The Official 2014 Baseball Winter Meetings Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Official 2014 Baseball Winter Meetings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Need to trade top prospects for Hamels or Zimmerman or pay over 100 mill for Cueto or 200 mill for Scherzer.

Sox misreading market for Lester in spring and early summer is killing us....

We need an ace.
I have a feeling that the Sox are probably done except for possibly adding a bullpen pitcher. Maybe they can trade a few of their 60 outfielders to get one. This is a deep but mediocre rotation and they better be prepared to lead the league in RS if they want to make the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Still don't get why the Yankees would pay so much for Miller, who has never closed, and let Robertson get away. Is there a new philosophy? George Steinbrenner must be rolling over in his grave.

Can't sign Robertson for more than a year or 2 with Betances wanting to close. One, maybe 2 more years before Betances would want to take that spot or you could lose him. 4 years anyway was too much for him. Miller will share some opportunities with him this year - by committee. Problem is neither will get much of a chance because they can't score runs with that lineup!

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges, obviously. Miley and Porcello are appetizers, not the main course. At least I hope so!!!

Porcello is better than Masterson! Masterson is Calimari, Porcello's Chicken Parm at least;)

Reaction Score
Still don't get why the Yankees would pay so much for Miller, who has never closed, and let Robertson get away. Is there a new philosophy? George Steinbrenner must be rolling over in his grave.

There was a $10 million difference. Miller 4 years $36 DROB 4 for $46.

Could have had a scary good bullpen keeping DROB. Turns out they never made an offer to Robertson. They are on a budget now, per Hal.

I understand they are paying off back ends of horrible contracts......AFRAUD, Teixeira, CC, and an ill advised signing last winter in Beltran, but there are tickets to sell.

There are no farewell tours this year to drive "fannies in the seats". If season ticket sales don't pick up, it is hard to think they won't be in on Scherzer despite the fact that he is presently "not on their radar". I think they will pony up the money to keep Headly and get another back end of the bullpen guy like Soriano or Romo.

The goal is to get into the play-offs. They can still patch things together & grab a Wild Card.

Reaction Score
Can't sign Robertson for more than a year or 2 with Betances wanting to close. One, maybe 2 more years before Betances would want to take that spot or you could lose him. 4 years anyway was too much for him. Miller will share some opportunities with him this year - by committee. Problem is neither will get much of a chance because they can't score runs with that lineup!

There is a school of thought that sez' your best bullpen guys should be used to get the toughest outs in the last third of the game. I think Betances was MUCH more valuable to the Yanks last year than Robertson, Robertson was a B+ closer, but Betances got the tougher outs.

The line-up is a question mark at this point but it is also a work in progress. They will get better, the team they have right now is not the team they are going to war with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom