The Official 2016 Mets Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 Mets Thread

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm reading that Cabrera is likely done for the season.

Bruce is still not a done deal, either, apparently. There was a medical issue with one of the other Mets prospects in the deal and they are trying to rework it.

I wouldn't mind if it falls through and we can get back in play for Lucroy. I like that deal better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Crap. Looks like Dilson Herrera (and Max Wotell), not Nimmo in the deal for Bruce.

I don't like that.

Reaction Score
Crap. Looks like Dilson Herrera (and Max Wotell), not Nimmo in the deal for Bruce.

I don't like that.

As someone who doesn't follow the Mets at all, what's the deal with Herrera? Big time upside?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jon Niese is back (swapped for Bastardo)!
niesewife-300x356.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As someone who doesn't follow the Mets at all, what's the deal with Herrera? Big time upside?
He's been marketed as our second baseman of the future for a few years and was said to be the reason Daniel Murphy was somewhat expendable in the Mets view because Herrera was seen as a defensive upgrade with the potential to be a reliable bat (of course no one expected Murph to continue to consistently produce offensively the way he has this season, or else it would have been a no-brainer to keep him). Herrera came up a few times to spell Murphy and did well but not great and the question has remained how ready he is to produce offensively in the bigs, and he's had an inconsistent (but improving) season in Vegas this year. He probably should be starting somewhere in the majors to get a fair shake, but when the Mets acquired Neil Walker Herrera was blocked.

It is somewhat telling that they didn't even consider him when Wright went down for the season (could have moved Walker to third), so it may be that they are not sold on his offense, which is clearly a concern for us now.

As a trade piece for Bruce, he's a lot less valuable than Zack Wheeler imo, and that's who Cincy wanted for Bruce last year, so I'm happy we at least got a better deal this time.

Reaction Score
I like the move less with Herrera sent instead of Nimmo. Herrera saw MLB time at age 20 and is still pretty raw but young and I think, has a bigger shot at being more valuable. I still think that Bruce and Niese are additions that were the right caliber move where this team is right now and where we seem positioned for the next couple years. And basically trading Bastardo for Walker is a good get by Sandy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Assuming Cabrera is back in a couple weeks, Duda soon as well.
Duda done for the season now too.

So...anyone heading in for the game at Citi when Styx plays afterwards? Jeez, that's even sadder than the state of the team right now.

Reaction Score
Duda done for the season now too.

So...anyone heading in for the game at Citi when Styx plays afterwards? Jeez, that's even sadder than the state of the team right now.

I'm gonna be honest. I don't think they lose much overall with Loney over Duda. And I loved Mr. Roboto.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm gonna be honest. I don't think they lose much overall with Loney over Duda. And I loved Mr. Roboto.
Ha!

I agree with you about Duda and have felt that way since we got Loney. I was pushing for us to move Duda last offseason because I think his days of being a consistent offensive threat are long gone. Streaky is one thing, but I can't remember his last hot streak.

I hated Styx and consider "Mr. Roboto" the second worst song of all time, behind only Starship's "We Built this City."

PS: This game is killing me. So many blown chances. So many strikes on takes. Would have been a nice time for Bruce to get his first hit.

Reaction Score
Wow, is it that easy to get into Robles head? I'm a Yanks fan so don't know much about him, is he usually like that?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wow, is it that easy to get into Robles head? I'm a Yanks fan so don't know much about him, is he usually like that?
He's a bit of a wild card/punk imo. He can be nasty and he's used to being in control, but he screws around with the quick pitch crap, which I hate, and he's got a bit of a rep now so he's ripe for the picking for guys like Texiera who don't take any crap.

Tex was clearly still pissed from getting plunked by Matz, which was definitely a mistake imo. Matz is a good kid and that clearly just got away from him, but you could see that Tex was still mad even after his initial outburst, as he went into second with a little extra gusto to do some damage when he was trying to break up the double play that inning. He got his revenge the next time around though by totally messing with Robles.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Our defense is now worse than our offense. And that's saying something.

Reaction Score
Wow. For the contributions they've made all season, Robles and Familia have had a couple gut punch innings the last couple weeks. They're almost singlehandedly edging us out of the race.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yep, sooooo glad we turned down Conforto for Lucroy. d'Arnaud is the real deal. I think AZ just stole 4 more bases and the game was over
20 hrs ago.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Of all the problems we have, I'm going to beat on that pancake of a dead horse I've been beating all season and repeat that the catcher is the biggest. Even if we somehow manage to grab the wild card, which is almost out of reach given the number of other teams competing, there is no way we can survive a playoff series with d'Arnaud as starting catcher. Rivera is a slight defensive upgrade, but he's clearly not the answer. This needs to be priority No. 1 in the off-season.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Of all the problems we have, I'm going to beat on that pancake of a dead horse I've been beating all season and repeat that the catcher is the biggest. Even if we somehow manage to grab the wild card, which is almost out of reach given the number of other teams competing, there is no way we can survive a playoff series with d'Arnaud as starting catcher. Rivera is a slight defensive upgrade, but he's clearly not the answer. This needs to be priority No. 1 in the off-season.

We have been rehashing this over and over. He is the worst. Put this in the Colon thread as well. 11 ribbies all year and cannot bunt or throw anyone out.
It's getting late in the season, the division is over. Wild card an outside shot. But with D'aza and Reynolds, Ty Kelly and Flores in the lineup ? And d'Arnaud?
Not pretty

Reaction Score
The only silver lining is the calendar. August 12th. Obviously they can't make the charge with this lineup, but I gotta hope help arrives soon. Every time I check the box score, I wince when the page is refreshing right now.

Reaction Score
As a Sox fan who listens to Mets talk incessantly, unfortunately

I love seeing how bad d'Arnaud and Conforto are

Incredibly cocky and unlikeable players, once the full reports get out on guys like Conforto he has to basically start from scratch

Pitchers much better

Reaction Score
I am so disgusted with them this year, after a fairy tale ride last year I'm all set for a while.. Time for Terry Collins to go though, he's run his course here.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Need to make lemonade with lemons now, cause sure as sheet we got lotsa lemons. Need the hippie to throw a shutout tonight.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Anyone watching? Reed great 8th.
We know Familia.

Alum86

Reaction Score
A blown save. I know he is the closer but he sucks lately.
I hate this game.
Go Mets btn 9th

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
RIP Choo Choo Coleman

Inimitable.

Host Ralph Kiner liked to tell the story, during game broadcasts, about how Choo-Choo didn't say much and was very hard to interview. Coleman also had a bad memory for names, and called everybody "Bub". Ralph explained that he had run out of questions for Coleman, so he asked Choo-Choo, "What's your wife's name and what's she like?" Choo-Choo replied "My wife's name is Mrs. Coleman and she likes me, Bub."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom