

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
BTW Worst offensive line in football . Worse than UConn. The other former occupants of Shea Stadium

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Damn, Wheeler to the Phillies. That's gonna hurt.

Reaction Score
a) With all the money dedicated to Harper last year, they simply weren't paying Cole or Strasburg. Wheeler was the cheaper pitching solution for Philly.

b) Letting Wheeler go (and having him end up at our rival) puts extra stress on Thor and Stroman that they better raise their games behind DeGrom next year. 10-8 with a 4.28 ERA ain't gonna cut it for Noah anymore.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
a) With all the money dedicated to Harper last year, they simply weren't paying Cole or Strasburg. Wheeler was the cheaper pitching solution for Philly.

b) Letting Wheeler go (and having him end up at our rival) puts extra stress on Thor and Stroman that they better raise their games behind DeGrom next year. 10-8 with a 4.28 ERA ain't gonna cut it for Noah anymore.
Again, I would much rather see Thor go in a trade now while we still have him under team control and can get something in return for him. Although I suppose pitching in his walk year might motivate him to raise his game next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom