The Official 2015 Yankees Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Yankees Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is the perfect solution. Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval for Chase Headley and Jacoby Ellsbury. At least it would be a new look. Pablo could "anchor" the infield and Hanley could DH. Between them they could hit 50 hrs.:rolleyes:

Great solution, each could have new anchors to deal with rather than rusty ones. And you get a guy who will play about 110 games and we get the same and also each receive 3rd baseman who make errors and go on prolonged slumps - perfect. And around and around we go :eek:

Reaction Score
Papi - Derek Jeter/Kobe Bryant? Why? You guys are whacked he deserves nothing of the sort he's a DH they are full time players, no comparison sorry Deac. Maybe compare him to Harold Baines, Vlady Guerrero or Bill Walton near the end of his Celts contracts but not Derek or even an inured Kobe.
This semi-hysterical line of criticism is a tad more reality based than your attack on Ortiz for not being clutch.

Reaction Score
This semi-hysterical line of criticism is a tad more reality based than your attack on Ortiz for not being clutch.

Geez deac not sure I said he wasn't clutch please point that out to me? I said he sucked the 1st half of the year which he did, or tell me he didn't in case he was much better than I thought?

I guess I should have said he was great the 2nd half of the year and without Sir Clutches they would have finished 25 games out of 1st rather than 15 - my bad Deac! :eek:

Reaction Score
Geez deac not sure I said he wasn't clutch please point that out to me? I said he sucked the 1st half of the year which he did, or tell me he didn't in case he was much better than I thought?

I guess I should have said he was great the 2nd half of the year and without Sir Clutches they would have finished 25 games out of 1st rather than 15 - my bad Deac! :eek:
I was making an inference* based on you assertion that Ortiz performed poorly when the Sox needed help and better only once the team was better. There may be some causal relation that you are denying in the latter, but equally I'd argue the former was mostly out of his control anyway. Regardless, my point is he's got some built up goodwill for performing in key spots and for being the franchise's star.

I didn't say Ortiz was the equivalent player or talent of a Kobe or Jeter, just that his pay in his declining years was similarly based more on past performance than current. Let's use Dirk Nowitzki as the comp (not as many titles, but similar one-way player ;)

*Inference - the reasoning involved in drawing a conclusion or making a logical judgment on the basis of evidence and prior conclusions rather than on the basis of direct observation

Reaction Score
I was making an inference* based on you assertion that Ortiz performed poorly when the Sox needed help and better only once the team was better. There may be some causal relation that you are denying in the latter, but equally I'd argue the former was mostly out of his control anyway. Regardless, my point is he's got some built up goodwill for performing in key spots and for being the franchise's star.

I didn't say Ortiz was the equivalent player or talent of a Kobe or Jeter, just that his pay in his declining years was similarly based more on past performance than current. Let's use Dirk Nowitzki as the comp (not as many titles, but similar one-way player ;)

*Inference - the reasoning involved in drawing a conclusion or making a logical judgment on the basis of evidence and prior conclusions rather than on the basis of direct observation

It's a Yankees thread who cares about Papi? ;)

And it's college basketball time, who cares about baseball? :D

Reaction Score
His numbers ended up great didn't they? But tell me how he wasn't part of the reason they fell behind so badly in the 1st half floating around the Mendoza line with little or no "Pap" in his bat. Maybe the testing stopped who knows and it started for ARod, but the reality is when the boat was sinking first half Papi wasn't there either. And when asked to play 1st base to help the line up he cried. Great teammate.

He did make a run though to help them try to get out of the basement - impressive!
Everyone was part of the reason they tanked in the first half. One day the pitching was bad, the next hitting was bad or they would blow games with bad D. Ortiz had an excellent year. Hanley and Sandoval stunk up Fenway. It all ended up being for the best as the Sox played their kids. The Sox still need bullpen help, a starter, and probably RH power hitter.
The Yankees had an excellent season especially your buddy Arod. They just got old by the end of the season and with age came the injuries. The Yankees have to get a lot younger.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The Yankees have a lot of good, young starters and relievers. They have youth on first & short and 2nd (if you count Ref) They will get a third baseman and they have good outfielders in the system. They stuck themselves in center and will have to live with that. All their other bloated contracts are nearing their end.
Yankees are in fine shape and, surprisingly, have a lot of youth. Tex, CC and A-Rod will still be there but will not be central.

Reaction Score
Everyone was part of the reason they tanked in the first half. One day the pitching was bad, the next hitting was bad or they would blow games with bad D. Ortiz had an excellent year. Hanley and Sandoval stunk up Fenway. It all ended up being for the best as the Sox played their kids. The Sox still need bullpen help, a starter, and probably RH power hitter.
The Yankees had an excellent season especially your buddy Arod. They just got old by the end of the season and with age came the injuries. The Yankees have to get a lot younger.

Ortiz BLEW the 1st half of the year it's hysterical you tools are okay with that, seriously. But they that's Sox fans. The guy doesn't run out ground balls EVER, he didn't want to help the team by playing 1st base because "he's old" (from what eating hot dogs while DH'ing?) yet you guys all love the piece of crap ? Amazing:confused:

Reaction Score
Ortiz's first-half OPS was 762. Is that great or really good or even good? Well its above the average OPS. But I wouldn't say he "blew". That's ridiculous.

I don't care if an old, overweight guy who has achilles injuries in the past doesn't run out grounders.

A-Rod didn't want to play 1B this year either when the Yankees tried him out there. Dump some vitriol on him while you're at it.

Reaction Score
The Yankees have a lot of good, young starters and relievers. They have youth on first & short and 2nd (if you count Ref) They will get a third baseman and they have good outfielders in the system. They stuck themselves in center and will have to live with that. All their other bloated contracts are nearing their end.
Yankees are in fine shape and, surprisingly, have a lot of youth. Tex, CC and A-Rod will still be there but will not be central.
They can't go after a 3B, they have Headley for 3 more years.

Their young pitching is very good. Bird should be very good - although you may not see much of him in 2016 depending on the old guys.....Refsnyder should be a good hitter but his defense is lacking and that's important up the middle. I'd say maybe his future is at 3B but Headley is there..so who knows with him.

So youth at 1B in 2017, while in 2016 you have youth at SS, maybe at 2B. Guys in their 30's are McCann, Teix, Headley, Gardner, ELlsbury, Beltran, A-Rod with CC as the #4 or 5 guy.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Gardner and Els are only 32. I worry about Els' injuries but not his age yet . CC has 1 more year , right? Beltran & Tex 2 more? It can shape up pretty well.
But we can't leave Bird waiting for 2 years. He has to get at bats. And I think we have to get a new 3rd baseman. Trade Headley if you can, platoon him if you must. But we need more out of our infield

Reaction Score
Ortiz's first-half OPS was 762. Is that great or really good or even good? Well its above the average OPS. But I wouldn't say he "blew". That's ridiculous.

I don't care if an old, overweight guy who has achilles injuries in the past doesn't run out grounders.

A-Rod didn't want to play 1B this year either when the Yankees tried him out there. Dump some vitriol on him while you're at it.

Because he's not a first baseman and he played int he field all of his life please let's not compare an athlete at 40 years old to a DH - it's ridiculous. And Papi did BLOW, he was awful batting near or under the mendoza line while his team was falling out of the race. To deny that is ridiculous. Instead let's say he was really good but not great and he had little or nothing to do with their fall. LOL......he didn't run out grounders when is achilles was fine - the denial from you guys go's way back I am wasting cyber space. And I'm sure the bat began to explode again just because he's great! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Gardner and Els are only 32. I worry about Els' injuries but not his age yet . CC has 1 more year , right? Beltran & Tex 2 more? It can shape up pretty well.
But we can't leave Bird waiting for 2 years. He has to get at bats. And I think we have to get a new 3rd baseman. Trade Headley if you can, platoon him if you must. But we need more out of our infield

Huge trouble as everyone knows they need to get younger. Didn't like the Headley deal although for a while it looked great he went back to who he is, a.240 hitter with little pop and a crappy arm. Gardner, well you know my deal, overrated but not as bad a contract as Ellsbury. It now looks like that "speedy" top of the order duo is their undoing as neither are consistent and they don't run anyway (thanks Joe). ARod will have trouble getting to those numbers again as will Tex and Beltran. They are all staying as who wants them? Cashman is on the hot seat and needs to do something immediately, magic or whatever he put himself her now figure a way out. I don't care if they win for 2-3 years change the face of this team. Bird, Refsnyder and others need to be the beginning. Besides a 2 month stretch this team was never fun to watch their offense was painful for the last 2 years, but everyone is still there?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm on the top of the get rid of Cash group. The Els and Headley contracts were huge mistakes. But I admit he has done smaller deals well. Colon, Eovaldi, Pineda and Didi were all good deals. It is the big ones, A-Rod, Els, Beltran. McCann. that go from horrible to questionable, He should have kept Russel Martin.

Going forward, they can't move A-rod, Tex, CC, Beltran Els (and they are stuck with Els for a long time). I think they need to:

1)Get a true #1 pitcher

2)Get a new 3rd baseman (trade-pay part of his salary or demote) Headley

Decide if Ref and Ackley are capable, but I would really like to get Zobris either way. Zobrist can back everyone up, including the outfield.
If Drew isn't gone, he needs to be.

We can't worry about at bats for the old, overpaid guys. If they play great, fine. But we move forward with Bird, Ref, Judge, Severino, Gregorious, Betances, Eovaldi

Our infield was one of the greatest of all time, a few short years ago. This year our infield was so weak. We went from Tex, Cano, Jeter and A-Rod to broken Tex, Drew, Didi and Headley. That is why our run production disappeared.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm on the top of the get rid of Cash group. The Els and Headley contracts were huge mistakes. But I admit he has done smaller deals well. Colon, Eovaldi, Pineda and Didi were all good deals. It is the big ones, A-Rod, Els, Beltran. McCann. that go from horrible to questionable, He should have kept Russel Martin.

Going forward, they can't move A-rod, Tex, CC, Beltran Els (and they are stuck with Els for a long time). I think they need to:

1)Get a true #1 pitcher

2)Get a new 3rd baseman (trade-pay part of his salary or demote) Headley

Decide if Ref and Ackley are capable, but I would really like to get Zobris either way. Zobrist can back everyone up, including the outfield.
If Drew isn't gone, he needs to be.

We can't worry about at bats for the old, overpaid guys. If they play great, fine. But we move forward with Bird, Ref, Judge, Severino, Gregorious, Betances, Eovaldi

Our infield was one of the greatest of all time, a few short years ago. This year our infield was so weak. We went from Tex, Cano, Jeter and A-Rod to broken Tex, Drew, Didi and Headley. That is why our run production disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom