The Official 2015 Red Sox Thread | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Red Sox Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Am I the only fan here, or...?

Hoping that this season is salvageable. Willis seems like he's doing good work with the SPs in the short time he's been here. Very excited for Eduardo Rodriguez's debut - he could be the ace we've been looking for. The offense is killing me though.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Years ago the Sox fans started their own email list.

crickets.jpg

Reaction Score
They rolled the dice with their staff that their offense would be so good it wouldn't matter until they traded for a pitcher at the deadline.

Now their lineup is so bad it may not matter who they trade for at the deadline. I sure as hell wouldn't trade any young talent for a rental right now.

See how it goes for another month and then start selling guys like Napoli and....well I'm not sure who else on this roster we could trade..Uehara? Maybe there's a good team out there that has a lot of nice pieces but a bum for a reliever - like say Seattle.

Maybe we can turn a hot Napoli into the next Eddie Rodriguez or whatever the hell this kid's name is coming up.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
They rolled the dice with their staff that their offense would be so good it wouldn't matter until they traded for a pitcher at the deadline.

Now their lineup is so bad it may not matter who they trade for at the deadline. I sure as hell wouldn't trade any young talent for a rental right now.

See how it goes for another month and then start selling guys like Napoli and....well I'm not sure who else on this roster we could trade..Uehara? Maybe there's a good team out there that has a lot of nice pieces but a bum for a reliever - like say Seattle.

Maybe we can turn a hot Napoli into the next Eddie Rodriguez or whatever the hell this kid's name is coming up.

We actually tried to swap JBJ for a Seattle RP (Charlie Furbush), but that got rejected.

The concept of the "outfield surplus" just frustrates the out of me. How JBJ/Nava/Craig could be considered part of a "surplus" of anything is beyond me. Mookie shows promise but not enough consistency. Given Rusney's cameo last year, I thought he would be much more of an instant-impact bat but he's looked lost the past few games. Victorino don't even get me started on.

I think that pitching will improve with Rodriguez. I also want to see Henry Owens and Brian Johnson getting some starts this summer. Hell, maybe Matt Barnes can get moved back into the rotation if things get desperate enough.

Reaction Score
Wondering about this guy Rodriguez you guys are so high on. Now I'm wondering why?:eek:

Minor's - 3 wins 5 losses in 43 1/3 innings while giving up 46 hits and walking 19 and K'ing 26 all to a 4.15 ERA. What am I missing? (besides the fact that the Yanks could use him lol)

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Wondering about this guy Rodriguez you guys are so high on. Now I'm wondering why?:eek:

Minor's - 3 wins 5 losses in 43 1/3 innings while giving up 46 hits and walking 19 and K'ing 26 all to a 4.15 ERA. What am I missing? (besides the fact that the Yanks could use him lol)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodried05.shtml

You're looking at the wrong Rodriguez. 4-3, 2.98 ERA with 7 walks and 44 strikeouts. Debuted Thursday night and pitched 7+ shutout innings.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Most disappointing/underachieving team in 2015 (Pick 1):

1. Red Sox
2. Tigers
3. Padres
4. Angels
5. Mariners
6. Reds

Some of these teams still have time to turn it around. Some of these teams need to make a deal or two to address some glaring weaknesses. Some of these teams should enter the seller's market soon now that the Draft is complete.

Reaction Score
After these past three games I think it is safe to write the obit on the 2015 Red Sox season. Another terrible series this time at home to a division rival. Farrell seems to have officially lost this team. Gonna be a long summer at Fenway

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I tend to personally skew against any of my teams firing managers/coaches unless it's absolutely necessary, but I want to see what someone else can do at the helm of this ballclub. Something needs to be shaken up.

Reaction Score
Is this a bad team, a poorly managed team or just bad chemistry?

I think we need to start at the top and look at the man who is responsible for assembling this group. Ben Cherrington has made a lot of mistakes in the last several years. I'll give him credit for putting together the 2013 Sox. He focused on getting good club house guys - Victorino, Gomes, Ross, Napoli etc - and it worked perfectly. They won the World Series despite not having the most talented team IMHO. He has made some glaring mistakes along the way. He traded away the next Ozzie Smith(Iglesias) to rent a pitcher for less than a year. He failed to make even a reasonable offer to Jon Lester in an effort to retain him. He traded away John Lackey for Alan Craig(in the minors) and Joe Kelly(maybe should be in the minors). He spent a small fortune on Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez. Pablo has gotten steadily worse each year in the majors and Hanley has always been a headcase for every team he has played for. As was mentioned above, he gambled that the pitchers would somehow have career years or that the offensive would bring opponents to their knees.

Now the manager. Some days I feel sorry for John Farrell and other days I can't stand him. He is so stoic than he has created a team that has been referred to has the Legion of Lethargy. I was actually encouraged to see Miley show some emotion in the dugout the other day. There should be a lot more of that going on. His team except for rare occasions is a base by base team. They have several guys who can run but they rarely run. Mookie Betts is a talented guy that loves to hit home runs but his success rate is pretty low. He should be hitting line drives and bunting and getting on base. I think Farrell is wasting his talent.

The chemistry. This team does not seem to have any. Hanley is a negative impact guy. Yes, he is extremely talented but it has to be discouraging for the team to watch him play left field. He just doesn't seem to care. He doesn't run out ground balls, he forgets how may outs there are and has taken the team out of innings when they have been mounting a rally. Mike Napoli has apparently forgotten how to hit. May he is getting too much sleep.

I envision what might have been. Bogaerts at third, Iglesias at short, Pedroia at second and Rizzo/Middlebrooks on first. Lester and Lackey heading up the rotation and Miller closing. Oh well there is still Uconn.

Reaction Score
In 3 days they've gone from 9 GB in the AL East to 6 GB.
It's amazing what good SP can do for your chances to make a run. Let's see if Porcello can stop crapping the bed tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I sure hope that no one is seriously considering sending Blake Swihart back to Pawtucket. He is the catcher of the future. Christian Vazquez and he have big futures in Boston. Ryan Hanigan probably should be traded. Sandy Leon needs to stay for the rest of this year to guide Clay Buchholtz along.

Reaction Score
Do the Sox finally have a top-of-the-rotation starter? Buchholtz has been looking very good for his last 11 starts.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever taken Amtrak into Boston for a Red Sox game? I know you have to get off and take a few local trains, but I'm not familiar with Boston. I'd be training out of New London/Mystic area and want to know if its just worth it to drive.

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever taken Amtrak into Boston for a Red Sox game? I know you have to get off and take a few local trains, but I'm not familiar with Boston. I'd be training out of New London/Mystic area and want to know if its just worth it to drive.

Well you're going to a Red Sox game so you tell me, is it worth the drive? :oops:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well you're going to a Red Sox game so you tell me, is it worth the drive? :oops:
Fair point mau, but I want to take in a Yankees v. Red Sox game. Yankee Stadium isn't what it used to be. Need a change of scenery and I've never been to Fenway.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

I'm not a fan of Amtrak in general, mainly due to price and a tendency to run way behind schedule. I've never traveled to Fenway from NL County, but I would guess that your best bet would be taking 395/290 up and switching to the Mass Pike in Auburn, then getting off in Newton and taking the T in from Riverside station.

Reaction Score
Fair point mau, but I want to take in a Yankees v. Red Sox game. Yankee Stadium isn't what it used to be. Need a change of scenery and I've never been to Fenway.

Never been to Fenway? You need to go it is a great baseball venue it really is. The pre-game can be as fun and safe as you want and all within walking distance. Great bars, food and entertainment all within a couple blocks then being able to walk Yawkey is fun. I am a Yankee fan who wished the Stadium had as much fun available outside the place.

Be sure to go!

Reaction Score
Never been to Fenway? You need to go it is a great baseball venue it really is. The pre-game can be as fun and safe as you want and all within walking distance. Great bars, food and entertainment all within a couple blocks then being able to walk Yawkey is fun. I am a Yankee fan who wished the Stadium had as much fun available outside the place.

Be sure to go!
Years ago (30+) my wife and I would attend 6 or 7 Red Sox games a year at Fenway. We would drive in and park within walking distance of Fenway. Can this still be done or is it best to take mass transit in? We just moved back (Pawcatuck) from San Diego and would like to go to a couple of games if we can.

Reaction Score
Years ago (30+) my wife and I would attend 6 or 7 Red Sox games a year at Fenway. We would drive in and park within walking distance of Fenway. Can this still be done or is it best to take mass transit in? We just moved back (Pawcatuck) from San Diego and would like to go to a couple of games if we can.

Never found a problem driving in there directly except the 40-50 bucks to park it. Little traffic issues but nothing crazy ever. Easy to find spots too.

Reaction Score
Well back on June 15 I posted a summary of the Sox (Is this a bad team, a poorly managed team or just bad chemistry?).

I think everything I said then still applies. Now we sit five weeks later and things have not gotten any better. Ideally, I think I'd start my housecleaning with Ben Cherington who created this mess. Except for 2013 which now seems to be an aberration, he has created a last place team with the worst record in all of the American League and he has done with a ton of money to spend. He should go but he'll probably just get another vote of confidence, so how can we help him.

I would like to see them unload Hanley Ramirez. The thought of him playing first base is horrible to me. People tend to undervalue first basemen but I think it is an important position. A good first baseman saves a ton of throwing errors and makes the whole infield look better. To wit, Mark Teixeira. Hanley is bad chemistry.

Maybe, just maybe, someone can be convinced to take the Panda. He was supposed to hit and shore up the infield but has done neither. He is totally undisciplined at the plate and has been poor defensively. He cannot seem to drive in any runs and will swing at anything.

Ryan Hanigan should be traded. He does not represent the future for Red Sox catching and maybe the Sox can get something for him.

I would be willing to trade Rusney Castillo, Jackie Bradley Jr, Allen Craig, and Devin Marrero for some prospects. I know they would have to eat most of Rusney's salary but maybe someone would be interested. Except for Rodriquez, Johnson and Tazawa, I would trade any of our terrible pitchers.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well back on June 15 I posted a summary of the Sox (Is this a bad team, a poorly managed team or just bad chemistry?).

I think everything I said then still applies. Now we sit five weeks later and things have not gotten any better. Ideally, I think I'd start my housecleaning with Ben Cherington who created this mess. Except for 2013 which now seems to be an aberration, he has created a last place team with the worst record in all of the American League and he has done with a ton of money to spend. He should go but he'll probably just get another vote of confidence, so how can we help him.

I would like to see them unload Hanley Ramirez. The thought of him playing first base is horrible to me. People tend to undervalue first basemen but I think it is an important position. A good first baseman saves a ton of throwing errors and makes the whole infield look better. To wit, Mark Teixeira. Hanley is bad chemistry.

Maybe, just maybe, someone can be convinced to take the Panda. He was supposed to hit and shore up the infield but has done neither. He is totally undisciplined at the plate and has been poor defensively. He cannot seem to drive in any runs and will swing at anything.

Ryan Hanigan should be traded. He does not represent the future for Red Sox catching and maybe the Sox can get something for him.

I would be willing to trade Rusney Castillo, Jackie Bradley Jr, Allen Craig, and Devin Marrero for some prospects. I know they would have to eat most of Rusney's salary but maybe someone would be interested. Except for Rodriquez, Johnson and Tazawa, I would trade any of our terrible pitchers.

I agree with most of your points. The future of our catching is Vasquez and Swihart - Hanigan has the job because Vasquez is injured. With Swihart healthy, I want to see him getting the majority of PT there, and I don't think that Hanigan is an atrocious enough backup to be traded.

I don't want to give up on Rusney just yet, but I don't see the latter three positions players you mentioned contributing for us. The problem with them is finding takers.

I also would not trade Buchholz (despite his year-to-year inconsistencies).

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your points. The future of our catching is Vasquez and Swihart - Hanigan has the job because Vasquez is injured. With Swihart healthy, I want to see him getting the majority of PT there, and I don't think that Hanigan is an atrocious enough backup to be traded.

I don't want to give up on Rusney just yet, but I don't see the latter three positions players you mentioned contributing for us. The problem with them is finding takers.

I also would not trade Buchholz (despite his year-to-year inconsistencies).
The problem with Rusney is that he is so fragile it's hard to tell if he will ever be any good. The same can be said for Buchholtz. He has these streaks where he appears to be ready to be the top-of-the-line starter and then he gets hurt. His recovery time is painfully long.
We keep talking about the Red Sox strong farm system but I don't see too much down there to be excited about. Most of the teams are playing sub-500 baseball and I don't see anyone right now who is ready to contribute. Even our young phenom from Cuba, Yoan Moncada, is struggling. He is hitting .275 at the A-level and is on pace to set a new record for errors. He is striking out at an alarming pace and has only 4 homers. He seems to be a base-stealer however.
Theo made some mistakes but we had strong teams during his era and the farm system was getting better. Ben has not shown much of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom