The Official 2014 Baseball Winter Meetings Thread | The Boneyard

The Official 2014 Baseball Winter Meetings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Baseball Winter Meetings in San Diego

So, the Sox imported Yoenis Cespedes (trade deadline), Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval. Quite the aggressive moves by the Bosox. Now they need to focus on pitching.

The Yanks are pursuing super reliever Andrew Miller, as are the Dodgers, while David Robertson fields offers. Are they after Max Scherzer?

Mets have amazing pitching. They have Lucas Duda!! They have been quiet.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So, I can't edit posts.

The Mets have brought in Michael Cuddyer. Forgot about that.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Looks like Andrew Miller is signing very soon. Just might the Yanks:

Andrew Miller

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
All right...Brian Cashman is alive and has imported his next SS. Then he goes and gets stoopid by saying he will platoon with some guy named Brendan Ryan. Yeah, uh huh. Thumbs up on Didi Gregorious from this guy.

And Andrew Miller has improved the bullpen. Yeah, he's near 30 but he is an incredible rp. Weird how he was God-awful over 6 seasons and suddenly he is all-World. Here's hoping for 4 great seasons.

Winter Meetings start Monday.

Reaction Score
Andrew Miller always had very good stuff. His problem was throwing strikes early in the count. He seemed to have solved that problem in Boston. Miller can eat innings and also spot start and he'll be a good addition to the Yankees bullpen; very good pickup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The way the Sox have stockpiled LF/1B/DH types you'd think Lou Gorman is back in charge,

Reaction Score
Samardjia close to being traded to White Sox as well for prospects. That's all of a sudden not a bad White Sox team if these two moves carry forward.

Reaction Score
Lester close to deal with either Chicago Cubs, Giants or Dodgers with Sox likely odd man out. Sounds like offers are getting big, maybe as much as 7 years by the time all is said and done.

Reaction Score
Lester close to deal with either Chicago Cubs, Giants or Dodgers with Sox likely odd man out. Sounds like offers are getting big, maybe as much as 7 years by the time all is said and done.
The Sox should have made Lester a serious offer last spring but now he appears to be too expensive since they need 2 starters.

Reaction Score
The Sox should have made Lester a serious offer last spring but now he appears to be too expensive since they need 2 starters.
According to one reporter it is down to the Cubs and Giants. Normally I would think that the Giants would be the better destination for Lester but if Theo is involved, I would not count the Cubs out. It's hard to speculate what it would have taken to sign Lester in the spring but he is certainly sitting in cat-bird seat right now. The Sox just made a multi-year offer to Justin Masterson. I would like to see them pick up him.

Reaction Score
Lester is a Cub. Now the Sox turn their attention to trade partners and signing the likes of Masterson.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sox really screwed the pooch with Lester. Could've had him for $100M, give or take. Then again, they didn't know he'd have the best season of his career. Funny how often that happens with guys in their walk years...

At least the Sox have assets to trade, but we need 2 frontline starters.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the good old days when the Sox could bash with anyone but seven runs were often not enough. I still would like to see them hang on to their prospects (Swihart, Owens, Betts, Johnson and Rodriguez) pick up what they can thru trades and if this is a rebuilding year, I can live with it.

Reaction Score
Sox really screwed the pooch with Lester. Could've had him for $100M, give or take. Then again, they didn't know he'd have the best season of his career. Funny how often that happens with guys in their walk years...

At least the Sox have assets to trade, but we need 2 frontline starters.
As long as you are able to do it, I've found that giving employees raises or bonuses before you have to was good business. The Sox made the mistake of playing games with Lester and his agent in the Spring. They ended up offering him 6/$135MM and still lost their ace. The only pitcher in his class available is Sherzer and he will cost even more. The Sox were dumb and arrogant in the Spring and now they are holding their hands on their ass trying to figure out how to get a #1 starter. Idiots!

Reaction Score
As long as you are able to do it, I've found that giving employees raises or bonuses before you have to was good business. The Sox made the mistake of playing games with Lester and his agent in the Spring. They ended up offering him 6/$135MM and still lost their ace. The only pitcher in his class available is Sherzer and he will cost even more. The Sox were dumb and arrogant in the Spring and now they are holding their hands on their ass trying to figure out how to get a #1 starter. Idiots!
The Sox have no real chance to get Max Scherzer. I am sure that the Dodgers, Tigers, Giants, Angels and the Yankees will be in that hunt. My guess is that he ends up with the Dodgers. They could have a shot at James Shields but he is no longer a #1 starter. Everyone else will cost two or three prospects. Of this I am certain, if Theo were still the Sox GM, Lester would be signed sealed and delivered. Theo almost always gets his man. However, sometimes it is best to miss. If you get every free agent that you are after, you are, for sure, paying too much.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges, obviously. Miley and Porcello are appetizers, not the main course. At least I hope so!!!

Yup. Justin Masterson! Dinner is served!

Reaction Score
The Sox have no real chance to get Max Scherzer. I am sure that the Dodgers, Tigers, Giants, Angels and the Yankees will be in that hunt. My guess is that he ends up with the Dodgers. They could have a shot at James Shields but he is no longer a #1 starter. Everyone else will cost two or three prospects. Of this I am certain, if Theo were still the Sox GM, Lester would be signed sealed and delivered. Theo almost always gets his man. However, sometimes it is best to miss. If you get every free agent that you are after, you are, for sure, paying too much.
Agree on Scherzer, the Sox have ever been mentioned but please no Shields. He is past his prime. I'm not liking the way the top of the rotation is looking especially if they make the playoffs. Right now it is Bucholtz #1 and Kelly #2; not exactly Kofax and Drysdale.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Agree on Scherzer, the Sox have ever been mentioned but please no Shields. He is past his prime. I'm not liking the way the top of the rotation is looking especially if they make the playoffs. Right now it is Bucholtz #1 and Kelly #2; not exactly Kofax and Drysdale.
Or Eckersley and Drago.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yup. Justin Masterson! Dinner is served!

Ugh. Hey, it could be a value signing, if his poor production was really due to injury. He was very good in 2013.

I hope the Sox aren't thinking of being one of those girls who just orders a bunch of appetizers.

We need an ENTREE.

Reaction Score
Need to trade top prospects for Hamels or Zimmerman or pay over 100 mill for Cueto or 200 mill for Scherzer.

Sox misreading market for Lester in spring and early summer is killing us....

We need an ace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul